FA 2021 - WR Chris Godwin franchise tagged

ravishingone

2 minutes ago, indifference said:

Mike Evans at 16.5

Chris Godwin at 16

Love CG but man he should not be paid almost as much as Evans with 1-thousand yard season. And he misses a few games a year. Maybe this is a sign cap is going up soon

idk if i completely agree here 

Godwin is the more important WR in our Offense

Evans is amazing but he doesnt really get YAC, isnt as sure handed,  nor is he as good of a blocker as CG14

Godwin is the better WR for TB12 

i am completely OK with Godwin getting Evans money

1 minute ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

idk if i completely agree here 

Godwin is the more important WR in our Offense

Evans is amazing but he doesnt really get YAC, isnt as sure handed,  nor is he as good of a blocker as CG14

Godwin is the better WR for TB12 

i am completely OK with Godwin getting Evans money

Production doesnt match Evans though. Evans is a bonafide top 5 WR, Godwin is not in that class. He doesnt draw opposing teams #1 CB. Evans makes it easier for him to get open as well as other WRs because he gets doubled so often. Evans IMO is the most important WR because Arians loves the big play ball and thats where Evans is at best. Godwin is the best YAC guy on the team but he hasnt played a full season and only has 1-thousand yard year under his belt. This tag makes sense in a sense that we will wait and see if he can go back to being that 1300 yard guy or is he a 800 yard 5 TD type. Which is good for a #2 WR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, indifference said:

Production doesnt match Evans though. Evans is a bonafide top 5 WR, Godwin is not in that class. He doesnt draw opposing teams #1 CB. Evans makes it easier for him to get open as well as other WRs because he gets doubled so often. Evans IMO is the most important WR because Arians loves the big play ball and thats where Evans is at best. Godwin is the best YAC guy on the team but he hasnt played a full season and only has 1-thousand yard year under his belt. This tag makes sense in a sense that we will wait and see if he can go back to being that 1300 yard guy or is he a 800 yard 5 TD type. Which is good for a #2 WR

the only thing that i can say here is that Godwin's injuries are annoying

because in this offense, i guarantee you that Godwin would have out produced Evans last year had it not been for injuries

maybe not in touchdowns, but definitely in yardage and catches

Evans barely got his 1k because we were force feeding him in the lions game

not taking anything away from Evans, im just saying in this Brady offense, Godwin is the most important WR

for some reason Evans just wasnt looked to as much last year, probably because Brady just always goes to the open guy

10 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

because in this offense, i guarantee you that Godwin would have out produced Evans last year had it not been for injuries

not taking anything away from Evans, im just saying in this Brady offense, Godwin is the most important WR

for some reason Evans just wasnt looked to as much last year, probably because Brady just always goes to the open guy

in Evans defense Tom missed him a lot this year his numbers would be way better if he had more targets.

26 minutes ago, indifference said:

That the thing though, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Evans is well into his prime years and the production matches that. CG is just entering his prime years and we've already seen what he is capable of. CG doesn't draw the #1 CB's because we have Mike Evans and that he moves around the formation and plays out of the slot at times too (you don't see shutdown outside corners travel into the slot). If CG was the sole #1 option on this team, he would draw those covers.

I don't subscribe that either of the two is more important than the other, as they both play vital roles in the offense. Evans is an absolute nightmare matchup physically probably the best WR red zone threat in the league. CG is more of the jack of all trades guy, but has some of the best hands in the league (despite what we saw in the playoffs). 

I fully expect we're gonna see CG putting up numbers close to his 2019 level consistently through his 25-30 age years.

Edited by kgarrett12486

3 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

People have to keep in mind that both Evans and Godwin were injured this year. Especially at the beginning of the year, there were games where Evans clearly lacked explosion. 

Second, people who look at stats alone must keep in mind that the offense is loaded. Most teams don't have Antonio Brown on pace for 1 000 yards as 3rd receiver and Scotty Miller as a 4th target. Add in Gronk, Howard and Brate at TE also. Of course, Evans and Godwin stats will suffer. It does not make them less talented or important for this team. 

Finally, the Bucs were a 11-5 team. This means that they often play with the lead and don't have to force the ball as much. So no garbage time stats padding for your stars (except the Lions game).

Personally, I see Godwin as a better player between both 20 yard lines and Evans as a better red zone threat. For 15,8 M$, I see no reason why they should not have tagged Godwin.

Edited by Dalan162
  • Like 1