House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Great first episode. I think too many people were expecting a "Bran falls out of a window" type event, but it set up all of the characters nicely and had the old school GOT feel. 

In terms of traumatic, sacrificing the queen to rip a child out of her (and show it) and they both die was about on par I thought.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Assuming you meant Rhaenyra and not her old AF cousin, isn't she supposed to be young at this point? I know the actress is 21 but I imagine they made every effort to make her look half her age since in the books she is like 7 when her mom dies. 

Did you just 

TbpyR5f.png

me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

was neither blown away nor disappointed in the episode. I will continue to watch obviously, but so far I feel like we have a lot of miscastings - or at worst people I won't have strong feelings for.

Precisely this, nice to see another poster here that’s level or negative on it all. Kinda looks like they found the cast at Walmart (but broke the bank on Doctor Who actor) and I don’t feel anything for any of them. 
I did look up the Targaryen family tree to get more of an understanding of who I’m watching. 

13 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Maybe I'm just not that emo but I feel like it takes me more than one episode to "feel" for a character. Not many people had immediate impacts on me in the previous series, including all the Starks.

No, it's a fair point, and I will have differing opinions as it goes on, but to be honest a lot of my initial takes from early GoT stuck throughout (Emilia Clarke was below the rest of the cast, whereas Lena killed it from the start. I also loved Dinklage from the beginning too even though I didn't know much about him. Maisie was the one that grew on me the most.)

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Precisely this, nice to see another poster here that’s level or negative on it all. Kinda looks like they found the cast at Walmart (but broke the bank on Doctor Who actor) and I don’t feel anything for any of them. 
I did look up the Targaryen family tree to get more of an understanding of who I’m watching. 

Seeing Paddy as the king was a bit out of place, knowing him better in roles like thishot-fuzz.gif&ehk=kjGONS9Bg2Nz7Rd%2BFzEwR

But seeing Rhys Ifans was a nice surprise 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Not a fan of that prophecy thing at the end. 

Less dragons, more jousting tbh

Thank you - the only way I can see it working is if as a result of the upcoming Targ Civil War, the prophecy is lost. Otherwise, it completely ruins the mystery of Rhaegar Targaryan's actions in Game of Thrones, the whole point of the Prince that was Promised was that it was the only thing that could explain him running off with Lyanna Stark, being sad all the time, etc.

I get wanting to connect it to the source material, but that undercuts the heart of GoT.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I was neither blown away nor disappointed in the episode.

This is how I feel. It was alright, they got the overall feel back of the show. I appreciate that.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thank you - the only way I can see it working is if as a result of the upcoming Targ Civil War, the prophecy is lost. Otherwise, it completely ruins the mystery of Rhaegar Targaryan's actions in Game of Thrones, the whole point of the Prince that was Promised was that it was the only thing that could explain him running off with Lyanna Stark, being sad all the time, etc.

I get wanting to connect it to the source material, but that undercuts the heart of GoT.

I hadn't even thought of that, that makes it even worse for me. I just thought it was a very heavy handed attempt to force the story together for viewers that somehow forgot or something. The 170 years before Dany thing was enough.

Spoiler

As far as I know, there isn't any such in-universe prophecy but the source material for this particular story that they're telling is relatively thin.

Edited by skywindO2

19 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I hadn't even thought of that, that makes it even worse for me. I just thought it was a very heavy handed attempt to force the story together for viewers that somehow forgot or something. The 170 years before Dany thing was enough.

Hide contents

As far as I know, there isn't any such in-universe prophecy but the source material for this particular story that they're telling is relatively thin.

In the books it's deliberately ambiguous as to whether magic/prophecy is real, but the show had to kind of drop that even though they tried to keep the spirit of it intact. Like I don't know how you argue magic isn't real when we see Renly Baratheon killed by a shadow, but that doesn't mean that all visions/magic/prophecies are genuine. Both the books and show make a point of saying that the meaning of a prophecy can be distorted by people (like everyone interpreting the comet in Season 2 GoT that they're side will win). 

There's some of that distortion in this prophecy too. There's nothing in other versions of the Prince that was Promised that says the Prince had to be king, but Viserys has interpreted the prophecy that the world will end without a Targ on the Iron Throne.

But ruining the mystery of the guy who could technically be argued as the protagonist of the main story for a through line on a side story isn't a good idea IMO.

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16