Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

15 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

No doubt the Bucs scoring early and often affected the Chiefs offensive strategy. Forced them to get away from the run and let Tampa's D tee off against the pass. Complimentary football at its best. 

The Chiefs strategy was to pass. That's what they mostly did early on when tied or down by one score. Most of their runs were scrambles by Mahomes, not designed runs.

Edited by childofpudding
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, childofpudding said:

The Chiefs strategy was to pass. That's what they mostly did early on when tied or down by one score. Most of their runs were scrambles by Mahomes, not designed runs.

And I don't think they can be blamed much for that portion of the gameplan. We were a bad run blocking OL when we had Fisher, Schwartz, AND LDT. Let alone without any of them. And Tampa was the league's best run defense. We may have won that matchup temporarily, if they just weren't defending the run, but we would never have had consistent success in the running game against them. Even healthy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And I don't think they can be blamed much for that portion of the gameplan. We were a bad run blocking OL when we had Fisher, Schwartz, AND LDT. Let alone without any of them. And Tampa was the league's best run defense. We may have won that matchup temporarily, if they just weren't defending the run, but we would never have had consistent success in the running game against them. Even healthy.

Funny how people wanna look in hindsight and criticise the chiefs for focusing and utilising their strength as opposed to their weakness lol. 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:44 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Against that OL what I am saying is probably any NFC playoff team could have pressured consistently with 4.

Sure they could have but do those other teams have rangy and fast LBers who could get to the flats and run with Kelce? Don’t think so. Another underrated part of what Bucs were able to do.

21 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Sure they could have but do those other teams have rangy and fast LBers who could get to the flats and run with Kelce? Don’t think so. Another underrated part of what Bucs were able to do.

Didn't matter. Mahomes was just turning and running all night long. You could've put a safety on Kelce and achieved the same thing. The front 4 pressure was the entire reason why we saw what we did.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Didn't matter. Mahomes was just turning and running all night long. You could've put a safety on Kelce and achieved the same thing. The front 4 pressure was the entire reason why we saw what we did.

Yeah but the issue is that anything the chiefs did to try counteract the pressure they were getting didn’t work. The quick throws, the screens, the run. The Chiefs weren’t trying to go deep all game long. The Bucs just shut down everything they tried to do particularly when field shrunk. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I agree that starting off pass-heavy can't be blamed. I think they should have adjusted more quickly and gone to draw plays that got them good chunks of yards early in the 2nd half. If they're dropping 7 every time you have to at least try to take advantage of those light boxes. The Chiefs have had some success running against the Bucs this season, despite the Bucs' good run defense.

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

I agree that starting off pass-heavy can't be blamed. I think they should have adjusted more quickly and gone to draw plays that got them good chunks of yards early in the 2nd half. If they're dropping 7 every time you have to at least try to take advantage of those light boxes. The Chiefs have had some success running against the Bucs this season, despite the Bucs' good run defense.

I assume your talking about the regular season game? The Bucs didn't have Vita Vea up front for that game either.

Even without him, the Chiefs only managed 87 yards.  Outside of Mahomes' 17 yard designed run the Chiefs run game could never get anything going mainly due to holding penalties and CEH going out with an injury IIRC. Then they had 18ish yards in the last couple minutes (12 of which were not designed runs) trying to run clock.    

11 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I assume your talking about the regular season game? The Bucs didn't have Vita Vea up front for that game either.

Even without him, the Chiefs only managed 87 yards.  Outside of Mahomes' 17 yard designed run the Chiefs run game could never get anything going mainly due to holding penalties and CEH going out with an injury IIRC. Then they had 18ish yards in the last couple minutes (12 of which were not designed runs) trying to run clock.    

Jones had 7ypc on 9 carries in first game. Same for CEH in SB.

14 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Jones had 7ypc on 9 carries in first game. Same for CEH in SB.

??? Jones doesn't play for the Chiefs though. 

The Chiefs ran for 87 yards against the Bucs without Vita and the run game was still not even as efficient as the box score suggests. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

And if im not mistaken, the big couple good runs that the Chiefs got opening the second half was because Vita Vea was not on field, he was on sideline allegedly.

10 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

And if im not mistaken, the big couple good runs that the Chiefs got opening the second half was because Vita Vea was not on field, he was on sideline allegedly.

He was on the field for 31 of 75 plays so this is very possible.

Suh was in for 48 plays.