2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

It was strange listening to McVay post practice yesterday and he was very noncomittal about Hekker and who was the punter going forward. I was kind of iffy before hearing that but his comments or lack of them during that make me think they're trying to trade him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Seriously??? Come on man. I was all excited for him to have a break out year; the man put in all of that work losing weight and here comes a setback.

Agreed. I’m hoping Since it said “a few weeks” that he will be OK to start in the season opener, but who knows. It figures it’s right after Donald hyped him up. 

14 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

It was strange listening to McVay post practice yesterday and he was very noncomittal about Hekker and who was the punter going forward. I was kind of iffy before hearing that but his comments or lack of them during that make me think they're trying to trade him.

My thoughts exactly. Mcvay is not a guy who beat around the bush when a guys job is safe. The fact that he was so noncommittal makes me believe the Hekker era is over. 

4 hours ago, Flounch said:

We don't have salary cap issue right now....why would they cut him ? 1 bad performance last year cannot erase the good punter he is....

If this year he's still bad, then cut him.....but right now keep him 1 more year

IMO it has to do with age and price. This new guy (don’t feel like looking up how to spell his name ) can really punt well so it becomes a question of How many years does he have left vs How many does Johnny have left.

20 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

My thoughts exactly. Mcvay is not a guy who beat around the bush when a guys job is safe. The fact that he was so noncommittal makes me believe the Hekker era is over. 

IMO it has to do with age and price. This new guy (don’t feel like looking up how to spell his name ) can really punt well so it becomes a question of How many years does he have left vs How many does Johnny have left.

Plus any cap savings from trading Hekker are in the next two years not this year. And it's always possible that Boro has just out performed him in camp add to that he can't practice right now on the covid list and anything is possible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Going to be a lot of tough cuts. If it's me I'm going 5 WRs and 8 OL. Too much talent as some positions to cut. 

Too much talent to cut ? hum... i'm very worried about the depht talent behind the starters.

Hope Donald can play every game this season because without him, this defense will be very tough to watch. 

Except the DB, the overall talent at DL and LB are very weak. Pass rusher production are not constant, Lawler was good in W1 then disapeared, Garett in w2 then disapeared....

Perkins should be cut, he's good with his leg but overall i don't see it... not enough talent. 

Tutu showed nothing...where is his playmaker skills ? If he wasn't a 2nd round pick, he would be cut already...

The Kowski guy, is like a poor man Kupp...

1 minute ago, Flounch said:

Too much talent to cut ? hum... i'm very worried about the depht talent behind the starters.

Hope Donald can play every game this season because without him, this defense will be very tough to watch. 

Except the DB, the overall talent at DL and LB are very weak. Pass rusher production are not constant, Lawler was good in W1 then disapeared, Garett in w2 then disapeared....

Perkins should be cut, he's good with his leg but overall i don't see it... not enough talent. 

Tutu showed nothing...where is his playmaker skills ? If he wasn't a 2nd round pick, he would be cut already...

The Kowski guy, is like a poor man Kupp...

I'm worried about depth at some areas. ILB, OL, and potentially corner as I'm not sold on Long and Rochell yet. Honestly I'm not sold on some starters at those positions either but that's a different conversation. 

I like our DL and EDGE depth. I'm not sure we have a great OLB opposite of Floyd but I think everyone else that will have a spot has good traits to develop. I disagree at DL. Obviously if Donald gets hurt that will be massive but Joseph Day, AShawn, Gaines, Hoecht, and Brown is a good rotation. 

Tutu has shown some playmaking, the problem is Bryce can't throw deep. He burned the defense twice against the Raiders and the ball was terribly underthrown. He had 2 drops yesterday you'd like him to make but he's consistently gotten separation against good corners. And he's likely in a developmental year anyway.

I could go either way on Perkins. I like his poise and athleticism but he's not a great passer right now. So I'm not sure I see a role for him in either the short or long term with our commitment to Stafford. Especially since the team clearly views Wolford as the much better guy.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Flounch said:

Hum...can't see a DL outside Donald who could be a starter for another team....

SJD is a starter on most teams. And the rest are all backups. So no, they’re not starting quality but I think they’re talented depth. Between Bobby Brown, Greg Gaines, Jonah Williams, Eric Banks, Earnest Brown, and Michael Hoecht, there are several talented backups. We’re likely going to end up cutting two of those guys too who are all good players in their own right IMO so I’m really not concerned about our depth there.