Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

I love Swerve and what he brought to our team two years ago. There’s no guarantee he is the athlete he was then or ready to play in the NFL. If they bring him back, I’ll trust their judgment but I think we need to find our “Swerve” from this decade. 

Tyler Ervin just turned 28, he's in his athletic prime years.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Wonder why he isn't on anyone's roster?  Something must be up with the guy.  If he's healthy and in shape I'd bring him in tomorrow.  Hell of a lot better returner than anything I have seen from any of the other guys.  Amari Rodgers has been and continues to be a huge disappointment.  The light needs to come on for that guy and fast.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Wonder why he isn't on anyone's roster?  Something must be up with the guy.  If he's healthy and in shape I'd bring him in tomorrow.  Hell of a lot better returner than anything I have seen from any of the other guys.  Amari Rodgers has been and continues to be a huge disappointment.  The light needs to come on for that guy and fast.

Is anyone else thinking Amari Rodgers is a massive bust, at least this year. 

So I absolutely hate when people say that they could do a professional athlete or coach or executive's job better than them. It's entirely laughable 99.9999% of the time.

But...

I totally believe if one of us got hired last Monday as ST coach and walked in saying, "Hey guys. I totally BSed my way into this job and have no idea what's going on. Let me know what we should be doing and I'll help however I can. Please don't embarrass/expose me." things couldn't have gone any worse.

• Like 3

So, I find the lack of urgency by our brass to address this issue a bit concerning.  I understand MLF doesn't want to deal with Special Teams questions on a night when they lowered the bar well below the basement, but by NOT coming out and acknowledging "yeah, Houston, we have a major problem", is equivalent to saying ST's are not on the same level of importance as the other two phases of the game.

BS man.

If we ever saw the same level of ineptitude in our offense or defense, heads would be rolling - or at least addressed in a manner consistent with the perceived importance of those two phases to our organization.  Get this sh!t fixed!

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He’s also been out of the League close to 2 years. If he’s the same guy, I’d be all for it. He singlehandedly saved our worst in the NFL return game and added some quick hit plays on offense. Became one of my fast favorites just because of how low we had been before. His game depends on quickness and acceleration, if he has those I’d love to see him back. 

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

So, I find the lack of urgency by our brass to address this issue a bit concerning.  I understand MLF doesn't want to deal with Special Teams questions on a night when they lowered the bar well below the basement, but by NOT coming out and acknowledging "yeah, Houston, we have a major problem", is equivalent to saying ST's are not on the same level of importance as the other two phases of the game.

BS man.

If we ever saw the same level of ineptitude in our offense or defense, heads would be rolling - or at least addressed in a manner consistent with the perceived importance of those two phases to our organization.  Get this sh!t fixed!

It's ridiculous.  I doubt firing coaches at this point in the season would be helpful, but LaFleur should be on the horn with an NFL level special teams consultant.  Hire some old proven pro to oversee this thing for a while and make some recommendations.  It's been one thing after another with Drayton.  He just might be in over his head.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's ridiculous.  I doubt firing coaches at this point in the season would be helpful, but LaFleur should be on the horn with an NFL level special teams consultant.  Hire some old proven pro to oversee this thing for a while and make some recommendations.  It's been one thing after another with Drayton.  He just might be in over his head.

Not sure who they can replace Drayton with at this point, and MLF has all but said he's standing pat, so we have who we have.  BUT, what Specials needs is a savvy specials veteran out there on the field.  Someone to motivate and lead these dudes - give them an identity that's anything other than, "yeah, we know we suck, but specials is my part-time job so who cares" attitude.

Seriously, get a leader of men out there on this unit to fire these dudes up, and to take some damn pride in their job.  Might be the only move they can make NOW, while they wait on MLF to make the coaching switch.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Not sure who they can replace Drayton with at this point, and MLF has all but said he's standing pat, so we have who we have.  BUT, what Specials needs is a savvy specials veteran out there on the field.  Someone to motivate and lead these dudes - give them an identity that's anything other than, "yeah, we know we suck, but specials is my part-time job so who cares" attitude.

Seriously, get a leader of men out there on this unit to fire these dudes up, and to take some damn pride in their job.  Might be the only move they can make NOW, while they wait on MLF to make the coaching switch.

I suppose MLF is saying all of this because at this point in the season unless they pluck someone from the college ranks there can't be a lot of better options out there at this point in the season.  Things that can be done yesterday?  Tell Crosby (or Bojorquez) to kick it thru the end zone on all kickoffs.  Have Corey B punt it towards the corners.  Tell every returner to fair catch every punt or let it go and take our chances.  We sure as hell don't want ST to bite us in the fanny come January.

Edited by Pugger

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Green Bay and Mikwaukee media need to pound the hell outta the Packers brass and demand they go out and hire a top STC even if they have to pay top dollar to do it.  We keep using this ridiculous cheapo duct tape bandaid approach and hiring incompetents to manage it.  Enough is enough, and everyone who enters the gates of Lambeau should be carrying big old signs demanding a new outsider STC.  I'm willing to bet the people up in the C-suite will realize they have to make major changes if both the media and fans start yelling loud enough about it.

4 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

The Green Bay and Mikwaukee media need to pound the hell outta the Packers brass and demand they go out and hire a top STC even if they have to pay top dollar to do it.  We keep using this ridiculous cheapo duct tape bandaid approach and hiring incompetents to manage it.  Enough is enough, and everyone who enters the gates of Lambeau should be carrying big old signs demanding a new outsider STC.  I'm willing to bet the people up in the C-suite will realize they have to make major changes if both the media and fans start yelling loud enough about it.

Now I'm not saying this is dumb but this is dumb. I highly doubt management is rubbing its hands together or twirling their mustaches and maniacally laughing over a couple hundred thousand they are saving by not hiring the guy they think is the best choice for the job because fans and media aren't paying close enough attention. (In before they cheaped out on the guy who went to NO instead of us. It's been refuted to he'll despite people ignoring it. He flat out said he wanted to stay in the south for his family.) 

They clearly ARE hiring the wrong people. It's 100% not due to being "cheap".