2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

48 minutes ago, Flounch said:

When we will be rank in the top 10-15 maybe i will say something positive...but how can you say something positive about this LB group when even the expert said that this group is very very bad ?

We have the 4th best superbowl odds, top 10 WR Duo, coming off a year of the #1 ranked defense.....

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT GUY?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We have the 4th best superbowl odds, top 10 WR Duo, coming off a year of the #1 ranked defense.....

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT GUY?

I don't care about being the 4th superbowl odds or 10 WR duo. Where was the defense against the packers last year in playoff ? Donald was hurt but we couldn't even stop the run, our LB were useless. 

When they run like that against our defense, they eat clock, they control the game, do you think being the 4th best superbowl odds is usefull ? I don't think so...

4 hours ago, Flounch said:

I don't care about being the 4th superbowl odds or 10 WR duo. Where was the defense against the packers last year in playoff ? Donald was hurt but we couldn't even stop the run, our LB were useless. 

When they run like that against our defense, they eat clock, they control the game, do you think being the 4th best superbowl odds is usefull ? I don't think so...

Superbowl odds are just odds. You talked about two things though. One about Donald being hurt and then two about losing to teh Packers at Green Bay. Well first off, its rare that Donald is hurt to the point where he isnt even effective. If you are banking on Donald being in that type of situation again then you are going to lose more than win. Donald is typically healthy and out there wrecking offenses than he is hurt and ineffective like he was in Green Bay. Then lets talk about Green Bay. If the Rams are going to have the type of season most think they will have, they wont even have to travel to Green Bay in the divisional round. You can say they might have to travel to Tampa Bay in the playoffs or San Fran in the playoffs depending on the seeding but we know the Rams already can beat the Bucs in Tampa Bay and the Rams have to play San Fran in the regular season in San Fran every year so thats nothing new. I think going to Green Bay in that type of weather was always going to be tough. I wouldnt read too much into it.

Then lets address the defense. The Rams defense we know wont be as good as it was last season. Even if they kept everyone including the DC Staley I dont think they wouldve been 1st overall. We've seen great defenses stay the same the next season and still drop. The Rams defense will still be good. I dont know if you are thinking the Rams will go from 1st overall to like in the 20s. If you do think that then you are delusional. The Rams defense will still be at worst top 12. The offense is what is key. Thats why McVay made sure he loaded up on getting the QB in Stafford and speedy receivers in DJax and Tutu. He wants this offense to be back in the top 5. If the Rams have a top 5 offense to go along with a top 12 defense the Rams will be in strong position to come out of the NFC and host the Superbowl this season in Sofi. Thats why they have the 4th best Superbowl odds. Many believe that they will but apparently as usual you dont but thats not a surprise lol. 

6 hours ago, Flounch said:

Just curious as to how you think the Rams will do this season?

Edited by stl4life07

Willing to be that part of the reason the odds shifted in our favor on Julio was Vegas trying to improve the house's take by preying on gullible fans from two of the larger markets (particularly for sports fans who bet on their own teams).  Kind of a between 2- and 3-D chess way of leaving a trail of breadcrumbs that lead toward a pit of suffering and loss.

• Like 1

I don’t see why this defense can’t be a top 5 unit this season. The guys we’ve lost were replaceable, and we’re getting guys back from injuries who were predicted to either start right out of the gate ( Travin Howard ) or receive a significant amount of reps ( Taylor Rapp ) 

Staley did a good job last season, but because of his inexperience, McVay had to be more involved in the defense than he would’ve liked, which is why I believe he brought Raheem Morris; he can now turn his attention to the offense, which should be far better than last year. My only concern is that o-line.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Willing to be that part of the reason the odds shifted in our favor on Julio was Vegas trying to improve the house's take by preying on gullible fans from two of the larger markets (particularly for sports fans who bet on their own teams).  Kind of a between 2- and 3-D chess way of leaving a trail of breadcrumbs that lead toward a pit of suffering and loss.

Shhhh don’t let the secret out that Vegas is trying to make money 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I don’t see why this defense can’t be a top 5 unit this season. The guys we’ve lost were replaceable, and we’re getting guys back from injuries who were predicted to either start right out of the gate ( Travin Howard ) or receive a significant amount of reps ( Taylor Rapp ) 

Staley did a good job last season, but because of his inexperience, McVay had to be more involved in the defense than he would’ve liked, which is why I believe he brought Raheem Morris; he can now turn his attention to the offense, which should be far better than last year. My only concern is that o-line.

We totally can, but there's alot of uncertainty. And I think JJIII is going to be tough to replace as the defensive play caller.

Who is our slot CB and can he be as good a Troy Hill? Going to be tough.

Who will be our rotational DE's with the hand in the dirt and will they as good as Fox? 

I see us in the 7-12 range defensively because of AD and Ramsey, but if we can build large leads to force opposing offenses to be one dimensional, we could lead the league in turnovers. Raheem Morris is getting glowing reviews in camp from a personality standpoint, but I doubt he has the same level of talent as Staley when it comes to mid game adjustments. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We totally can, but there's alot of uncertainty. And I think JJIII is going to be tough to replace as the defensive play caller.

Who is our slot CB and can he be as good a Troy Hill? Going to be tough.

Who will be our rotational DE's with the hand in the dirt and will they as good as Fox? 

I see us in the 7-12 range defensively because of AD and Ramsey, but if we can build large leads to force opposing offenses to be one dimensional, we could lead the league in turnovers. Raheem Morris is getting glowing reviews in camp from a personality standpoint, but I doubt he has the same level of talent as Staley when it comes to mid game adjustments. 

Staley did a great job with half time adjustments, but he had a lot of help from McVay, more than an experienced DC would need from his HC. 

I’ll miss JJIII, but we’ve been preparing for his departure for a while now, and I see more potential in Fuller than JJ. 

Same for Troy Hill, he had a career year and  exceeded the expectations of a lot of Rams fans ,including myself, but unfortunately they weren’t very high to begin with. We’ve got Long and recently drafted Rochelle, both have higher ceilings than Hill. 

Morgan Fox??? He’s a little trickier, because he offered pass rush, but when AD went down, our edge rushers couldn’t do squat, Fox included. I’ll have to admit, our pass rushing situation kinda worries me, but it worried me before the 2020 season started and we had the best defense in football despite the short comings. 

Edited by NYRamsFan88

32 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Staley did a great job with half time adjustments, but he had a lot of help from McVay, more than an experienced DC would need from his HC. 

I’ll miss JJIII, but we’ve been preparing for his departure for a while now, and I see more potential in Fuller than JJ. 

Same for Troy Hill, he had a career year and  exceeded the expectations of a lot of Rams fans ,including myself, but unfortunately they weren’t very high to begin with. We’ve got Long and recently drafted Rochelle, both have higher ceilings than Hill. 

Morgan Fox??? He’s a little trickier, because he offered pass rush, but when AD went down, our edge rushers couldn’t do squat, Fox included. I’ll have to admit, our pass rushing situation kinda worries me, but it worried me before the 2020 season started and we had the best defense in football despite the short comings. 

I think you are being too dismissive of Staley. He took over a group that had 3 years with a HOF coordinator and turned the defense into the league's best. That was after losing a lot of key guys in the 2019 offseason. I think the defense could be top 5 because they have Donald and Ramsey and that right there is as good of a start as you can ask. But I think there is a much better shot the defense is average than elite. Team defenses tend to fluctuate year to year and having both player and personnel turnover doesn't help. 

The good thing, is I expect the offense to pick up the pace when the defense inevitably falls off a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I think you are being too dismissive of Staley. He took over a group that had 3 years with a HOF coordinator and turned the defense into the league's best. That was after losing a lot of key guys in the 2019 offseason. I think the defense could be top 5 because they have Donald and Ramsey and that right there is as good of a start as you can ask. But I think there is a much better shot the defense is average than elite. Team defenses tend to fluctuate year to year and having both player and personnel turnover doesn't help. 

The good thing, is I expect the offense to pick up the pace when the defense inevitably falls off a bit. 

I wouldn’t call it being dismissive, I acknowledge what he’s done for the team, he did what every DC would like to achieve with their team, and that’s to have the best defense in football, but with every rookie DC, he had his negatives as well, and I know McVay had to oversee the defense more than he’s used to. Personally I would’ve liked for Staley to stay for another two seasons,it would’ve been interesting to watch him develop, but who in there right mind would turn down a HC job. I have enormous respect for Wade Phillips, but it was obvious when he got here that he was too stubborn and over the hill to make us a top defensive unit.

19 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I wouldn’t call it being dismissive, I acknowledge what he’s done for the team, he did what every DC would like to achieve with their team, and that’s to have the best defense in football, but with every rookie DC, he had his negatives as well, and I know McVay had to oversee the defense more than he’s used to. Personally I would’ve liked for Staley to stay for another two seasons,it would’ve been interesting to watch him develop, but who in there right mind would turn down a HC job. I have enormous respect for Wade Phillips, but it was obvious when he got here that he was too stubborn and over the hill to make us a top defensive unit.

There were no negatives with Staley. He was the coordinator of the best defense in the league that had been between good and average the previous 3 years and had lost talent at several key spots. Unless we want to say there are negatives in Donald's game as well which is just being nitpicky for the purpose of being nitpicky. There was no reason last year's team on paper should have performed as well. The defense certainly didn't have the most talent in the league. 

I am also not buying McVay's involvement as a reason for the defense's success. If McVay wanted to better the team, he could have spent less time with the defense and more time with the special teams. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Superbowl odds are just odds. You talked about two things though. One about Donald being hurt and then two about losing to teh Packers at Green Bay. Well first off, its rare that Donald is hurt to the point where he isnt even effective. If you are banking on Donald being in that type of situation again then you are going to lose more than win. Donald is typically healthy and out there wrecking offenses than he is hurt and ineffective like he was in Green Bay. Then lets talk about Green Bay. If the Rams are going to have the type of season most think they will have, they wont even have to travel to Green Bay in the divisional round. You can say they might have to travel to Tampa Bay in the playoffs or San Fran in the playoffs depending on the seeding but we know the Rams already can beat the Bucs in Tampa Bay and the Rams have to play San Fran in the regular season in San Fran every year so thats nothing new. I think going to Green Bay in that type of weather was always going to be tough. I wouldnt read too much into it.

Then lets address the defense. The Rams defense we know wont be as good as it was last season. Even if they kept everyone including the DC Staley I dont think they wouldve been 1st overall. We've seen great defenses stay the same the next season and still drop. The Rams defense will still be good. I dont know if you are thinking the Rams will go from 1st overall to like in the 20s. If you do think that then you are delusional. The Rams defense will still be at worst top 12. The offense is what is key. Thats why McVay made sure he loaded up on getting the QB in Stafford and speedy receivers in DJax and Tutu. He wants this offense to be back in the top 5. If the Rams have a top 5 offense to go along with a top 12 defense the Rams will be in strong position to come out of the NFC and host the Superbowl this season in Sofi. Thats why they have the 4th best Superbowl odds. Many believe that they will but apparently as usual you dont but thats not a surprise lol. 

Rams defense is like the Oline. If Donald is hurt or Ramsey, there's no depht and no quality player to compensate their loss. I expect the defense to regress and i don't think we will be a top 10 defense this year, maybe around 15. 

And if our Oline is hurt, i don't think we will be a top 5 offense neither...

So let's cross finger we won't have big injury this year...

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

There were no negatives with Staley. He was the coordinator of the best defense in the league that had been between good and average the previous 3 years and had lost talent at several key spots. Unless we want to say there are negatives in Donald's game as well which is just being nitpicky for the purpose of being nitpicky. There was no reason last year's team on paper should have performed as well. The defense certainly didn't have the most talent in the league. 

I am also not buying McVay's involvement as a reason for the defense's success. If McVay wanted to better the team, he could have spent less time with the defense and more time with the special teams. 

So you think Staley, a man who’s never coordinated a professional football team, single handedly turned this defense into a top unit all by himself, with no guidance or involvement from McVay, or any of the other defensive coaches in the building? I find that extremely hard to believe. 

Staley definitely had some negatives, every coach does; but he was able to do what Phillips wasn’t able to, and that was make adjustments. 

Edited by NYRamsFan88

35 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

So you think Staley, a man who’s never coordinated a professional football team, single handedly turned this defense into a top unit all by himself, with no guidance or involvement from McVay, or any of the other defensive coaches in the building? I find that extremely hard to believe. 

Staley definitely had some negatives, every coach does; but he was able to do what Phillips wasn’t able to, and that was make adjustments. 

That's not what he said. Coaching is collaborative. And yes, I think Staley was the person by far most responsible for our defensive turnaround. 

• Like 4