2021 Salary Cap floor at $180 million; ceiling still being negotiated

Xenos

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

They are seemingly oblivious to the deteriorating quality of their own product and think people will just keep shoveling the gruel into their mouths into perpetuity.

Well it did take a pandemic for league revenue to drop.  Do we really think the total revenue of the next TV deal will be less then the last one?

Actually, I hope your potential forecast about the NFL is right.  I would expect Goodell to resign after this next TV deal is done.  Hopefully, a new voice will change some of the direction of the sport. 

14 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

They are seemingly oblivious to the deteriorating quality of their own product and think people will just keep shoveling the gruel into their mouths into perpetuity.

24 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Well it did take a pandemic for league revenue to drop.  Do we really think the total revenue of the next TV deal will be less then the last one?

Actually, I hope your potential forecast about the NFL is right.  I would expect Goodell to resign after this next TV deal is done.  Hopefully, a new voice will change some of the direction of the sport. 

I agree the owners don’t care about the quality of product and often act against their own long term interest to serve short term interests (usually greed).  

But this next set of TV deals isn’t going to bring in less money - it’s going to be a significant increase overall after next year’s deals are re-done, for 2 reasons: 

1.   The NFL just demonstrated that no matter what - the show will go on.   TV execs don’t need to worry about losing games and filling air time.   The NFL just showed their product is the safest property to acquire - not just sports but vs. regular TV entertainment programming. 

2.   The DirectTV Sunday ticket package was woefully undervalued with the explosion of online streaming / other non-network platforms.    The NFL probably can sell a streaming option for out-of-market games for a fair bit of coin that’s basically new revenue.  

Now it’s really doubtful networks are doubling the income - that’s insane.  But an overall 20-30 percent increase isn’t difficult to project.   And I’m probably being conservative.   Guess we’ll see by next year.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can see quite a number of players who expected big pay days willing go play for a contender for a year, ball out, and then hit the market in 2022 to get that new money. And the potential of that across the league will be fascinating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Really? I was thinking it'd be back up or near the 198 number in 2022. 

Perhaps... but I think this more a result as the NFL becomes more and more political, not the result of a covid year.  Even without people being able to go to the games, viewership dropped in 2020.

The fans like me, that have been involved in football for over 40 years as a player and coach love the game.  But a lot of people are more casual fans and they don't like be bombarded with the political talking points of the day to watch a football game.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

Even without people being able to go to the games, viewership dropped in 2020.

But it dropped a lot less than the NBA, MLB or other programming. That context is really important here and that's why the networks all signed up again

One of the reasons it dropped is that sitting down to watch football on Sunday was considered a treat, normally you're going to work, taking trips, doing all kinds of non-TV activities. But during the pandemic, watching TV wasn't a treat, its pretty much all you had to do. So that took the shine off of the specialness of Sunday football for many viewers. The other thing that happened during the pandemic is that people watched a lot of commercial-free TV ala Netflix, Hulu and other outlets. So when they sat down to watch the 3 hour commercial fest masquerading as a football game, the difference was startling -  and casual fans are happy to just catch highlights and clips instead of investing all that time in the broadcast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

Perhaps... but I think this more a result as the NFL becomes more and more political, not the result of a covid year.  Even without people being able to go to the games, viewership dropped in 2020.

The fans like me, that have been involved in football for over 40 years as a player and coach love the game.  But a lot of people are more casual fans and they don't like be bombarded with the political talking points of the day to watch a football game.

While I definitely agree, the NFL dramatically cut down on its political messaging early in the season, and they recovered a bit.   Same with NBA and their disastrous playoff ratings.  However, its only a matter of time before they do it again.

I do think NFL ratings will continue to fall though....both because they are alienating fans and also because the quality of the on field product has been diminishing for years and adding a 17th game and extra playoff spot is only going to further water down the quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

But it dropped a lot less than the NBA, MLB or other programming. That context is really important here and that's why the networks all signed up again

One of the reasons it dropped is that sitting down to watch football on Sunday was considered a treat, normally you're going to work, taking trips, doing all kinds of non-TV activities. But during the pandemic, watching TV wasn't a treat, its pretty much all you had to do. So that took the shine off of the specialness of Sunday football for many viewers. The other thing that happened during the pandemic is that people watched a lot of commercial-free TV ala Netflix, Hulu and other outlets. So when they sat down to watch the 3 hour commercial fest masquerading as a football game, the difference was startling -  and casual fans are happy to just catch highlights and clips instead of investing all that time in the broadcast.

Nope, it didn't drop as much as NBA or MLB.  I'm a Colts fan but I live in Chiefs territory and the number of Chiefs fans that quit watching during the season last year and those whom have said they will not watch the NFL any more is in the dozens... and I don't know that many people.  So, if the fans from, arguably, the best team in football and the team that is in great position to dominate the league for the next decade are not watching, the reasons and the issues go much deeper than people didn't like commercials compared to binge watching a show.