Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Good news for a lot of the forum, we can fully slate Goff now with no holding back without most Rams fans getting all up in us.

ay @tyler735 ? 

Bad news for you is that if Goff plays decent football in Detroit next year, you can't claim that it's only because his Daddy McVay is telling him what to do. 😉

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

2020;

Stafford - 64%, 4084, 26 TDs, 10 Ints, 96.3 rating

Goff - 67%, 3952, 20 TDs, 13 Int, 90 rating.

Tbf, closer than I thought, but Goff was clearly far more conservative yet threw more picks with a lower rating.

Yeah. People tend to magnify when Goff isn't performing that well. People were acting like he was Brock Osweiler this year, instead he was basically 2018 Matt Stafford. 

• Like 1

This isn’t surprising coming from Los Angeles.  

The most stupid management and coaching staff in the NFL.  

Tons of raw talent on the team, but they don’t know how to draft or trade their way out of a paper bag.  

They just gave up the next 3-5 years of their future for a QB who has never won a playoff game.  

They’ll learn someday I guess.   

stafford is a great qb, for the longest time the only other good qb in the nfc north.
His career would have been different with a decent franchise ala Rivers with the chargers. Hes not that old either, i think he will have some great years with the rams and put his career on a borderline HOF path.

Future/late draft picks are worth about a round less, and nothing to the rams apparently. 

Edited by ifeelasleep

7 hours ago, Forge said:

This is actually something I brought up in this thread. I think Goff becomes a very interesting trade target if he didn't have the future guarantees. I believe that they can convert his 2022 roster bonus to sb (so they would basically eat that money) and other teams would get interested

Why is a 22’ roster bonus guaranteed money? Can someone explain this? $43 was guaranteed, fine, but is there a clause that says it must be paid out as a signing bonus if player is not on the 22’ roster? I don’t understand how the definition of a 22’ roster bonus fits the same bill as a 21’ dead cap hit.

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

How many playoff games did his offense only score 6 points? Because until the second half of his career, the Steelers managed over 20 points in every playoff game he played in.

Probably none.  Lions and Stafford were bad that year and didn't deserve the playoffs.  That game was a culmination of a terrible season and the team coming undone at the end of the year. 

I'm sorry that Stafford hasn't had the luxury of being on an elite team that allowed him to go 9-21 with 0 TD/2 INT and 123 yards in a playoff game and still win the game against another elite team.  But his offense put up 20 points and they won so he must have played well! Maybe you feel that's fair to hod against Stafford, but I don't.  In the other two playoff games he played well enough to win.  

Edited by fortdetroit

14 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Why is a 22’ roster bonus guaranteed money? Can someone explain this? $43 was guaranteed, fine, but is there a clause that says it must be paid out as a signing bonus if player is not on the 22’ roster? I don’t understand how the definition of a 22’ roster bonus fits the same bill as a 21’ dead cap hit.

The terms of the contract guaranteed Goff that roster bonus if he was still on the Rams' roster at the start of the 2020 league year. 

• Matt Stafford average depth of target 2019-20: 10.7 yards, 2nd among 32 QBs with min. 500 attempts Jared Goff average depth of target 2019-20: 7.5 yards, 29th among 32 QBs with min. 500 attempts

• On 20-plus yard passes over the past two seasons (@PFF), Matt Stafford has a 93.0 PFF passing grade, and Jared Goff has a 77.6 passing grade. Stafford - 1,869 yards, 13 TD, 6 INT, 13.0 YPA, 98.1 rating Goff - 1,011 yards, 4 TD, 6 INT, 9.3 YPA, 55.0 rating

• Matt Stafford rank in passing DYAR the last five years: 9, 10, 20, 9, and 14. He was 4th in DVOA in 2019, though, but in only 300 passes. Now gets McVay's offense. Jared Goff in passing DYAR the last five years: 34, 6, 6, 15, 20. Taken a big step backwards the last two seasons.

• Numbers from 2017-2021: Matt Stafford: 57 big-time throws, 26 turnover worthy passes, 94.7 rating, 24 turnovers, 1081 pressures Jared Goff: 44 BTT, 45 TWP, 85.8 rating, 47 turnovers, 1049 pressures

Goff and Stafford have been basically the same player the last two seasons, Goff is just younger.  And Joe Lombardi might be as good as Sean McVay at coaching, remember that - we don't know for sure yet.

Edited by fortdetroit

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Getting Goff definitely lessens the value also future 1sts that likely are in the 20s

Eh, I mean would it really surprise people if the Rams either miss the playoffs or go one and done? They play in probably the toughest division in the league, plus we’ll be seeing playoffs teams picking in the teens now. 

I’m sure most people (including myself) would have them in rather than out in any given preseason playoff picture, but they’re not a team like the Chiefs where I’d be shocked to see them not make the postseason.

3 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:
  • Matt Stafford average depth of target 2019-20: 10.7 yards, 2nd among 32 QBs with min. 500 attempts Jared Goff average depth of target 2019-20: 7.5 yards, 29th among 32 QBs with min. 500 attempts

• On 20-plus yard passes over the past two seasons (@PFF), Matt Stafford has a 93.0 PFF passing grade, and Jared Goff has a 77.6 passing grade. Stafford - 1,869 yards, 13 TD, 6 INT, 13.0 YPA, 98.1 rating Goff - 1,011 yards, 4 TD, 6 INT, 9.3 YPA, 55.0 rating

• Matt Stafford rank in passing DYAR the last five years: 9, 10, 20, 9, and 14. He was 4th in DVOA in 2019, though, but in only 300 passes. Now gets McVay's offense. Jared Goff in passing DYAR the last five years: 34, 6, 6, 15, 20. Taken a big step backwards the last two seasons.

Goff and Stafford have been basically the same player the last two seasons, Goff is just younger.  And Joe Lombardi might be as good as Sean McVay at coaching, remember that - we don't know for sure yet.

I’m reading this post and thought you were making a case for Stafford clearly being the better player, how do you possibly read what you wrote and then equate them to be equals?

1 minute ago, fortdetroit said:

I hope everyone is ready for a 2020 Carson Wentz like season for Goff in Detroit, because it's happening.

Who’s he throwing to?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

So your argument is that the Rams were smart to spend all of those picks to acquire a QB who was worse in two of the last four years than the QB they traded away with all those picks by the metrics you are citing?

Basically, the Rams just traded a QB who hasn't even yet hit the age where pocket passers are in their prime for a QB who, by your own metrics, has been worse in two of the past four years. And even if we look SOLELY to last year, the Rams traded two firsts and a third to swap the #20 QB for the #14 QB. And the #20 QB could still actually have some upside because of his age. 

Yeah, thanks for demonstrating exactly why I hate this deal.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m reading this post and thought you were making a case for Stafford clearly being the better player, how do you possibly read what you wrote and then equate them to be equals?

He's being sarcastic.