Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

11 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"All washed up"? Not sure I see it.

"So many injuries", yet only missed a total of 8 games over the last 10 years... and all during the 2019 season. The guy is a lumberjack.

The fragility thing is something that sticks around because of his early career. It doesn't - and shouldn't - hold weight anymore. His toughness is underrated as is his talent.

IDK how long before he declines but today he is head and shoulders better than Goff. The team is built to win now, so the move makes sense. It'll be interesting to watch McVay's work with him, because he has never had a coach that would assist him in the way McVay does.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Yeah, kinda. If I was gonna draft a kid 1st overall I wouldn't want him having played thru an injury the whole year prior.

Stafford could give them like 1-2 years of solid play then kick the bucket. Just saying it's a lot to give up for an old player.

Well, sure, you don't want your QB having to play hurt all the time. You do want your QB staying on the field and making plays if he gives you the best chance to win.

QBs get hurt. Some miss time, forcing a lesser player onto the field. Stafford has gotten hurt. Despite those injuries, he has rarely left the field and still played at a relatively high level.

I don't see that being a negative.

Wait are there legit people here arguing that Stafford isn't much better than Goff?🤪 STL instantly became a SB favorite with this trade. I can understand not liking the trade bc you are giving up the draft picks but getting Matt Stafford is a HUGE HUGE win for that franchise. Rams fans you should be ecstatic. Goff is a pretty meh QB and ya he may still have potential but potential doesn't win games. Stafford will win games for you and not be 100% reliant on your defense to do so.  Sure sure Goff was your boy for a few years and like any breakup it's hard to let go....but let gooooooooo. Take off the Goff colored glasses for a second and see the forest for the trees.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, so I guess I didn't know if we were considering the TVC.

Future picks lose a round during negotiation. Once the trade is made, they are what they are. Right now, and assuming that the Rams win the Super Bowl (please) in 2021 and 2022, the Lions received:

32nd pick in the 2022 draft (590)

32nd pick in the 2023 draft (590)

3rd round pick (end of the round, 120ish)

That totals 1,300 in TVC value.

From Washington, the 19th pick (875) and their 3rd round pick (180) totals 1,055 in TVC value.

Sure, uncertainty plays a role, but current times are uncertain as well. I'm not sure I believe that a current mid-1st and 3rd are "better" than a current late-3rd and two future 1sts.

I don’t think it’s better overall I think the point was it’s better immediate value which in the NFL it’s pretty much a now or never league future assets are so questionable as to what they can or even will become. 

• Like 1

Just now, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think it’s better overall I think the point was it’s better immediate value which in the NFL it’s pretty much a now or never league future assets are so questionable as to what they can or even will become. 

Oh, yeah, absolutely. Sorry. No disagreement there.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

The Rams and McVay the pressure is on they have to win.

The pressure has been on and they have clearly been in win now mode for a while. I personally would feel a lot more comfortable going into a must win season with Stafford at QB than Goff. Stafford is going to absolutely ball with McVay and their weapons. 

Everyone was questioning Brees when he went to New Orleans as well. Matty Ice is going to ball so nice.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, so I guess I didn't know if we were considering the TVC.

Future picks lose a round during negotiation. Once the trade is made, they are what they are. Right now, and assuming that the Rams win the Super Bowl (please) in 2021 and 2022, the Lions received:

32nd pick in the 2022 draft (590)

32nd pick in the 2023 draft (590)

3rd round pick (end of the round, 120ish)

That totals 1,300 in TVC value.

From Washington, the 19th pick (875) and their 3rd round pick (180) totals 1,055 in TVC value.

Sure, uncertainty plays a role, but current times are uncertain as well. I'm not sure I believe that a current mid-1st and 3rd are "better" than a current late-3rd and two future 1sts.

It's just Washington rage tweeting. 

It's obviously a unique draft year so acquiring premium picks down the road may be the smart play.

• Like 1

Personally, I think it is a bad trade for the Rams.

Rams are giving up two 1st round picks, a former 1st round pick at QB and a 3rd round pick for a 33 year old QB who has never won a playoff game. At best they get 6 years out of him. They could’ve packaged those picks to move up in the draft and get a young QB on C1 and be set for a long time. Now they’ll be in cap hell with an old QB and no draft picks to fill in the roster. Just dumb. Lions win.

Last 4 healthy seasons.

Stafford averaged roughly 4100 yards, 25 TD, 10 INT and 95 QB rating
Goff averaged roughly 4300 yards, 25 TD, 12 INT and 94 QB rating

The horrible, awful, embarrassing season Roethlisberger just had with 33 TD and 10 INT would’ve been Matt Stafford’s career year.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The pressure has been on and they have clearly been in win now mode for a while. I personally would feel a lot more comfortable going into a must win season with Stafford at QB than Goff. Stafford is going to absolutely ball with McVay and their weapons. 

Everyone was questioning Brees when he went to New Orleans as well. Matty Ice is going to ball so nice.

Oh I have no doubt about Stafford playing better. But from someone who knows how being married to a aging vet can turn out with one hit and we’re talking about a man with Back issues trust me I’m just saying that’s a concern. Trust me we’ve given a number two pick to the Rams because RG didnt pan out. And we traded for a vet that lost a wheel not even moving just a freak injury this is football. Y’all play against 3 tough defenses. Y’all needed a higher level QB to feel like a run was possible I’m just saying there’s always a risk with trading future picks. DeSean Watson has 2 previous ACL’s trust me mortgaging your future for a top 5 QB sounds worth it. Factor in the NFL injury risk and the history or Watson and Stafford these are both huge gambles

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The horrible, awful, embarrassing season Roethlisberger just had with 33 TD and 10 INT would’ve been Matt Stafford’s career year.

I get your point, but it's a silly thing to say when you can just look at Staffords actual career year - 5,000-41-16. Granted it was 9 years ago.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Personally, I think it is a bad trade for the Rams.

Rams are giving up two 1st round picks, a former 1st round pick at QB and a 3rd round pick for a 33 year old QB who has never won a playoff game. At best they get 6 years out of him. They could’ve packaged those picks to move up in the draft and get a young QB on C1 and be set for a long time. Now they’ll be in cap hell with an old QB and no draft picks to fill in the roster. Just dumb. Lions win.

Last 4 healthy seasons.

How are supporting casts irrelevant in all of this? Based on your numbers: Stafford outperformed Goff with a worse supporting cast in every single way.

"Never won a playoff game". How can the Lions' organization be blasted for its incompetence and Stafford be blamed for not winning a playoff game? If the first is true, why is the second being held against him?

It's a team sport, people. In the ONE year where the Lions' had a good defense (2014, 2nd in the NFL) the Lions went 11-5. Good weapons on offense, average offensive line and a weak running game. 11-5. Stafford has never had a complete supporting cast, and he'll finally have one in LA.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Goff went 9-6 in 2020: Only sacked 23 times, #10 rushing game in the NFL, #1 defense in the NFL in yards allowed and points allowed. 

Stafford went 9-7 in 2017: Sacked 47 times, #32 rushing game in the NFL, #27 defense in the NFL in yards allowed and #21 defense in points allowed. 

Stats do not tell the whole story here my friend. Goff played with the offensive guru that is McVay with an excellent running game to lean on and a good defense to bail him out led by arguably the best player in the league in Aaron Donald. 

Stafford has been playing in Detroit with Matt Patricia, a terrible running game, and a bad defense.