Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

Listening to the Fan today, James Merilliat has a good theory that we won't be spending a lot in free agency this year. In this theory, it kind of a prove-it year for both Fangio and Lock. Both have shown some splashes, but have shown some diminished returns as well. If both/either do well, time to bring them back, if not time to clean house but Paton will have some rolled over money to spend on his new regime or build upon the success moving forward. Seems like a win-win for Paton, covering his bases but seems a bit unfair to both Vic and the Broncos fans IMO. Feels like if we go on another 5-12-ish season, we'd have a lot of free agent cash for next years crop, another high draft choice to start the new regime, along with a built-up roster from this year's draft but other than Paton, who wants to wait ??

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

eems a bit unfair to both Vic and the Broncos fans IMO. Feels like if we go on another 5-12-ish season, we'd have a lot of free agent cash for next years crop, another high draft choice to start the new regime, along with a built-up roster from this year's draft but other than Paton, who wants to wait ??

Spending big in free agency also never works. I get it was intstumental in our superbowl run but 9 times out of 10 free agency is where overpriced guys go to get paid because of supply and demand. 

I prefer a high upside player with a reasonable deal so I don't mind the patient game. Seemed minnesota was really only aggressive going after kirk so I'm not going to be dissapinted.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Listening to the Fan today, James Merilliat has a good theory that we won't be spending a lot in free agency this year. In this theory, it kind of a prove-it year for both Fangio and Lock. Both have shown some splashes, but have shown some diminished returns as well. If both/either do well, time to bring them back, if not time to clean house but Paton will have some rolled over money to spend on his new regime or build upon the success moving forward. Seems like a win-win for Paton, covering his bases but seems a bit unfair to both Vic and the Broncos fans IMO. Feels like if we go on another 5-12-ish season, we'd have a lot of free agent cash for next years crop, another high draft choice to start the new regime, along with a built-up roster from this year's draft but other than Paton, who wants to wait ??

To be fair FA and aging vet acquisition is seldom the way to build the team long term.   CB is probably the one area we need to address in FA, the draft isn’t enough (ideally we do both).    But that FA spending spree from 2018 combined with the stopgap of getting Veldheer, is how Elway used most of Von’s restructure.   And within a week.   

I’m all for the 2nd wave with guys on 2nd contracts who have some upside and/or aren’t past their prime.  That means it’s a leap of faith.  They won’t be sexy signings.   But those are how you get the Manny Sanders, Kareem Jackson’s & yes Shelby Harris’ of FA.   It also means sometimes you get the Callahans & James.   But that’s why not going nuts in the first wave served Elway well.   Until we’re as good as we were in 2013-14 going big in FA seems like a waste.  The value tier is where it’s at - at least until our O & QB situation improves significantly.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

IMO our number one priority is to get Simmons signed and add that starting CB, and perhaps a replacement for Von since it appears he's on his way out. After the Harris signing we'll have $21M or so, $14M going to Simmons, also seems like Kareem will be re-structured. 

2 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

IMO our number one priority is to get Simmons signed and add that starting CB, and perhaps a replacement for Von since it appears he's on his way out. After the Harris signing we'll have $21M or so, $14M going to Simmons, also seems like Kareem will be re-structured. 

I don’t think extending Simmons will be contentious.   The top safety salary is so close to the tag number. 

If the contract numbers bottom out I’d be interested in 2 young CB’s TBH.    No 3rd - 4th contract guys though.   Young and ceiling and opportunity for huge value gain in 2022+. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair FA and aging vet acquisition is seldom the way to build the team long term.   CB is probably the one area we can’t do nothing.    But that FA spending spree from 2018 combined with the stopgap of getting Veldheer, is how Elway used most of Von’s restructure.   And within a week.   

I’m all for the 2nd wave with guys on 2nd contracts who have some upside and/or aren’t past their prime.  That means it’s a leap of faith.  They won’t be sexy signings.   But those are how you get the Manny Sanders, Kareem Jackson’s & yes Shelby Harris’ of FA.   It also means sometimes you get the Callahans & James.   But that’s why not going nuts in the first wave served Elway well.   Until we’re as good as we were in 2013-14 going big in FA seems like a waste.  The value tier is where it’s at - at least until our O & QB situation improves significantly.  

Definitely seems like what Paton wants to do, but he'd better shown some serious talent evaluation if he wants that 6yr contract to run it's course IMO.

2 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Definitely seems like what Paton wants to do, but he'd better shown some serious talent evaluation if he wants that 6yr contract to run it's course IMO.

It’s year 1 though.  He has a fair amount of leash.   Fangio on the other hand...not fair that it’s so different, but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They have until July 15.   I imagine this happens after the big waves of FA.  The money saved then gives them room to operate for the draft & TC moves.  

I'd counter with "how does Justin feel" making him wait while he sees the till being emptied before he gets his slice of the pie.  Yes, he's guaranteed $13MM for 1yr but what happens if he gets hurt, don't ya think young players consider that too ?

Edited by Cutler06