Are there any dominant teams in the 2017 season

lancerman

15 hours ago, August4th said:

not right now... its been a odd season so far... feel like anyone can win a game(except Cleveland)

The best thing to happen to San Francisco since Jim Harbaugh left is for Cleveland to be Cleveland the last 3 years. I mean, they went 2-14 last year and are winless this year. I'd love to see the two teams play each other. It would be epic.

Yeah, right now there is no such thing as a dominant team. There are some teams, I think the Chiefs, Patriots, and Falcons who are probably going to win more often than they lose and I wouldn't bet against them week to week, but otherwise, there aren't any. I think it has a lot to do with the dominance of a lot of pass rushers now and the lack of skill on a lot of offensive lines that allow any team to win easier than has been the case in previous years.

16 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, right now there is no such thing as a dominant team. There are some teams, I think the Chiefs, Patriots, and Falcons who are probably going to win more often than they lose and I wouldn't bet against them week to week, but otherwise, there aren't any. I think it has a lot to do with the dominance of a lot of pass rushers now and the lack of skill on a lot of offensive lines that allow any team to win easier than has been the case in previous years.

Salary cap as well. You can't have stacked teams anymore like in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. 

Just now, tonyto36 said:

Well if you have the Steelers/Chiefs as clear cut 1s and 2s, unless you have the Jags over the Patriots or the Patriots losing the division, the Patriots would be #3 and assumedly play the Steelers who are a game behind the Chiefs. 

I disagree.   Sometimes it's injuries.  Sometimes it's matchups.  Sometimes it's because it's a divisional rival.  Sometime's it's the weather. Sometime's it's just a bad day and three balls get tipped into interceptions of the running backs fumble four times.   Unless your standard for dominant is the 2007 Patriots where they could have bad days and still crush teams, you can have a bad loss and still be a great team.  Variance happens to everyone.

Dominant is a vague undefinable term, but I think the Seahawks have had dominant teams and lost to horribly outmatched Rams teams.  There's plenty of examples of teams I'd define as dominant that have awful losses.

To each their own. If your have more than 1 loss at this point in the season you aren't dominant. The Chiefs haven't really been blowing out their opponents in wins and neither have the Eagles for the most part. 

Parity is pretty good this year it would seem.

No. And there is waaaaay too much parity. I don't want it to be like the NBA where we can pencil in the top 2 or 3 teams before the season even starts. But this is ridiculous.

That said it's still relatively early in the season. Sometimes teams don't really start to stand out until a little later on. I could see Philly really start rolling.

2 hours ago, lionslicer said:

I feel like over the passed few seasons we haven't seen any truly dominant teams at the start of the season. It's taken teams a little bit longer to really get everything together and start rolling over teams mid-season and into the playoffs. 

Pats in 2015 went 10-0 before injuries started to bite. Finished at 12-4.

On 10/15/2017 at 10:54 PM, BlaqOptic said:

The NFC is WIDE open... I don't feel like there is a great team in the entire conference especially considering injuries. The AFC is the Chiefs to lose. Honestly, if any team in the AFC wants a chance to make the Super Bowl they need to take care of their business against New England in the regular season allowing them to not get a Top 3 seed and hope they bring it vs KC down the line.

New England's defense will hold them back this year though. They'll win their division but I don't see them being any better than the #2 or #3 seed. The AFC will run through Kansas City.

NFC is totally wide open, especially the North and South.

It'll make for an interesting year!

Archived