Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't make me start posting Vincent Frank, people 😂

So they've reported on Detroit sports radio what Frank is saying - Holmes is motivated to do this NOW and the 9ers are offering two second round and two third round picks. I don't think it's impossible that the Lions may have to settle for this offer. I wouldn't love it, but 4 picks would help the Lions.

But what makes no sense would be for the Lions to do this now. They have the one veteran QB who is definitely for trade now, who has a great combo of talent, contract, age, etc., and in a year where QB demand is insane. And they have 6 weeks to trade him. Why would the Lions be motivated to do it now? What, is Stafford going to make waves?

If the Lions take that deal now, it's a terrible error.

Just now, Superduperman said:

So they've reported on Detroit sports radio what Frank is saying - Holmes is motivated to do this NOW and the 9ers are offering two second round and two third round picks. I don't think it's impossible that the Lions may have to settle for this offer. I wouldn't love it, but 4 picks would help the Lions.

It's a very interesting decision in terms of quantity / quality. Those 4 picks ostensibly add up to the #12 pick in terms of trade value. This years two picks are just shy of exactly half of the #12 value. In terms of the Rich Hill chart, the 2 seconds and 2 thirds would be valued slightly more. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's a very interesting decision in terms of quantity / quality. Those 4 picks ostensibly add up to the #12 pick in terms of trade value. This years two picks are just shy of exactly half of the #12 value. In terms of the Rich Hill chart, the 2 seconds and 2 thirds would be valued slightly more. 

Fair enough, and like I said, it would help the team. If, on March 1, they do this deal, then OK, we move forward. But why not wait to see what someone else could come up with? If they could get the Colts to offer a similar value package, but including #21, or someone else in the 20s, then that's a better offer.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

Fair enough, and like I said, it would help the team. If, on March 1, they do this deal, then OK, we move forward. But why not wait to see what someone else could come up with? If they could get the Colts to offer a similar value package, but including #21, or someone else in the 20s, then that's a better offer.

I honestly don't get the hurry for the Lions either. The only thing that I think that it *could* be would be the 49ers forcing their hands. With some contractual options on the table for the 49ers and Stafford, I could see how they may be holding their feet to the fire and saying we have to do this soon so that we can set up our finances asap (49ers aren't in bad cap shape, but aren't in great cap shape either) 

Just now, Forge said:

I honestly don't get the hurry for the Lions either. The only thing that I think that it *could* be would be the 49ers forcing their hands. With some contractual options on the table for the 49ers and Stafford, I could see how they may be holding their feet to the fire and saying we have to do this soon so that we can set up our finances asap (49ers aren't in bad cap shape, but aren't in great cap shape either) 

I'd tell the Niners to kick rocks if they're saying that. League year starts in six weeks, no one has anything binding to deal with before then.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

I'd tell the Niners to kick rocks if they're saying that. League year starts in six weeks, no one has anything binding to deal with before then.

I would as well, and that's probably not an accurate description of what is happening given that it really does seem to stem from the lions wanting to get this done quickly more than anything else. Just a weird play by the Lions all around if we are being honest. I don't get the hurry at all. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would as well, and that's probably not an accurate description of what is happening given that it really does seem to stem from the lions wanting to get this done quickly more than anything else. Just a weird play by the Lions all around if we are being honest. I don't get the hurry at all. 

I don't believe the hurry at all.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

But what makes no sense would be for the Lions to do this now. They have the one veteran QB who is definitely for trade now, who has a great combo of talent, contract, age, etc., and in a year where QB demand is insane. And they have 6 weeks to trade him. Why would the Lions be motivated to do it now? What, is Stafford going to make waves?

If the Lions take that deal now, it's a terrible error.

If the Lions take that the new GM is an idiot.

You take a top-20 (or 21 lol) pick over 2 2nds any day, especially when 1 of the 2nds could end up being in the 50's.     Same with a 2nd round pick you know the position now over 2 3rds.

There is no way IMO that IND wouldn't offer 1.21 and extra to match or beat that offer.   That honestly sounds like SF beat reporter wishful thinking.     If DET doesn't up with something that matches or beats IND's 1.21 plus a 3rd, it doesn't bode well for DET's future with the new GM.   And there's definitely no rush for DET if they can't get an offer to their liking.

I have no reason to believe the DET GM is BOB-lite, so I'm going to say I'll believe a trade for Stafford happens without a 2021 1st + change (or a top 12 pick alone) when I see it.

People seem to be under the impression that the Lions HAVE to trade Stafford. They don’t. He’s under contract (decent contract as well) for next two seasons and didn’t demand a trade nor is someone to hold out and cause a distraction. Both sides agreed that a trade would benefit both parties. However, if the trade doesn’t benefit both parties, there is no NEED to do so. We wouldn’t send Stafford to a bad situation for him, and the team will not be lowballed with picks. There is no rush here. A lot of wishful thinking on other teams side, but the Lions will make the best decision, when it happens and not force it. They don’t have to. 

• Like 1

This would be the most reliable source for the 9ers, point blank, but he's also fairly cagey with his reveals. I don't think that he's at the senior bowl, so obviously he's not hearing the chatter / rumor mill (which is always running rampant at the senior bowl), but his should come directly from sources iwth in the team. I don't know of any 49er fan that would doubt his reliability.