Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

8 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I'd counter with "how does Justin feel" making him wait while he sees the till being emptied before he gets his slice of the pie. 

As long as the slice is big enough...

Keep in mind an extension usually saves 2021 cap space - so Paton doesn't have to worry about leaving enough behind this year.   Simmons already counts 13M+ to the cap.

Also, look at who got the tag:

CAR - Taylor Moton, talks already underway to get an extension, expected

DAL - Dak, extended

NYJ - Marcus Maye, talks again underway

NYG - Leonard William, talks again underway

WFT - Brandon Scherff, who knows with that team lol

TAM - Chris Godwin, who GM Licht already said they'll try to get something done later

JAX - Cam Robinson (the real shocker)

CHI - Allen Robinson (who has already said he's not signing yet, he's the one guy really upset to get tagged, who can blame him with that QB/O).

If you look at all the guys - with except of Cam Robinson & ARob, the other guys are all in talks.  But all but Dak are still not extended, either.   This is normal, teams often wait until after the FA window closes - because they don't have to worry about creating more money with an extension, it actually usually saves them a fair amount (so it's good to do before the draft).   Looking at how close the #'s for the top S and the tag, I really would be shocked to see anything but a deal....just a matter of time.

Edited by Broncofan

Word is you all have reached an agreement with Ronald Darby, who played with us last year in Washington. I’m seeing 3/$30M with $19.5M fully guaranteed. 

That’s a sizeable guarantee, but about what I had him pegged for overall. He had a pretty good season for us last year on a prove-it deal, and most importantly, he stayed healthy for the first time. If he can continue that run of good health, I’d think it’ll be a good addition for you all. 

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Word is you all have reached an agreement with Ronald Darby, who played with us last year in Washington. I’m seeing 3/$30M with $19.5M fully guaranteed. 

That’s a sizeable guarantee, but about what I had him pegged for overall. He had a pretty good season for us last year on a prove-it deal, and most importantly, he stayed healthy for the first time. If he can continue that run of good health, I’d think it’ll be a good addition for you all. 

Correct on both counts...

19 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I'd counter with "how does Justin feel" making him wait while he sees the till being emptied before he gets his slice of the pie.  Yes, he's guaranteed $13MM for 1yr but what happens if he gets hurt, don't ya think young players consider that too ?

That's a ridiculous amount of money...I can't relate to hurt feelings over these contracts.

35 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Listening to the Fan today, James Merilliat has a good theory that we won't be spending a lot in free agency this year. In this theory, it kind of a prove-it year for both Fangio and Lock. Both have shown some splashes, but have shown some diminished returns as well. If both/either do well, time to bring them back, if not time to clean house but Paton will have some rolled over money to spend on his new regime or build upon the success moving forward. Seems like a win-win for Paton, covering his bases but seems a bit unfair to both Vic and the Broncos fans IMO. Feels like if we go on another 5-12-ish season, we'd have a lot of free agent cash for next years crop, another high draft choice to start the new regime, along with a built-up roster from this year's draft but other than Paton, who wants to wait ??

He makes good points, heard him say a lot this as well before. I agree with a lot of it. 

Building on that, it’s another reason why I definitely don’t see Paton using an early round pick on a QB - he’s not going to use a premium pick on a QB when it’s a prove it year for the coaching staff as, if the coaching staff fails the test, then the new staff is saddled with a young QB on whom Paton spent premium capital and thus the new staff would be forced to make it work with that QB, a prospect a lot of HC/OC candidates might not find appealing.

The only thing I see us doing at QB is signing a veteran journeyman type. The Fan, which is Broncos QB talk 98% of the time, and the majority of the fans, are going to go apoplectic over it but it’s the right move if you’re playing the long game as I think Paton is.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we get the WFT Ronald Darby, he is for sure worth 10M AV. Somehow still only 27 as well. I thought he was more of a man fit but Vic knows what he is doing on that side of the ball. I suspect we use him close to the LOS rather than in a deeper zone. 

I don’t think Paton is going to pigeon hole himself into signing/drafting guys solely based on the potential fit for Vic’s scheme as the odds are against Vic being here this time next year. Vic is a veteran coach and, if I’m Paton, I’m telling him to draw on his 40 years of coaching experience to make it work with the players I sign/draft. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He makes good points, heard him say a lot this as well before. I agree with a lot of it. 

Building on that, it’s another reason why I definitely don’t see Paton using an early round pick on a QB - he’s not going to use a premium pick on a QB when it’s a prove it year for the coaching staff as, if the coaching staff fails the test, then the new staff is saddled with a young QB on whom Paton spent premium capital and thus the new staff would be forced to make it work with that QB, a prospect a lot of HC/OC candidates might not find appealing.

The only thing I see us doing at QB is signing a veteran journeyman type. The Fan, which is Broncos QB talk 98% of the time, and the majority of the fans, are going to go apoplectic over it but it’s the right move if you’re playing the long game as I think Paton is.  

Those are strong arguments. Makes lots of sense.

Very interesting signing. The injury history is really scary. Talent has never been the issue. And he gives you an elite athlete who can really feast in the “click and close” department. I’ll be honest, he’s not one I thought would be in the mix at all. But if Fangio and Donatell signed off, they must think he could be a star in this scheme.

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Very interesting signing. The injury history is really scary. Talent has never been the issue. And he gives you an elite athlete who can really feast in the “click and close” department. I’ll be honest, he’s not one I thought would be in the mix at all. But if Fangio and Donatell signed off, they must think he could be a star in this scheme.

Well at least our other starting CB is durable