Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

No way the Lions trade him to the Rams. Rams don't have capspace or a 1st rd pick. Lions don't want Goff. 

My guess is that this is info leak to push things forward in other directions if you know what i mean. But I know how Jrry feels about Goff v stafford, so I couldn't resist. 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Doesn't even make sense to leak. It's not viable. 

Its perfectly viable. Goff saves almost 13 million if traded. Stafford can easily be restructured / extended to fit within a 12 million cap hit for the first year. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Based on what? Nobody said that you had to take Goff back. 

Rams don't have the cap space to absorb Stafford's contract (even if they re-negotiate his contract, they have to absorb it first), so Lions would have to take back salary to make it work. Lions don't want to do that ($2.9 million cap space themselves right now) unless it includes either Donald or Ramsey, which the Rams will not do. Rams don't have a 1st rd pick this year to offer. Which the Lions reportedly have offered from at least a couple other teams. So what exactly does the Lions get out of this if not a top pick, cap space from moving Stafford, or one of the Rams top players? 

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Rams don't have the cap space to absorb Stafford's contract (even if they re-negotiate his contract, they have to absorb it first), so Lions would have to take back salary to make it work. Lions don't want to do that ($2.9 million cap space themselves right now) unless it includes either Donald or Ramsey, which the Rams will not do. Rams don't have a 1st rd pick this year to offer. Which the Lions reportedly have offered from at least a couple other teams. So what exactly does the Lions get out of this if not a top pick, cap space from moving Stafford, or one of the Rams top players? 

There would have to be a three-team deal of sorts for this to be possible. And frankly, I see very little upside in it for the Rams. I think this is all about trying to get the 49ers to up their offer.

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Rams don't have the cap space to absorb Stafford's contract (even if they re-negotiate his contract, they have to absorb it first),

You can do those both at the same time and they can also create space prior to the league year. Again, the financials on Stafford alone should not be  a major issue if it was something that they really wanted to do because of how much time they have. 

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Rams don't have a 1st rd pick this year to offer. Which the Lions reportedly have offered from at least a couple other teams

Source? Haven't seen this anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

100%. LIS, I think it's a leak for that purpose

Which just shows that the Lions are working the process and trying to get a better offer, just as they should be doing, not settling for whatever the Niners are comfortable giving them 6 weeks before they really need to make a deal

24 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Which just shows that the Lions are working the process and trying to get a better offer, just as they should be doing, not settling for whatever the Niners are comfortable giving them 6 weeks before they really need to make a deal

Though it may lend credence to the idea that the market is not as stout as I thought it was going to be for him. I'll be curious how it plays out.