Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

I personally don’t understand the continued fascination with bringing Dupree back. Gonna have to pay game breaker money for a guy who isn’t a game breaker and going to do it while Highsmith has 3 years at an extremely friendly rate and showed really well in his forced starts  

Use that money elsewhere  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I personally don’t understand the continued fascination with bringing Dupree back. Gonna have to pay game breaker money for a guy who isn’t a game breaker and going to do it while Highsmith has 3 years at an extremely friendly rate and showed really well in his forced starts  

Use that money elsewhere  

Cuz he doesn’t Tik Tok. 

The reality is we develop pass rushers and WRs really well. We shouldn’t keep either guy. But Juju’s social posts about wanting to be back, his mom talking about it, and Ben saying at every turn how he wants him back makes me think it’s gonna be done. I think that the Steelers just don’t want to set the number, then learn they bid against themselves. That’s the Colbert MO with FAs (and I could easily criticize this). 

Honestly I feel it’s funny this perception I get that people want to talk about how good Ben still is (uh no) but say we need an elite defense (which is what you say when your QB is subpar). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree and that's exactly why I believe we are going to lose him.

Although, Lavonte David's deal may not favor the market for guys like Dupree.

It'll be interesting to see what Kenny Golladay gets because that might be the bar for Juju.

Golladay should get significantly more than Juju IMO. 

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Use that money elsewhere  

Dupree is like Woodley and Haggans IMO insomuch as he is a nice complimentary piece but not really a stand alone defensive force.   Dupree was just okay at best until Watt became an elite player.   I think Dupree will get paid like a defensive star as opposed to a good complimentary player.

I'd like to keep Dupree, but not for top end money.   Highsmith was drafted to fill the role Dupree plays.   Will he be as good as Dupree?   I dont know, but Id take that chance over paying Dupree huge money.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Cuz he doesn’t Tik Tok.

I laughed pretty hard at this 😆

In regards to Derek Watt, he was never going anywhere. The savings on a cut wasn't that great considering they would have paid for another FB/STer anyway. I am glad he is still around though, because I am excited to see what a more progressive OC does with him. I'm not going to sell that he can be Kyle Jzushebeyytwtck, but I do think he can be a good player in more creative offense. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We've got a good track record of that not happening, but I could definitely see JuJu bucking that trend. If he goes to GB it's going to be nuts. 

Aaron Rodgers back shoulder throws to JuJu on the rails would be passing game word for adult literature. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Aaron Rodgers back shoulder throws to JuJu on the rails would be passing game word for adult literature. 

The two places with cap space I fear it the most:

Arizona (Nuke oppo is deadly) and Indy (Wentz needs a guy like Juju). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

The reality is we develop pass rushers and WRs really well

Jarvis Jones says hi. It took years to get Dupree to the level he's at now. The team found two edge guys after years of looking and using premium picks on the position.. Highsmith was not ready last year, and got dinged up himself. Highsmith was a liability against the run, as well, which is where he'd probably struggle the most to fill in for Dupree.

I am far more comfortable with the notion of James Washington stepping up in three WR sets and Claypool continuing to develop than I am of Highsmith stepping in for Dupree and not missing a beat. And the team can make due if one WR gets hurt. If Watt or Highsmith gets hurt next year, the team is fielding absolute garbage at OLB. Sort of like what happened in the playoff game.

Dupree has become a blue chip player. Juju has been a disappointment for two seasons in a row now.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Honestly I feel it’s funny this perception I get that people want to talk about how good Ben still is (uh no) but say we need an elite defense (which is what you say when your QB is subpar). 

Youd think if I were so worried about Ben's declining ability I'd be desperate for the team to hang on to any talent at WR the team could. But I'm not. I'll roll with what the team has at WR and hope for another guy to be added late in the draft.

It took years for Tomlin to build a competent defense. It took a lot of premium draft picks and a few key FA acquisitions. You'll notice there aren't many guys on that defense who weren't first or second round draft choices. But there you are claiming this team has done some great job developing edge guys as if they weren't using top draft choices and it didn't take years for it come together after a few misses.