Lamar Jackson 2019 or Josh Allen 2020?

notthatbluestuff

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

One won unanimous MVP with a hobbled rookie as his best WR while leading the league in touchdown passes as well as setting records for rushing.

The other is 2020 Josh Allen.

I mean, 2020 Rodgers wins MVP over 2019 Lamar, no question. It’s gonna go down as a Top 10 QB season ever. 

However, I will say Lamar’s 2019 is better than Allen’s 2020. Although, not by much. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I mean, 2020 Rodgers wins MVP over 2019 Lamar, no question. It’s gonna go down as a Top 10 QB season ever. 

However, I will say Lamar’s 2019 is better than Allen’s 2020. Although, not by much. 

I think it's not even close tbh

PFR Comparison

Their advanced passing stats are all basically the same, but Lamar has a 30 point advantage in TD%+ which is the only noticeable one that's different. Everything else is pretty much within 5 points.

Then you factor in the rushing stats and it's easily Lamar. Then you take into account supporting cast and Buffalo's #3 WR is better than Lamar's #1 was last year, so that's an extra bonus for Lamar's passing stats.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it's not even close tbh

PFR Comparison

Their advanced passing stats are all basically the same, but Lamar has a 30 point advantage in TD%+ which is the only noticeable one that's different. Everything else is pretty much within 5 points.

Then you factor in the rushing stats and it's easily Lamar. Then you take into account supporting cast and Buffalo's #3 WR is better than Lamar's #1 was last year, so that's an extra bonus for Lamar's passing stats.

I’d certainly say it’s “close.”

Probably close enough, that I wouldn’t be upset with someone picking Allen due to a homer or recency bias.

I think Lamar certainly has a healthy enough advantage in the statistics that he should otherwise be a clear victor when removing such bias.

Edit: Though maybe this is just semantics, as I’d prefer “healthy gap” vs “not close” whereas to you, those terms might be one and the same.
——

Now if both seasons happened the same year, they probably give it to Allen because of the league’s infatuation with passing numbers. Even if I think Lamar’s was ‘better’.

And considering Lamar only played like 13 1/2 games due to not finishing so many 4th quarters and sitting out that final game, Allen’s bulk numbers probably also elevate him above Lamar... even if on a per drive basis, Lamar was certainly more effective.
——

I think a lot of our pieces last season were heavily overrated. Mark Ingram was a ‘good’ RB, on a similar level as a 2020 Zack Moss. 2019 Gus Edwards was better than Singletary, but slightly worse than Moss (now 2020 Gus is easily on another level).

The OL is advantage Baltimore, but not as significantly as some might expect. We win in run blocking, but in pass pro, it’s advantage Bills... just less significant as our run blocking.

Most would easily take Diggs/Beasley/Davis/J.Brown over Andrews/H.Brown/Hurst/Snead as a “big four” so to speak.

Yet both the 2019 Ravens and 2020 Bills fielded the same exact Drive Success Rate. Only the Ravens faced more defensive talent having had to face the NFCW (like the 2020 Bills) but also facing the AFCE with the Pats and Bills defenses in a better state, not to mention the Steelers unit was at roughly the same level.

Overall defense was up in 2019, yet the Ravens offense possessed significant differences to their offensive peers. Nearly 2 additional yards per drive (YPD) over the second best offense and over 0.38 pts/drive over the second place Chiefs. To put that into perspective, the 2020 Packers had a 0.24 advantage of the 2nd place squads.

What’s more even removing the vacuum, Lamar led an offensive attack that finished within that elite 3.0+ PPD Territory at 3.08. Which was still 0.1 PPD higher than the 2020 Bills 2.98 number.

So, while the DSR was the same, the Ravens got more yards (41.77 vs 40.33) and more points (see above). This while our drives saw far less success once Lamar left the game in the late 3rd Qtr, so those numbers are actually somewhat deflated.
——

So while this argument is I’d say “close” I don’t think if we’re simply talking regular seasons, Lamar’s season is somehow not seeing a “healthy” advantage over Allen’s season.

Smashed Vick’s unlikely to be broken record. Tied Big Ben for the most Perfect Passer Performances within a season. Led easily the most efficient offense in the league outside of one guided by a healthy Mahomes.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

Lamar's 2019 was one of the best QB seasons of all time

Agreed.

Though I think Allen’s is also up there. In terms of seasons I’ve witnessed (since 2000- when I began to understand the game), I’d probably put Lamar’s top 5, while Allen top 10-15. Would obviously have to look back over the seasons and such to be sure where exactly I’d have them.

Allen is incredible and an absolute dude to gameplan against.

Edited by diamondbull424

12 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Didn't Allen have a tiny little rough patch in the middle of the season?

Don't think Lamar did anything other than dominate every single game he played, unless I'm mistaken.

Lamar and it's not close 

Except for that playoff game. 

he didn’t dominate The browns in their first game, KC game,’or the Titans playoff game.