What are you thinking about?

pwny

56 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's gonna be bad. There will be people going homeless and hungry because of this. 

But hey, the rich can afford their third or fourth vacation home and go to space. So...y'know...clearly trickle down economics is working just fine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, D82 said:

But hey, the rich can afford their third or fourth vacation home and go to space. So...y'know...clearly trickle down economics is working just fine. 

They trickle piss down our backs and tell us it’s just raining.

Trickle down economics

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dome said:

They trickle piss down our backs and tell us it’s just raining.

Trickle down economics

And they've got a large amount of this country buying in to believe other things are far more significant and important while also selling they're the ones to help them out and fix their issues. 

47 minutes ago, TVScout said:

That has nothing to do with it.

Colleges and universities are spending more on administration and less on instruction.

https://www.usnews.com/education/articles/one-culprit-in-rising-college-costs

You see how that is the same thing though, right? Like, of course rising college costs are not resulting in the professors getting paid more. Rising costs = more profit, but that profit ALWAYS, in today's world, goes right to the top. That is administration, in this case.

These Canadian fires...

Im in Virginia off the Potomac River. Cant imagine how awful it is for you guys north of me.

Someone toss an update. Strait across the river towards Maryland here. Its a half mile/mile of visibility before you just see a whitish wall. No clouds yet no sun type haze.

Does anyone here have an EV car and also solar panels? Is it worth it to go that route?

I've read numerous articles that say the cost savings from gas much outweighs the increased electrical cost if you buy an EV, but my friend's Uncle said it's not cheaper to have a Tesla because his electricity bill out weighed it...

Didn't know whether to put this in the car thread or the house thread lol

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

These Canadian fires...

Im in Virginia off the Potomac River. Cant imagine how awful it is for you guys north of me.

Someone toss an update. Strait across the river towards Maryland here. Its a half mile/mile of visibility before you just see a whitish wall. No clouds yet no sun type haze.

This is Yankee stadium right now.

You can't play in that. Gotta postpone this game.

In the Philly area, it's been bad since midday yesterday and only getting worse. We just got a bit of that orange haze in the last hour, but visibility has been garbage since yesterday evening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone here have an EV car and also solar panels? Is it worth it to go that route?

I've read numerous articles that say the cost savings from gas much outweighs the increased electrical cost if you buy an EV, but my friend's Uncle said it's not cheaper to have a Tesla because his electricity bill out weighed it...

Didn't know whether to put this in the car thread or the house thread lol

Are you still in the Pacific Northwest? If so, I doubt you get enough sun:

solar-annual-ghi-2018-usa-scale-01.jpg

Solar panels make a ton of sense if you're in Denver, Dallas, or Phoenix or something like that, but for a lot of the country it's going to take a long, long time to breakeven from the environmental cost of building them. And the cost being 100% up front sucks when you're younger and stuck between either financing them at a high interest rate or saving the cash that could be invested in something with a more immediate ROI.

The math may change on this fairly quickly over the next few years though. The US is ramping up electric car supply chains big time. The Biden admin recently struck a new deal with Japan for battery components and Stellantis is throwing money at Lithium-Sulfur batteries so hopefully the capacity issues start to go away.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Are you still in the Pacific Northwest? If so, I doubt you get enough sun:

solar-annual-ghi-2018-usa-scale-01.jpg

Solar panels make a ton of sense if you're in Denver, Dallas, or Phoenix or something like that, but for a lot of the country it's going to take a long, long time to breakeven from the environmental cost of building them. And the cost being 100% up front sucks when you're younger and stuck between either financing them at a high interest rate or saving the cash that could be invested in something with a more immediate ROI.

The math may change on this fairly quickly over the next few years though. The US is ramping up electric car supply chains big time. The Biden admin recently struck a new deal with Japan for battery components and Stellantis is throwing money at Lithium-Sulfur batteries so hopefully the capacity issues start to go away.

Yeah I'm still in the PNW, but I'm in the area of Washington there on the east side where it gets a little more dark yellow than like Seattle or Portland.

I'm strongly considering going to an EV car. The Solar panel thing was just a bonus that I was also considering since I have the cash to do it (I think), but only if the breakeven isn't like decades down the road for me.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah I'm still in the PNW, but I'm in the area of Washington there on the east side where it gets a little more dark yellow than like Seattle or Portland.

I'm strongly considering going to an EV car. The Solar panel thing was just a bonus that I was also considering since I have the cash to do it (I think), but only if the breakeven isn't like decades down the road for me.

I was leaning that way pretty strongly too, and ultimately couldn't find the math to justify it without moving. I'm hoping the next 10 years we see the line shift to where EVs overtake gas engines, but the demand is going to skyrocket too.

My power company recently gave the option to change my electricity from 40% nat gas to purely wind power though, was pretty pumped about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I was leaning that way pretty strongly too, and ultimately couldn't find the math to justify it without moving. I'm hoping the next 10 years we see the line shift to where EVs overtake gas engines, but the demand is going to skyrocket too.

My power company recently gave the option to change my electricity from 40% nat gas to purely wind power though, was pretty pumped about that.

What do you mean about this part?

• Like 1