Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

53 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given that the Pats, 49ers, Broncos & Panthers are all looking for QB upgrades (CAR seemingly being a more long-term goal than short-term), that's not surprising.     I am quite confident CHI, IND & probably WFT have offered their 1st at 19, 20 & 21.   The Q is which one of the 8-12 tier are willing to offer their 2021 1st.   I don't believe for a second that SF is getting Stafford without giving up their 2021 1.12.    DET GM would be an idiot to take a 2022 1st, given the likelihood that spot is further back than an early teens position.

He’s definitely not going to CHI for only a 1st. If we pretend that it’s only between WFT and Indy then I think he goes to the latter since it’s out of conference and the difference in draft pick obviously isn’t that big. I think he’ll do better with the Colts as well.

Edited by Xenos

17 hours ago, Xenos said:

He’s definitely not going to CHI for only a 1st. If we pretend that it’s only between WFT and Indy then I think he goes to the latter since it’s out of conference and the difference in draft pick obviously isn’t that big. I think he’ll do better with the Colts as well.

Absolutely, Bears weren't going to get it done with just a 1st.  There's a premium with trading in-division.   I mean, Indy could have offered 1.21, Chicago could have offered 1.20 - and Detroid would take Indy's offer.    WFT apparenly made it moot, though.    The debate will be whether 2019 1.19 from WFT (plus more?) beats LAR's 2022 & 2023 1sts and this year's 3rd.  Personally, I lean to WFT's offer if they were indeed offering 1.19 and 3.19, especially since there would be no Goff contract coming back.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely, Bears weren't going to get it done with just a 1st.  There's a premium with trading in-division.   I mean, Indy could have offered 1.21, Chicago could have offered 1.20 - and Detroid would take Indy's offer.    WFT apparenly made it moot, though.    The debate will be whether 2019 1.19 from WFT (plus more?) beats LAR's 2022 & 2023 1sts and this year's 3rd.  Personally, I lean to WFT's offer if they were indeed offering 1.19 and 3.19, especially since there would be no Goff contract coming back.

Yeah, Detroit should have taken WFT deal. I don’t think getting future draft picks, even if they were 1st rounders, justified taking on Goff’s salary. An immediate 2021 pick to help your team is much better. Though honestly, the teams that were best for Stafford were probably the Niners and Colts. Maybe Denver as well but I wonder about Fangio’s offensive philosophy. As a defensive minded HC, is he stereotypically conservative on offense?

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Yeah, Detroit should have taken WFT deal. I don’t think getting future draft picks, even if they were 1st rounders, justified taking on Goff’s salary. An immediate 2021 pick to help your team is much better. Though honestly, the teams that were best for Stafford were probably the Niners and Colts. Maybe Denver as well but I wonder about Fangio’s offensive philosophy. As a defensive minded HC, is he stereotypically conservative on offense?

Let's not hijack the convo with a talk on Fangio's game management philosophy, or his tendencies.    Let's just say he's an unbelievable DC and his other HC qualities are lacking in-game.

The main reason DEN didn't offer 1.9 IMO is they weren't convinced Stafford would last at peak form for 4-5 years.  Because in reality our window to contention likely opens far more in 2022 than 2021 - but a top 10 QB would accelerate that IMO.   SF's reasoning will always fascinate me, they are clearly in win-now mode.   Wish we could all get the full scoop, but unlikely until some 30 for 30 piece comes out on the 2020-21 QB offseason carousel, after everyones' retired / out of the game.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Let's not hijack the convo with a talk on Fangio's game management philosophy, or his tendencies.    Let's just say he's an unbelievable DC and his other HC qualities are lacking in-game.

The main reason DEN didn't offer 1.9 IMO is they weren't convinced Stafford would last at peak form for 4-5 years.  Because in reality our window to contention likely opens far more in 2022 than 2021 - but a top 10 QB would accelerate that IMO.   SF's reasoning will always fascinate me, they are clearly in win-now mode.   Wish we could all get the full scoop, but unlikely until some 30 for 30 piece comes out after everyones' retired / out of the game.

Sorry I just brought up Fangio because  I remember rumors about Denver being interested as well. I think Stafford could have definitely done well in Shumur’s scheme.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Sorry I just brought up Fangio because  I remember rumors about Denver being interested as well. I think Stafford could have definitely done well in Shumur’s scheme.

It's OK, I love Fangio's work as a DC.     His work in-game and how the O runs....let's just say bringing it up is a great cheap way to find out if the Bronco fan you're talking to has a brain aneurysm.

32 minutes ago, Xenos said:

If you believe you can rehab Goff's value and then flip him for a profit next offseason, why wouldn't you?

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, at this point there really isn't any reason to believe that Goff won't be the starting QB for the Lions in 2021.

Also the money is only for the next two years. Build through the draft for the two years  than cut or trade him. Fill missing pieces with FA.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, at this point there really isn't any reason to believe that Goff won't be the starting QB for the Lions in 2021.

There's no reason to believe it but there's also no reason to think it isn't possible

As long as there's a team out there that would want Goff, who wouldn't take on his salary from the Rams but would take him if the Lions ate some of that, it could happen