2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

People talking about trading Kupp or Woods to get Julio need to look at the cap consequences. 

I don’t think anyone is really thinking it’ll happen. Definitely fun to think about though lol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

And by that doing that ish, we only keep digging ourselves into a deeper hole. That, of course, forced us to RESTRUCTURE both Kupp and Woods this offseason. Because we did that, even if we trade either after June 1st (which just pushes the buttload of dead money into 2022), we barely save any money.

Julio, conversely, costs over $15 million to acquire. Could we hypothetically create the cap space needed to make it work? Yes. But it would require more moves that could hamstring us long term. I guess it would fit with the continued focus on making moves to win this year without much care for the long-term ramifications.

Not saying we should. 
not saying we are. Just saying that it’s BS that people keep saying that we can’t. 

5 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I don’t think anyone is really thinking it’ll happen. Definitely fun to think about though lol 

It’ll never happen! 
but man could it be fun lolz I wanted Julio so bad when he was a rookie. Plus he has injury concerns so it’s best we stay away! But lawd. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Not saying we should. 
not saying we are. Just saying that it’s BS that people keep saying that we can’t. 

It ain't about can't. It's about whether we should. And the answer is no.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Ramster said:

It’ll never happen! 
but man could it be fun lolz I wanted Julio so bad when he was a rookie. Plus he has injury concerns so it’s best we stay away! But lawd. 

I think that’s also why it’s so fun to think about for me lol Snead destroyed the dreams of many Rams fans by trading up for him 😂 left us wanting Julio. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Not saying we should. 

Does can't ever get said? Shouldn't gets said a lot, doing it is stupid gets said a lot. Changes and hurts the team overall gets said a lot. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 5:38 AM, FrantikRam said:

Actually I think Kupp and a 2nd would be more than most teams would offer.

For example, if the Colts offered their first - would we trade Kupp and our 2nd for their first? Hell no. Or at least I wouldn't.

The Falcons should jump at that deal too - while Kupp doesn't always stay healthy, Julio is on another level the last few years, needing to be rotated in and out constantly. Kupp does different things than Ridley, so that complement would be great for the next 3-4 years. The additional 2nd would give them more ammo and flexibility in the draft next year.

For the Rams, we would likely have Julio and Woods on the outside with VJ in the slot.

I love Kupp so even I probably wouldn't do this - but it might be better for both teams in the long run.

There seems like a good chance that we move on from Woods or Kupp in the next two years anyway, and Julio, if he can stay healthy, makes our offense much better for this year.

Thing is, if the Falcons are unloading Julio, they're doing it to axe the salary as much as anything, so they're not necessarily going to be looking to take on a good-sized salary in return.  Next to the Saints, and contrary to the belief of people who think it's us, Atlanta has probably the worst cap-situation in the immediate future in the league.  And, since they've - rightly or wrongly, they've made their decision by not opting to draft a successor to Ryan thus far - tethered themselves to Matt Ryan for the foreseeable future, they've also tethered themselves to some pretty gargantuan cap-hits in his column in the ledger for the next, at least, 2 seasons.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:56 PM, MDY10 said:

👆 yeah it's just in good fun. Julio isn't happening because of the restructures we just did on Kupp and Woods, but I'm sure at the time of restructuring, they didn't know Julio would be available. Have to assume the Falcons at 4 were going to take Ryan's replacement and that would of made Julio's 2022 figure easier to swallow if you release Ryan.

But here we are. He will likely be a Patriot or Titan from what we're reading. Always fun to day dream though.

On 5/22/2021 at 7:33 PM, jrry32 said:

And by that doing that ish, we only keep digging ourselves into a deeper hole. That, of course, forced us to RESTRUCTURE both Kupp and Woods this offseason. Because we did that, even if we trade either after June 1st (which just pushes the buttload of dead money into 2022), we barely save any money.

Julio, conversely, costs over $15 million to acquire. Could we hypothetically create the cap space needed to make it work? Yes. But it would require more moves that could hamstring us long term. I guess it would fit with the continued focus on making moves to win this year without much care for the long-term ramifications.

Serious question, can you restructure a restructured deal?

tom hardy inception GIF

Kicking the can down the road becomes an issue when you run out of road. Presumably, we're going to bottom out and run out of options in like 3-4 years. Then we'll have one awful season and jump back into a top 5 pick (when we have them again) and grab our franchise QB. The question to pose is, does it seem worth it if we win a ring between now and then? I say yes, but obviously everyone wants the Patriots dynasty approach lol unfortunately, those aren't realistic expectations for any fanbase to have.

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Ramsey recruiting Julio lol

He does have that connection with Raheem Morris and remember when Snead was in the Falcons front office they traded up for Julio. Now I know receiver isn’t a need for the Rams but Julio is arguably the best receiver in the NFL. The Rams haven’t had a receiver the caliber of Julio since Torrey Holt back in the day. 

55 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Ramsey recruiting Julio lol

It’s still just fun to talk about lol but this makes it a tad bit more fun 😂 there’s no way this FO hasn’t at least talked about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Serious question, can you restructure a restructured deal?

tom hardy inception GIF

Kicking the can down the road becomes an issue when you run out of road. Presumably, we're going to bottom out and run out of options in like 3-4 years. Then we'll have one awful season and jump back into a top 5 pick (when we have them again) and grab our franchise QB. The question to pose is, does it seem worth it if we win a ring between now and then? I say yes, but obviously everyone wants the Patriots dynasty approach lol unfortunately, those aren't realistic expectations for any fanbase to have.

Last I checked, there were time limitations on your ability to restructure an already-restructured deal.

Honestly I might be in the minority here...but I don't want Julio. I think what we have with Woods and Kupp is far better. And if you throw a combo of Jefferson/Jackson/Atwell in there...I Think stafford will be able to do some Crazy things with this group. 

Woods and Kupp know this offense in and out and that will help Stafford catch on quicker, if you throw a new WR in the mix with a new QB we have a bigger learning curve.

• Like 1

No offense to Woods and Kupp but they are nowhere near the level of Julio and that's why i wanted to draft a guy like Terrance Marshall who's a big body instead of Tutu the midget.

If we have to ruin our cap, i would prefer to ruin it with an OL.