FA 2021 - WR Chris Godwin franchise tagged

ravishingone

19 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

People have to keep in mind that both Evans and Godwin were injured this year. Especially at the beginning of the year, there were games where Evans clearly lacked explosion. 

Second, people who look at stats alone must keep in mind that the offense is loaded. Most teams don't have Antonio Brown on pace for 1 000 yards as 3rd receiver and Scotty Miller as a 4th target. Add in Gronk, Howard and Brate at TE also. Of course, Evans and Godwin stats will suffer. It does not make them less talented or important for this team. 

Finally, the Bucs were a 11-5 team. This means that they often play with the lead and don't have to force the ball as much. So no garbage time stats padding for your stars (except the Lions game).

Personally, I see Godwin as a better player between both 20 yard lines and Evans as a better red zone threat. For 15,8 M$, I see no reason why they should not have tagged Godwin.

Yeah well said here... Evans had a down year because of all those factors mentioned. So, easier to say Godwin may be the more important WR going forward. But, I do wonder how Godwin would do as the #1 taking on the top corners and double teams that Evans does. And I don't know on the stats comparison but Evans dropped a few big catches too. 

Evans being the better redzone target, and Godwin being the better YAC guy. I'd put their blocking skills and hands about the same level. The biggest issue though going forward is if they both can stay healthy throughout the year. With OJ returning, and with the possible addition of a better pass catching RB, I don't know if either WR's stats would be higher again in 2021. 

2 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

Yeah well said here... Evans had a down year because of all those factors mentioned. So, easier to say Godwin may be the more important WR going forward. But, I do wonder how Godwin would do as the #1 taking on the top corners and double teams that Evans does. And I don't know on the stats comparison but Evans dropped a few big catches too. 

Evans being the better redzone target, and Godwin being the better YAC guy. I'd put their blocking skills and hands about the same level. The biggest issue though going forward is if they both can stay healthy throughout the year. With OJ returning, and with the possible addition of a better pass catching RB, I don't know if either WR's stats would be higher again in 2021. 

On a yards/game basis, they don't have to be. 

The Bucs were at their best last year when they ran the ball effectively. They had trouble against the Saints (2nd matchup) and the Rams when they were forcing the ball too much. They also used the play-action in the Super Bowl and we saw how effective Gronk was on these instances.

Good football players do not only put up yards. They open the field for others, they prevent other teams from stacking the box (which helps your RB corpse a lot). Hell, Godwin blocks like he's an undrafted free agent trying to make the team (he reminds me of Edelman in that sense). The Bucs are paying big bucks for good players, period. I don't care if they put up 1 400 yards or 1 100 yards (as long as it's not 500 yards either, but you get what I'm saying).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dalan162 said:

The Bucs were at their best last year when they ran the ball effectively. They had trouble against the Saints (2nd matchup) and the Rams when they were forcing the ball too much. They also used the play-action in the Super Bowl and we saw how effective Gronk was on these instances.

Good football players do not only put up yards. They open the field for others, they prevent other teams from stacking the box (which helps your RB corpse a lot). Hell, Godwin blocks like he's an undrafted free agent trying to make the team (he reminds me of Edelman in that sense). The Bucs are paying big bucks for good players, period. I don't care if they put up 1 400 yards or 1 100 yards (as long as it's not 500 yards either, but you get what I'm saying).

Of course, I didn't mean that as stats being a representation of them being good football players. 

53 minutes ago, Dalan162 said:

CG is very comparable to Robert Woods in this aspect. Woods is one of the best pound for pound blocking WR's in the league and is similar in stature.

Pretty rare to see 2 superstar WR's on the same team that are both probably top 10-20 in the league (in terms of blocking) that we have with Evans and CG.  

Gronk will be signed probably as long as Brady is here.  Assuming Gronk production wise doesn t fall off a cliff, this has to be OJ Howard s last season with the Bucs.  Even if OJ has a monster yr, would it be cap wise to pay OJ more then Gronk on yearly avg?   I m not sure they could try to sign Godwin and OJ long term.  There will be guys coming off the cap next season, but Carlton Davis is on track to get a monster contract.  I don t think they trade OJ because the goal is to repeat and just get a comp pick for OJ when he leaves.

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Gronk will be signed probably as long as Brady is here.  Assuming Gronk production wise doesn t fall off a cliff, this has to be OJ Howard s last season with the Bucs.  Even if OJ has a monster yr, would it be cap wise to pay OJ more then Gronk on yearly avg?   I m not sure they could try to sign Godwin and OJ long term.  There will be guys coming off the cap next season, but Carlton Davis is on track to get a monster contract.  I don t think they trade OJ because the goal is to repeat and just get a comp pick for OJ when he leaves.

I agree. A monster year from OJ + comp. pick is worth more than improving draft position. Bucs are in win now mode as shown yesterday by David’s contract structure and TB12 age

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Brate too. Gronk can't settle for less.

Brate is slated to make $6.5 million this year and can be cut with absolutely no dead money. I think there is a very good chance he's cut.

We could take that savings and hand it to Gronk on a 1 year deal. 

Still think Brate could and would likely be back, but on a new near vet min deal.