NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

Just now, CWood21 said:

How much do you think Mike Conley is going to fetch in FA?

The chart provided by ProFitX takes into account injuries, age and on-court performance and shows a starting salary for Conley Jr. to range from a low of $16.3 million to a high of $21.8 million.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/

According to that link, there are 13 teams with $10M+ in projected cap space.  You've got New York ($51.3M), San Antonio ($49.4M), Oklahoma City ($49.5M), Toronto ($29.7M), Miami ($28.1M), Charlotte ($26.7M), Dallas ($24.5M), Memphis ($24.4M), Chicago ($23.7M), Atlanta ($15.3M), Cleveland ($15.3M), New Orleans ($15.0M), and Detroit ($13.4M).  If you exclude the teams that Mike Conley doesn't fit with their direction (i.e. age, rebuilding, etc.), you're removing Oklahoma City, Chicago, Cleveland, New Orleans, and Detroit most likely.  And then you exclude the teams that already have a PG in place (or retaining one), you're excluding Toronto (Kyle Lowry), Miami (Goran Dragic), Charlotte (Terry Rozier), and Memphis (Ja Morant).  So you're left with New York, San Antonio, and Dallas as the market for Conley.  IF Toronto loses Lowry, then they might be in the market for Conley, but I'd imagine they'd reload in another direction.  You could probably even take the Spurs out of that market because of Dejounte Murray.  If Dallas or New York doesn't go after him, Utah might be the highest bidder by default.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Ricky Rubio got $17M APY, Pat Beverly got $13.3M APY, Kemba Walker got $35M APY, FVV got $21.5M APY, Goran Dragic got $18M APY. 

And you think Conley is going to play for peanuts coming off of an All-Star season? @CWood21

No.  I think Utah ends up re-signing him for something around $15M/year.  Maybe a bit more.  But the market isn't going to be as hot on him as I think you think it'll be.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

It's hard to see him getting less than $15 million a season on a 3 year deal.

Sounds about right.  But who is making that kind of offer?  Outside of Dallas and New York, who is going to be willing to pay him that kind of money?

Just now, CWood21 said:

IF Toronto loses Lowry, then they might be in the market for Conley, but I'd imagine they'd reload in another direction.  You could probably even take the Spurs out of that market because of Dejounte Murray.  If Dallas or New York doesn't go after him, Utah might be the highest bidder by default.

Conley said during his exit interview he wants to win. Miami in theory could opt out of Dragic contract and pursue Conley but then that'd hurt their chances of going after a max level guy in 2022. He isn't winning anything in New York or San Antonio and I don't think the Knicks would commit big money to him because they too will want to be players in the huge 2022 free agent class. Same for Dallas, you can sign Mike, lose THJ, but that also pretty much stops you from going after a max guy in 2022 which isn't something I think Luka would be thrilled about. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Sounds about right.  But who is making that kind of offer?  Outside of Dallas and New York, who is going to be willing to pay him that kind of money?

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's hard to see him getting less than $15 million a season on a 3 year deal.

From what I've read we're likely going to offer him a 2 yr/$40M deal. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I think Utah ends up re-signing him for something around $15M/year.  Maybe a bit more.  But the market isn't going to be as hot on him as I think you think it'll be.

I don't think the market will be hot for him at all especially at his age and with his injury history. I'm just saying if he wants to leave I'd prefer to S&T him so we can get a piece back rather than losing him for nothing. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Conley said during his exit interview he wants to win. Miami in theory could opt out of Dragic contract and pursue Conley but then that'd hurt their chances of going after a max level guy in 2022. He isn't winning anything in New York or San Antonio and I don't think the Knicks would commit big money to him because they too will want to be players in the huge 2022 free agent class. Same for Dallas, you can sign Mike, lose THJ, but that also pretty much stops you from going after a max guy in 2022 which isn't something I think Luka would be thrilled about. 

You're arguing my point for me.  The market isn't going to be flush for Conley IMO.  He's dealt with injuries for a few years, and if the market turns out to be as soft on him as I think it might be, then it might behoove him to take a non-taxpayer MLE from a team (~2 years, $20M, second year a player option) who is competing for a championship.  That is if Utah doesn't feel pressured to re-sign him, which I'd imagine they will.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You're arguing my point for me.  The market isn't going to be flush for Conley IMO.  He's dealt with injuries for a few years, and if the market turns out to be as soft on him as I think it might be, then it might behoove him to take a non-taxpayer MLE from a team (~2 years, $20M, second year a player option) who is competing for a championship.  That is if Utah doesn't feel pressured to re-sign him, which I'd imagine they will.

Yes, I think we will offer him a 2 yr/$35-40M deal to secure him and bring him back. 

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think the market will be hot for him at all especially at his age and with his injury history. I'm just saying if he wants to leave I'd prefer to S&T him so we can get a piece back rather than losing him for nothing. 

So...again I'll circle around back to the original part, why would Conley accept a S&T to Indiana?