What are you thinking about?

pwny

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not doing this again. When we start running low, I’m installing 2 bidet attachments in my house, I don’t even care what others think. I’m done playing that game.

Not having them installed already is a mistake. #BidetLife

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm sincerely enjoying renting more and more.

Had a basement flood this summer, and yeah moving stuff out of the water is annoying and my cat was not happy about it, but calling the landlord like "hey bud, got some news for ya" and then not giving a crap was the best feeling ever.

We were without power for 4 days this weekend (Starting Friday) through Tuesday. I can say with confidence that the backup sump pump with a week long battery (stays plugged in and once power goes out it kicks on) was the best $500 purchase I’ve ever made. Basement stayed dry as a bone.

We also rent out our basement (1400 square feet, 2 large 16x20ish bedrooms, full kitchen and laundry, side entrance, totally separate dwelling apartment setup on 2 acres), and I can say with confidence that I felt so bad for the four guys who live here. One of them texted me “Hmmm we just lost wifi” and I said “Hey everyone we just lost power and you won’t have any running water and get exactly 1 toilet flush use it wisely. After that don’t flush because the grinder tank will backup into your kitchen.”

Got most of their and all of our fridge and freezer stuff secured, reminded them that the local university has showers in the locker rooms, but it was a long 4 days.

Legitimately I don’t understand how some landlords are fine bailing on their tenants, I take it so personally when things happen, even if it’s beyond my control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

My house is worth almost 700,000 but is it really if nobody can afford it?

As my dad always said: "It's only worth what someone will pay for it"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

The discussion on the answer to this question almost surely breaks forum rules lol

Nah, we just need to approach it philosophically. Lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We were without power for 4 days this weekend (Starting Friday) through Tuesday. I can say with confidence that the backup sump pump with a week long battery (stays plugged in and once power goes out it kicks on) was the best $500 purchase I’ve ever made. Basement stayed dry as a bone.

We also rent out our basement (1400 square feet, 2 large 16x20ish bedrooms, full kitchen and laundry, side entrance, totally separate dwelling apartment setup on 2 acres), and I can say with confidence that I felt so bad for the four guys who live here. One of them texted me “Hmmm we just lost wifi” and I said “Hey everyone we just lost power and you won’t have any running water and get exactly 1 toilet flush use it wisely. After that don’t flush because the grinder tank will backup into your kitchen.”

Got most of their and all of our fridge and freezer stuff secured, reminded them that the local university has showers in the locker rooms, but it was a long 4 days.

Legitimately I don’t understand how some landlords are fine bailing on their tenants, I take it so personally when things happen, even if it’s beyond my control.

This attitude pays off, at least from my perspective.

To my landlord's credit, they were super cool about everything. Immediately came over and started trying to figure out what happened, and when it finally drained out like 36 hours later they went and scrubbed as much as they could to limit mold, got gutter covers everywhere, all that stuff.

If they weren't, I don't know if I'd have immediately moved, but the experience definitely makes me comfortable locking in for another year, and from there, who knows? I'm in no rush.

This is why I don't rent from a big faceless corporation, finding someone with a set of properties who cares about them enough that they'll notice and care about having a good tenant makes all the difference in terms of each party putting in just a little bit extra effort to keep the other one happy. I pay rent on time, keep the place clean, don't disturb my neighbors, and am a good communicator if I notice anything. They take my feedback seriously and immediately try to fix stuff. Everybody wins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This attitude pays off, at least from my perspective.

For sure; if nothing else, I can stand before God with a clean conscience. There is a legitimate need for quality and affordable housing. And the landlord/tenant relationship is symbiotic.

My perspective: Please take good care of my property. Normal wear and tear will happen, so yes, each year I will patch holes, touch up paint, and clean it. I will also repair and pay for repairs that are out of your control. Stuff breaks, it happens, no problem. Just please let me know as soon as stuff happens, don't let small problems become big ones. Also, please understand that yes, I am going to make money off of you living here. That money in turn goes into infrastructure for the rental (We have ours fully furnished, including furniture like couches and dressers, beds and mattresses, dishes, appliances, coffee maker, etc....almost picture a long term AirBnb. In the past 4+ years, I have replaced the entire floor to the tune of $10K, added baseboard heating for ~$3K for their comfort, bought a new fridge/freezer and stove/range.) In return I need you to please pay me on time or communicate with me if stuff comes up. In 4+ years I have not charged nor will I ever charge a late fee unless it's absolutely egregious. I usually just ping a friendly reminder, followed up with ~2 days later a "checking on the status, are you okay and do you need anything" text separate from the group. I also have not raised rent in 4 years...and I'm weighing raising it $100 total a month next year vs. waiting until this group leaves and then raising it.

To my landlord's credit, they were super cool about everything. Immediately came over and started trying to figure out what happened, and when it finally drained out like 36 hours later they went and scrubbed as much as they could to limit mold, got gutter covers everywhere, all that stuff.

TBH, you can't ask for much more from a landlord. Control the controllable.

If they weren't, I don't know if I'd have immediately moved, but the experience definitely makes me comfortable locking in for another year, and from there, who knows? I'm in no rush.

If they didn't, it should raise an eyebrow, barring them being out of state and unable to help, but even then, I always have a backup point of contact for these things, and would probably have brought in a professional plumber or something, unless the storm was bad enough to where everyone else was back-logged.

This is why I don't rent from a big faceless corporation, finding someone with a set of properties who cares about them enough that they'll notice and care about having a good tenant makes all the difference in terms of each party putting in just a little bit extra effort to keep the other one happy.

EXACTLY. It's interesting, because in our small town, there's a guy or two with the reputation of "slum lords". Run down places that are cheap, barely livable if even livable, and yeah, people probably pay a little more to live here in my place, but I also do NOT charge them utility bills, I cover  those. I even let them use my internet (you can setup a guest network and all of that stuff). I had one of their girlfriends crying to me and my wife one day when I came down to fix something roughly 10 minutes after getting a text that they had a toilet leaking (Sunday afternoon), and then we talked to her and she told us about her situation. Landlord drove up in a Porsche, didn't fix the backed up septic, told them not to flush more than x times a day, didn't fix the other restroom in a house full of 5 girls. She/her boyfriend asked us if we had another rental that they could live in short term and then the two of them could move into when they got married. It was eye opening for us about 4 years ago, just heartbreaking.

I pay rent on time, keep the place clean, don't disturb my neighbors, and am a good communicator if I notice anything. They take my feedback seriously and immediately try to fix stuff. Everybody wins.

And as a landlord, that's about all I can ever ask for. :) It's that Win/Win relationship. You absolutely can and should run a business the right way and can both provide a quality service/be a ministry to a tenant and make a profit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

And as a landlord, that's about all I can ever ask for. :) It's that Win/Win relationship. You absolutely can and should run a business the right way and can both provide a quality service/be a ministry to a tenant and make a profit.

I appreciate the way you manage your homes.. Landlords get an awful reputation.. often deserved, but there's a reason people have trouble finding good ones- Those tenants usually know and appreciate how nice it is to have someone that gives a damn & don't leave

Edited by adamq
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, adamq said:

If this is tiktok, maybe I have been missing out

The best way to browse Tiktok is to wait for others to let other people do it for you and post the good ones on other socials. Actually browsing the app is a terrible experience. 

• Like 2