Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

2 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Didn't mark madden try to say watt left without team interview... All that guy does is say outlandish stuff and ppl eat it up ... I can't stand listening to his radio show , I turn it off anytime it's on

Yup. Like others he just misses the days when players did coke, were alcoholics, did roids, and were womanizers; yet media and the police covered it up due to one feel good commercial. 

Honestly one read up on those 70’s teams and you will realize what Juju and Chase do is akin to forgetting to use their blinker in traffic. 

3 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Didn't mark madden try to say watt left without team interview... All that guy does is say outlandish stuff and ppl eat it up ... I can't stand listening to his radio show , I turn it off anytime it's on

That's what sports talk has evolved to -- whatever reaction gets you the most clicks. Didn't matter that he was wrong. He just dug in his feet on his position, ultimately saying the player was lying, and just laughed as the comments came rolling in. 

I cannot stand these types of people in sports media. Bums be out that Cowherd has taken that route. I cant stand First Take's fake sides. Gimme Russillo, SVP, Kevin Clark, and the rest of the "boring, let's just talk reality and sports". 

In terms of this quote, its really not that bad. He says the word diva and everyone lights into it. It's just not a bad quote unless you want to make it a bad quote. And there's way to many people that want to lineup for those clicks rather than actually talk about it. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

That's what sports talk has evolved to -- whatever reaction gets you the most clicks. Didn't matter that he was wrong. He just dug in his feet on his position, ultimately saying the player was lying, and just laughed as the comments came rolling in. 

I cannot stand these types of people in sports media. Bums be out that Cowherd has taken that route. I cant stand First Take's fake sides. Gimme Russillo, SVP, Kevin Clark, and the rest of the "boring, let's just talk reality and sports". 

In terms of this quote, its really not that bad. He says the word diva and everyone lights into it. It's just not a bad quote unless you want to make it a bad quote. And there's way to many people that want to lineup for those clicks rather than actually talk about it. 

Funny thing is Madden has admitted too his show was ok when he tried being a legit reporter, and when he went heel and said outrageous things he hit it big. 

Id add Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen to the list of guys who are good too. 

Just now, warfelg said:

Funny thing is Madden has admitted too his show was ok when he tried being a legit reporter, and when he went heel and said outrageous things he hit it big. 

Id add Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen to the list of guys who are good too. 

Oh absolutely, I love Dan and Rich. They are great. They got pushed out of my podcast shuffle though. I got wayyyyy to many right now considering my drive time for work was crushed during the pandemic. 

Didn't know that about Madden. That stuff drives me nuts when they tell you to your face that they are not legit and people still run to them. There is a political one i'll keep the name out of for the sake of skimming political talk, but he has a couple actual lawsuits where his defense teams arguments were "This is entertainment and nothing he says should be taken as fact".

Media is for entertainment now, and unfortunately, the worst of them have figured out how to be the "best". I just wanna hear people cut up tape and talk sports. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yup. Like others he just misses the days when players did coke, were alcoholics, did roids, and were womanizers; yet media and the police covered it up due to one feel good commercial. 

Honestly one read up on those 70’s teams and you will realize what Juju and Chase do is akin to forgetting to use their blinker in traffic. 

my aunts and uncles have so many stories about the 70s Pirates/steelers players behaving poorly off the field. My aunt worked for both teams and said the Joe Greene was the only "star" player that was not acting wild in the streets...

46 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

You can try to make it about Mark Madden or the media in general, but it was the Steelers' own website that made the diva comment. Madden is right. That doesn't get printed without someone in the organization wanting it to be printed.

He is not right, he is biased towards a story. That' doesn't mean the word itself hasn't been said, but he is angling it to be some awful statement from the team. Labriola has deadlines and quota's to meet, just like any other reporter. I am sure he isn't getting edited by Rooney himself and I am also sure that he wouldn't be hanging out the team's laundry or slanting negatively towards a potential centerpiece of the organization on the team's own site. 

Most likely scenario -- that was a word Bob used on his own volition. The idea that it "doesn't get printed without someone wanting it to be printed" is foolish. And a guy that spent his life in the media would know that, but he wouldn't care because its way less controversial to talk about - so heel turn it is. You can go the whole way back to 2 weeks ago where he straight up said TJ was lying about his exit interview to prove that. Madden isn't going to tell it how it actually is, he tells it how he wants it viewed. 

Claypool didn't need very long to establish himself as a difference-maker, as a receiver capable of making plays down the field, and he was the offense's primary deep threat throughout the season. If there was a negative, it was that it seemed as though Claypool's diva quotient increased consistently over the course of his rookie season. Whether that turns into a problem or comes to be viewed in the future as growing pains will develop over time.

I mean, seriously. Read the whole quote on Claypool. Does this read like someone sharing a direct quote from inside the organization saying "Chase Claypool is a diva and its a problem"? Gave a pro and gave a con when talking about the future. Is this stuff really that controversial? No....unless you want it to be. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am also sure that he wouldn't be hanging out the team's laundry or slanting negatively towards a potential centerpiece of the organization on the team's own site. 

Yet that's exactly the impression he created when he used that word. So the guy is either an idiot surrounded by idiot editors who created a story out of thin air, or he felt it was ok to label the teams rookie of the year WR a potential diva. An if it's the latter, I really doubt he feels its ok unless others in the organization not only feel that way but want it out publicly. If it's the former, he should be fired because it defeats the entire point of the team having its own propaganda arm to begin with.

It isn't just Madden making this obvious connection. When the team's own site takes a jab at a player like that, everyone in the media makes that connection. It's the same take Florio had on the story.

What about Florio's opinion required a source? He was stating the obvious - the team websites basically act as propaganda arms for the teams. That's their purpose. It isn't where you go, typically, for hard hitting reality based takes on a team. It's also not where you typically expect to see players called out in such a way and it raises obvious questions when it does happen.

As I said, someone running that website needs to be fired if that was just their own hot take because they obviously don't understand their own function.

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Yet that's exactly the impression he created when he used that word.

You're projecting the intent of the word. Could just be the word an old white guy thought described the usage of social media which is very me focused.

7 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

So the guy is either an idiot surrounded by idiot editors who created a story out of thin air, or he felt it was ok to label the teams rookie of the year WR a potential diva

Or....are you sitting down, because this option will blow your mind....

It was simply a word he decided to use with no ill-intent to describe a players usage of social media where is learning to share his voice and its use was taken out of context in order to get clicks and views. 

Surprise! Reality can be boring sometimes.