House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

10 hours ago, Forge said:

We will see if he changes his mind, but he's been adamant in the past that nobody is finishing his work after he dies. He's good friends with guys like Daniel Abraham and has mentioned specifically that they would never get to finish it.

Never know with heirs, though I think he's said in the past that he doesn't think Parris would have someone else finish it  either. Beyond that, who is to say. 

I believe that he has indicated that he wouldn't mind having notes and various manuscripts being made available though. Chapters that got cut, or stuff that he didn't finish. But he really doesn't want anyone writing it besides himself. 

Also, is westeros.org still a thing? Holy crap. I probably haven't posted on there in 15 years. 

It may not be immediately, but whoever owns the rights is going to chase the money eventually.

Listening to the behind the scenes stuff they play after the credits makes me think that most of the production really doesn't understand the source material.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

We will see if he changes his mind, but he's been adamant in the past that nobody is finishing his work after he dies.

Maybe the death of the author may legitimately result in the death of the author? 

Not saying much because the rest of the character are basically sacks of potatoes but Aegon is hard carrying the season through the first two episodes. 

Edited by skywindO2

9 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

He couldn’t tell us the rat catchers real name, but we never thought to think he could point out his face. Aegon is a moron.

To be fair, do you think his ego would allow him to always take good looks at people "that far beneath" him? Now Heleana, yeah, I would think she'd know or someone else for that matter.

One thing I really enjoyed about the last episode was while Otto was being dismissed you see how much he really did like and respect Viserys even if he was blinded by his personal/house ambition during Viserys' life.

• Like 1

There really isn't anyone I like but I think all of their characters are supposed to be like that? Maybe it's tougher because for GOT, I was more invested in the characters because there was so much more with the books. And, the show did a great job of that because they had so much more from GRRM to build on. I never read Fire and Blood but I gather that it's just more of a history?

I don't dislike or like the show yet. I'm still holding out on judgement for the moment.

15 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Not that I'm going to stop watching but I'm also not that into the season. Last week we had a failed assassination reminiscent of the three stooges, this week the twins thing felt like something out of a 90s sitcom. 

My biggest gripe is that some plot points and characters haven't been given room to breathe.  For example, Lucerys' death.  Strictly speaking as a fan of the show who hasn't read the books, I didn't think it was treated as all that significant of a moment.  At the very least it would have been nice to see the immediate reaction in Kings Landing rather than it being brought up in passing during the council meeting.  Daemon/Mysaria/Blood & Cheese & twins story felt rushed too.  

I get that they have a lot they need to tell... but maybe that is why you try and make 10 episodes work.

Still very much enjoying it and I'm sure the best is still to come, but yeah I do think the first 2 episodes could have been better if everything could have been fleshed out a little more

Edited by iknowcool

The whole point of doing a story like this as a TV series is to tell a fuller story.  Then you get producers trying to cut costs as much as they can to save money hoping the people who subscribe will just stay.  In a producers view, if someone keeps Max for House of the Dragon, they'll keep it whether it's 10 episodes or 8.  What they fail to realize is that by going from 10 to 8, the end result is going to be worse.  In the short term, the difference may be negligable, but over time, that rot will spread and the product (the streaming service) is less.  Look at how the legacy of the original Game of Thrones series has been tarnished because the producers stopped at 8 seasons and cut 7 episodes out of those last two seasons.  It easily could have been 10, 10 episode seasons with the content that was established, but they were more concerned about that next paycheck.  

Television seasons used to be regularly 21-24 episodes.  Then some culled it down to 13 to tell a more concise story.  Then it was down to 10.  Now most are down to 8.  Some will even try 6.  Once you get that low, you might be better off just making a movie, because you won't be telling much more of a story than a movie does.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

One thing I really enjoyed about the last episode was while Otto was being dismissed you see how much he really did like and respect Viserys even if he was blinded by his personal/house ambition during Viserys' life.

Not sure that scene depicts a liking or respect for Viserys - who he was determined to undermine while he was alive - so much as it shows a lament for the personal qualities lost and a regret his influence has waned with this younger crew. The following scene where he laments "youth" is telling. Otto has no piers around him and now he's been cast adrift. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Not sure that scene depicts a liking or respect for Viserys - who he was determined to undermine while he was alive - so much as it shows a lament for the personal qualities lost and a regret his influence has waned with this younger crew. The following scene where he laments "youth" is telling. Otto has no piers around him and now he's been cast adrift. 

I took it as him realizing he took Viserys for granted, and that his grandson is a moron.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I took it as him realizing he took Viserys for granted, and that his grandson is a moron.

Agreed. Before Aemma died, Otto and Viserys were friends. He definitely tried to manipulate Viserys in his later years (with mixed outcomes), but I think it was mostly Otto legit missing his old friend.

On 6/24/2024 at 3:01 PM, biggio7 said:

There really isn't anyone I like but I think all of their characters are supposed to be like that? Maybe it's tougher because for GOT, I was more invested in the characters because there was so much more with the books. And, the show did a great job of that because they had so much more from GRRM to build on. I never read Fire and Blood but I gather that it's just more of a history?

I don't dislike or like the show yet. I'm still holding out on judgement for the moment.

Yeah it’s supposed to be murky, give you enough to root for their success or downfall. With a lot of the side characters their aligned with being way better or way worse.