Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

13 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, sure, you don't want your QB having to play hurt all the time. You do want your QB staying on the field and making plays if he gives you the best chance to win.

QBs get hurt. Some miss time, forcing a lesser player onto the field. Stafford has gotten hurt. Despite those injuries, he has rarely left the field and still played at a relatively high level.

I don't see that being a negative.

Fair enough. Not everyone is Tom Brady and doesn't age it's just a lot to give up. I remember Chiefs gave like two 2nd's for Alex Smith back in the day people said that was a lot. No, this is a lot.

so I actually LOVE this trade for the Lions, but still sort of like it for the Rams

Lions

• Two future 1sts plus a 3rd year is a pretty solid haul as far as draft capital. Those 1sts are probably fairly late in the order, but injuries happen and you never know. This is good for them
  • Jared Goff actually becomes a lower risk - high reward addition. Yes, he locks up a ton of cap space right now (28M for Goff + 19M for Stafford cap hit), but his cap hit is around $25-26M for the final 3 years, and after this season, cutting him becomes a very reasonable option if he doesn't pan out
  • They still have the early 1st this year to draft a QB if they want to

Rams

• Yes, they traded a lot of draft capital, but they are in win now mode, and this is a win now move
  • Stafford has 2 years at a reasonable 20M and 23M
  • $22M dead cap from Goff is a lot, but its a much better out that under previous circumstances
  • I don't know how they get under cap this season though.. they are $44M over and I don't even see that much in cuttable contracts. 

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Oh I have no doubt about Stafford playing better. But from someone who knows how being married to a aging vet can turn out with one hit and we’re talking about a man with Back issues trust me I’m just saying that’s a concern. 

I'm a Raiders fan, my avatar is just a joke to support my Rams boys in here because I currently live in Los Angeles. The Rams had a top 10 running game and the #1 defense in football last season. Goff was only sacked 23 times (4th least for any QB), they have a pair of promising young RB in Akers/Henderson, two very good WR in Woods/Kupp, and an excellent group of role playing pass catchers after that with Reynolds, Higbee, Everett, and Jefferson. 

Stafford doesn't have to come out and absolutely set the world on fire for the Rams to win a championship. They'll have the run game and defense to be a contending level team. His situation in Detroit was always pretty meh and he has been one of the few bright spots for that organization for a decade. 

Now you're putting him into an offense with a very good OL, a deep group of weapons, and McVay calling plays? He's going to ball. And that's not even mentioning the fact that he now has the #1 defense in football to lean on as well. 

Drew Brees was good but not great in San Diego and was coming off of a torn rotator cuff. People questioned their decision as well but once he got to an organization with a smart head coach that put talent around him that boy balled and got a championship. 

What a career so far for Goff.

• Rookie season looks completely awful and everyone says he's a bust
  • McVay comes and he looks like a franchise QB for two seasons, including a 13-3 finish and SB appearance
  • Gets a bit contract and his play declines rapidly once he doesn't have elite talent around him
  • Gets traded along with a pair of firsts for a QB who is six years older

I assume he's going to be the starter in Detroit next season. Can't wait to see how he does.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

• McVay comes and he looks like a franchise QB for two seasons, including a SB appearance
  • Gets a bit contract and his play declines rapidly once he doesn't have an elite running game

I assume he's going to be the starter in Detroit next season. Can't wait to see how he does.

Goff and Wentz both started their careers great and then have tapered off and are in weird spots now. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm a Raiders fan, my avatar is just a joke to support my Rams boys in here because I currently live in Los Angeles. The Rams had a top 10 running game and the #1 defense in football last season. Goff was only sacked 23 times (4th least for any QB), they have a pair of promising young RB in Akers/Henderson, two very good WR in Woods/Kupp, and an excellent group of role playing pass catchers after that with Reynolds, Higbee, Everett, and Jefferson. 

Stafford doesn't have to come out and absolutely set the world on fire for the Rams to win a championship. They'll have the run game and defense to be a contending level team. His situation in Detroit was always pretty meh and he has been one of the few bright spots for that organization for a decade. 

Now you're putting him into an offense with a very good OL, a deep group of weapons, and McVay calling plays? He's going to ball. And that's not even mentioning the fact that he now has the #1 defense in football to lean on as well. 

Drew Brees was good but not great in San Diego and was coming off of a torn rotator cuff. People questioned their decision as well but once he got to an organization with a smart head coach that put talent around him that boy balled and got a championship. 

I understand what your saying. But what if they get the 49ers injury bug this year? Then you give the Lions a top 10 pick next year? Then what?

Goff is garbage, but I'm surprised they had to add that many picks to ship that trash out. Even funnier is picking up a 33 year old QB for that pricetag. Goff will look like crap without McVay, and Stafford isn't going to take the Rams over the hump (although I do have more faith in his ability to put up more than 3 points when it matters).

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

• McVay comes and he looks like a franchise QB for two seasons, including a 13-3 finish and SB appearance
  • Gets a bit contract and his play declines rapidly once he doesn't have elite talent around him

Can Goff supporters at least admit now that the tiny hands were an issue?

It's the same thing with Watson. He can do whatever he wants in the regular season, when his max throw speed is like 50 MPH and we got Mahomes throwing 60 MPH darts and you got a windy game in the playoffs playing against the best defenses focusing on every single snap and just a little bit quicker to the ball, we win, Watson loses.

People need to start evaluating QB's in particular from the standpoint of looking at the playoffs as another jump in competition that your guy has to have the tools to deal with.  The fact that McVay or Snead ever thought Goff was worth the highest paid contract of all time is the real problem here. Also from a team chemistry and culture standpoint, you got all this dead money with Goff now, Ramsey and Donald are eating up like 50% of the cap, I just don't see how this motivates the 40th guy on the roster TBH. The team feels like it's about 5 guys and thats it. Someone said they're 44M over the cap. Thats insane.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I understand what your saying. But what if they get the 49ers injury bug this year? Then you give the Lions a top 10 pick next year? Then what?

Every year teams nosedive for various reasons.

I don't think anyone thought Houston would be surrendering a top 3 pick in the Tunsil trade.

1 minute ago, Kirill said:

Can Goff supporters at least admit now that the tiny hands were an issue?

It's the same thing with Watson. He can do whatever he wants in the regular season, when his max throw speed is like 50 MPH and we got Mahomes throwing 60 MPH darts and you got a windy game in the playoffs playing against the best defenses focusing on every single snap and just a little bit quicker to the ball, we win, Watson loses.

People need to start evaluating QB's in particular from the standpoint of looking at the playoffs as another jump in competition that your guy has to have the tools to deal with.  The fact that McVay or Snead ever thought Goff was worth the highest paid contract of all time is the real problem here. Also from a team chemistry and culture standpoint, you got all this dead money with Goff now, Ramsey and Donald are eating up like 50% of the cap, I just don't see how this motivates the 40th guy on the roster TBH. The team feels like it's about 5 guys and thats it.

Release velocity is very important!!! Throwing with touch is a art but being able to drive into the wind with velocity is something special.