House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

Been down all week with salmonella so I was able to binge through GoT (from season 5, episode 5) the last few days and ended up watching this last night right after watching the GoT finale. Honestly, the Targaryen's were my least favorite aspect of GoT but I'm down to give this a full shot, unlike what I did with GoT and brushed it off for a decade lol. The one thing I disliked is that Matt Smith is totally miscast in this. I know it's only one episode but I can't do it. Just can't lol.

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The one thing I disliked is that Matt Smith is totally miscast in this. I know it's only one episode but I can't do it. Just can't lol.

He's extremely talented but he sticks out like a sore thumb. He has SUCH a unique look and his first big break was so widespread and iconic it makes it hard to separate the actor from the role going forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

He's extremely talented but he sticks out like a sore thumb. He has SUCH a unique look and his first big break was so widespread and iconic it makes it hard to separate the actor from the role going forward. 

Such a good Doctor too!

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I just meant as the character he's portraying. I don't watch Doctor Who at all, just don't buy him being the hardass brother to a perceived weak king.

Just now, beekay414 said:

I just meant as the character he's portraying. I don't watch Doctor Who at all, just don't buy him being the hardass brother to a perceived weak king.

I guess I view the character a little different. To me he came off less "hardass" and more uncontrollable loon who likes to throw around his unearned power from his position in court as a show of strength without really having much. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I guess I view the character a little different. To me he came off less "hardass" and more uncontrollable loon who likes to throw around his unearned power from his position in court as a show of strength without really having much. 

Hardass was a really simple way of putting it. Basically, just don't buy him in that type of role. Not yet, at least. I know that the show writers for GoT approached Charlie Hunnam for a cameo in that series. I think he would've been solid for this role. Cillian Murphy is another one. I'm sure Smith will have me eating these words by the end of the series though.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hardass was a really simple way of putting it. Basically, just don't buy him in that type of role. Not yet, at least. I know that the show writers for GoT approached Charlie Hunnam for a cameo in that series. I think he would've been solid for this role. Cillian Murphy is another one. I'm sure Smith will have me eating these words by the end of the series though.

He's got the chops to do it, thats for sure. 

Matt Smith being in the role may be coloring my perception of it a bit so that it fits better in my head. 

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The problem is that instead of this prophecy of the Prince that was Promised being Rhaegar's secret, it's now a Targaryan family secret. Not only are there logistical questions, like why would Rhaegar keep it as quiet as he did, but it takes the defining secret of Game of Thrones outside of that story.

I just don't see the issues you do. It seemed, at least to me, it is only passed on to the heir, not the whole family. So at any given time there is at most two people who know of the prophecy. It was deliberately kept secret from everyone else. That is why Rhaegar didn't say anything. The Prince that was Promised is a prophecy from a different person. And Rheagar knowing the Targ prophecy and then reading about the PtwP prophecy came to believe they prophesized the same event and he was that person...and then his son...etc. This leads into the video you posted. I'm not sure where you see a problem coming from.

11 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You could argue that Rhaegar Targaryan is the protagonist of the main books and show, even though he was dead before the story started (EDIT: In my opinion he's not, Ned Stark is the protagonist and Tywin Lannister is the antagonist, but it's arguable). And as @seminoles1 said, George did a really good job through the 1st 5 books of giving breadcrumbs as to why. This video does a good job of breaking it down:

The problem is that instead of this prophecy of the Prince that was Promised being Rhaegar's secret, it's now a Targaryan family secret. Not only are there logistical questions, like why would Rhaegar keep it as quiet as he did, but it takes the defining secret of Game of Thrones outside of that story.

I haven't read the books that this series is based off, but I'm pretty sure that given the dragons end up dying off by the time we roll around to GoT timeline, I think it's highly reasonable that the secret being passed on from king to heir ends up getting lost in time, and Rhagar ends up uncovering it himself - especially since some of the background on him showed he was very much into researching prophecies and such. It's also part of the lore that one of the Targ women was able to foresee the Doom coming to Valyria - that's the whole reason the Targs were out in Dragonstone when the Doom rolled around, so I don't think it's really a stretch to incorporate the long-term prophecy. Could also be a subtle middle finger to D&D ruining the final stretch of the story.

There's a few pieces that I'd be curious to rewatch, but we already know:

1. No living dragons by that time, so a good portion of them might die during this show

2. Daemon wields Dark Sister - this was one of the two Valyrian steel swords the Targs brought with them to Westeros. I suspect we may see how it gets lost during this series, whether this season or in a future season

3. Could be wrong, but during the King-Heir prophecy, was that the same dagger that ends up killing the White Walker leader when Arya stabs him?

4. Secret is supposed to be strictly King to Heir. Given we're 170ish years before Danny, I think that's quite some time for the person carrying the secret to take it to their grave.

While I'm sure a few more episodes and I'll be itching to read the book(s), I will try to keep myself in the dark as to the particulars of the fates of the characters within this storyline to avoid spoiling any potential twists or Reins of Castemere moments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Yeah, I think he's coming off more style than substance - he'd view himself as being someone skilled on the level of Arthur Dayne, but not actually having the skill to back it up. His antics during the tournament also supported this.

• Like 2

Overall, I thought it was a strong first episode that helped wash some of the bad taste of GoT out. Normally I hate 'prequels' since you know what's going to end up being the ultimate outcome, but as long as they keep a good pace and the story interesting, I'll come for the ride.

Some characters were a little stale, but I'm willing to give it a bit more time before casting judgement.

The tournament and child birthing scenes were well done in overlap, and definitely set the mood for the season to come, though it's a bit eerie thinking this might be the exact type of future that the GOP hopes for.

• Like 1

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16