Updated: Todd Downing to be named OC.

KingTitan

4 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

I aint mad at it.. gotta do research on his raider days but from the moment he was hired, as a former OC, i thought he would be the coordinator if arthur smith took off... also heard he was responsible for the red zone game plan over the last two years, which was largely successful.

Ya I see a few people not thrilled on Twitter but he’s been here so maybe this time around it works out for him 

Hope it works out 

Now we wait and see what happens with the defense

If we hire from within on that side of the ball then I’m going to be mad lol 

4 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Ya I see a few people not thrilled on Twitter but he’s been here so maybe this time around it works out for him 

Hope it works out 

Now we wait and see what happens with the defense

If we hire from within on that side of the ball then I’m going to be mad lol 

lol i feel a lot of people would be but..

Certainly a boring move, but I’m happy to read that Downing had as a lot of experience playing/coaching QBs

we need to run this O more thru RT than Henry and live with the results. We will never win a SB if we think running Derrick all January is the answer

• Like 2

hope it works out for you guys, but yeah his one year as OC here with Raiders was unbelievably bad. wasn't all his fault but his nickname was Todd "4th" Down-ing .we had a pretty promising offense the year before he was promoted to oc, and we even added more talent to that offense in the off-season. 

with todd as OC, literally almost every player on offense that year had a career worst year. it wasn't all his fault, and obviously the core of players we had were proven over time to be not as good as we thought. but I just remember downing being lambasted week after week by analysts calling him out for running a bland uncreative offense. Louis reddick, kurt warner took him to task numerous times on twitter pointing out how predictable Downings offense was.

that was 4 yrs ago hopefully he's grown and I don't think it's possible to mess up with the talent you guys have.

• Like 1

Makes sense tho, just because the verbiage will be the same and the offense won’t be learning a new system. Hopefully the offense stays on track and doesn’t regress. 

if he was responsible for the red zone game planning that makes me feel a little better since our red zone offense has been good

20 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

He’s being promoted to run it back. I’ll be fascinated to see what Arthur Smith’s offense in ATL looks like, because I think there’s a real chance that Vrabel has a lot more influence on our style of offense than we think.

This is what I’m worried about.

unless you’re KC/Mahomes or Brady/Pats... “running it back” never works

• Like 1

If I’m looking for optimism, he’s been a pretty successful positional coach at multiple stops. One rough year as an OC isn’t a killer. But man is there a lot of pressure if you’re going to go the inside hire route for a guy with one year of playcalling experience that saw an offense go from the seventh ranked scoring O to the 23rd. Especially if you’re not even going to bother with a coaching search.