Lions & Stafford part ways

beardown3231

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We are in the passenger seat of the QB carousel.

I feel more like the rear-facing car seat....  What a year to need a QB.  

Have the worst feeling we combine all our terrible options: "Nick is our started, and with a full offseason program we anticipate better things", plus we move up the draft at great expense, but do so for like, Mac Jones. 

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I feel more like the rear-facing car seat....  What a year to need a QB.  

Have the worst feeling we combine all our terrible options: "Nick is our started, and with a full offseason program we anticipate better things", plus we move up the draft at great expense, but do so for like, Mac Jones. 

Isn't this every year? :D

Even when this team has its pick of the litter...see 2017 draft they still can't get it right.

It's mostly going to come down to luck whether they get their QB this offseason

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

As much as I would love to see Stafford in navy and orange the Colts makes the most sense for him.  Hopefully Pace at least kicks the tires

Detroit isn't going to trade him inside of the division. If he was 38 or something maybe, but Stafford still has another 5-7 years left.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yes.  I've explained this approach numerous times on here. 

If a guy falls that Nagy likes (it's going to be his decision) then take him and role with a rookie QB/Foles.  If he doesn't fall then go OT and take a flier on a QB in later rounds and roll with a vet/Foles/rookie. 

If Nagy picks the wrong QB then we're picking top-10 next year and both Pace and Nagy are gone. Let the next regime decide what to do with Nagy's QB--either develop him as a backup or ship for a 2nd or 3rd round pick like Kiem did with Rosen. 

If they want to go about it that way (and I doubt they will) why on Earth wouldn't they trade Foles, and re-sign Trubisky? Mitch is far more mobile. 

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He has? News to me.

I mean, he's been discussed as a potential trade target for a few years now.  Fortunately/Unfortunately (depending on what perspective you're looking at), the Lions suck at using their resources correctly and seem to believe they're closer to contention then they really are.  They're finally seeming to realize they're not as close as they thought they were if they do indeed trade Stafford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If they want to go about it that way (and I doubt they will) why on Earth wouldn't they trade Foles, and re-sign Trubisky? Mitch is far more mobile. 

Nobody is trading for Foles....his stock is zilch. Hell, we may have to give up a draft pick just to trade him. And resigning Mitch is not only up to them. Why would he wanna stay? (Although he did sound like he was pleading his case). 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They're finally seeming to realize they're not as close as they thought they were if they do indeed trade Stafford.

I don't know why they'd even want to trade him. He's still pretty young. Some of the reports suggest he simply wants out. That may be what's going on. 

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Nobody is trading for Foles....his stock is zilch. Hell, we may have to give up a draft pick just to trade him. And resigning Mitch is not only up to them. Why would he wanna stay? (Although he did sound like he was pleading his case). 

I'm sure they could trade Foles. Just because he had some bad games for the Bears last season, that doesn't mean his stock is "zilch". His contract is pretty reasonable.

And who's gonna line up to sign Mitch? And give him a chance to start? Maybe the Lions or the Texans? Maybe

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know why they'd even want to trade him. He's still pretty young. Some of the reports suggest he simply wants out. That may be what's going on. 

Realistically speaking, do you think the Lions can build a contender in the next 2-3 years?  If the answer is no, then you're building around an aging QB.  Or you can move him for a FRP+, and build a strong future.

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm sure they could trade Foles. Just because he had some bad games for the Bears last season, that doesn't mean his stock is "zilch". His contract is pretty reasonable.

And who's gonna line up to sign Mitch? And give him a chance to start? Maybe the Lions or the Texans? Maybe

He's had bad games with two different teams in two consecutive seasons. His stock is zero. All he has done has proved that he was a flash in a pan in Philly with a lot of talent. 

The same teams who lined up to sign Jamies, Mariota, Haskins, Foles, Dalton, Flacco, Chase, RG3, and Fitzpatrick. Mitch just turned 26, he'll have no problem finding a home as a backup.  

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically speaking, do you think the Lions can build a contender in the next 2-3 years?  If the answer is no, then you're building around an aging QB.  Or you can move him for a FRP+, and build a strong future.

No, I don't. But the new regime sort of has to pretend they can, right? 😁 We'll see what happens. If Indy gives up their first rounder for him (which is sorta possible), then it gives the Lions all sorts of options. 

14 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The same teams who lined up to sign Jamies, Mariota, Haskins, Foles, Dalton, Flacco, Chase, RG3, and Fitzpatrick. Mitch just turned 26, he'll have no problem finding a home as a backup.  

As a backup, sure. The Bears might let him start again, though. Be the bridge guy or (heaven forbid) a one-season answer. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

No, I don't. But the new regime sort of has to pretend they can, right? 😁 We'll see what happens. If Indy gives up their first rounder for him (which is sorta possible), then it gives the Lions all sorts of options. 

As a backup, sure. The Bears might let him start again, though. Be the bridge guy or (heaven forbid) a one-season answer. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I won't give the Lions the benefit of the doubt especially since I believe their HC is a stroke, but they're building one hell of a FO

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You do realize that the Lions have never even been to the Super Bowl.  They haven't even won a championship since the year I was born. I expect them to have less success building a contender then the Bears. 

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Detroit isn't going to trade him inside of the division. If he was 38 or something maybe, but Stafford still has another 5-7 years left.

Yeah I know, but it doesn't hurt to make a phone call just to see.  It's just like asking a woman out of your league for a date lol.  You never really know until you ask

On 1/24/2021 at 1:47 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

He's had bad games with two different teams in two consecutive seasons. His stock is zero. All he has done has proved that he was a flash in a pan in Philly with a lot of talent. 

Foles SB run is a good example of what can happen when you have a really good O line in front of you.   You don't have to be a stud QB to have success and look good.  

Mahomes in SB will be interesting.   His entire O line is 2nd string at this point I understand.   That dude is superhuman.   He avoided so many sure sacks in that Buffalo game.  Buf fans were complaining they had no pressure.   They had lots.   He just kept side stepping the rush in first half.  https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e1973aee-0972-46ea-a44f-5045da5b787e#L4GLMFoSUB.copy

• Like 1