Raiders re-sign David Irving

agarcia34

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

To be honest based on his history and talent, I think he has the potential to be hey Darren Waller type steal on the Defense with a good offseason and he stays healthy. It also gives us a little bit of flexibility to get an outside pass rusher like Jalen Phillips or Azeez Ojalari. I personally also wouldn't mind Barmore even with this move.

If he wants to become a top 3 player at his position, I'm all for it.  I really need to buy a D. Waller jersey.

I am somewhat optimistic that Irvin could be one of the biggest key to fixing our huge issue of interior pressure. It's FAR from a sure thing, but there was a stretch in Dallas where he was really dang good. I like his potential in Bradley's scheme as well. And the best part is that he won't keep us from signing or drafting anyone. He's a very good low risk, high reward type. He will be one of the guys I am keeping my eyes on the most next training camp. He could make a big impact for us at 3T and on the edge. Bit of a long shot obviously, but I think this past year getting back in shape and into the game could lead to him getting back to close to his form from a couple years ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Could he be the Darren Waller of the DL? An after thought with All-Pro level talent that finally puts it all together in the right situation. Lets hope so.

I wonder what really played into taking just a one year deal.  It's clearly a prove it deal.  I think Irving and the team are both hoping he plays at a very high level so that he can end up getting a long term contract that pays a lot more.  Hopefully it happens.  I would love to have a player for 2-3M getting us double digit sacks lol.

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I wonder what really played into taking just a one year deal.  It's clearly a prove it deal.  I think Irving and the team are both hoping he plays at a very high level so that he can end up getting a long term contract that pays a lot more.  Hopefully it happens.  I would love to have a player for 2-3M getting us double digit sacks lol.

Yeah that's one thing that gives me hope that he's actually committed and not just here for. a quick pay day like @NCOUGHMAN questioned. His play this season will determine how much he is paid because it's an incentive heavy deal and the fact that it's a one year deal also shows that he believes he will play well enough to secure the bag with a strong year. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah that's one thing that gives me hope that he's actually committed and not just here for. a quick pay day like @NCOUGHMAN questioned. His play this season will determine how much he is paid because it's an incentive heavy deal and the fact that it's a one year deal also shows that he believes he will play well enough to secure the bag with a strong year. 

Exactly.  I hope he balls out like L. Williams did and gets us double digit sacks.  I'd be more than happy to sign him long term if he can produce like that.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:55 AM, drfrey13 said:

My offseason targets were to re-sign Irving and get another big 5T/3T hybrid in Roy Robertson-Harris.  Irving is more boom or bust but both would be good low cost signings.  Nice that we brought back Irving.  He really just needs some time to get back in shape.  May never reach his peak from his Cowboy days but can still become a solid contributor.  Good luck sir.

How long have I been complaining downright bTc’ing about the need to bring length to the DL?

I’ll take as much length as we can get for the 5T to 3T spots.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

How long have I been complaining downright bTc’ing about the need to bring length to the DL?

I’ll take as much length as we can get for the 5T to 3T spots.

RRH has almost the same frame as Ferrell but 15lbs heavier.  Irving on the other hand is Calais Campbell type big.  Guy has over 37 in arms and just under 88 in wingspan at 6'7".  He also had a 38 in vert at 273 lbs.  Irving is JJ Watt level athletic freak.  Watt is quicker and stronger though.

As most guys have said I don't really see a downside to this signing, Irving was for a couple years a really impactful player on the Dallas DL. Seems like he is very grateful to the Raiders for taking a chance on him and hopefully that results in a motivated and enthusiastic player.

We haven't over committed and protected ourselves with the incentive laden deal and can try and resign him if he shows anything. Irving doesn't prevent us from acquiring other options if they are viable in FA and the draft but he does offer a potentially high reward as a disruptive and rotational player. I don't think we'll see him as a starter but as a role player that could be beneficial to both him and us. He also is a very different type of athlete to the guys we have in Hurst, Key, Ferrell and Crosby in that he brings massive length and reach. 

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Could he be the Darren Waller of the DL? An after thought with All-Pro level talent that finally puts it all together in the right situation. Lets hope so.

A couple of years ago around this time we were all saying “A guy for the practice squad who’s never started a game just got replace our best receiving target(Jared cook)? We have to keep in mind that...

1. 1. This guy was in an ascending Player a few years ago.

2. He didn’t get pushed out of the league because he couldn’t play. He retired because he couldn’t stop getting suspended for marijuana which is no longer a factor.

3. He turns 28 about a month before the season starts so age isn’t a factor

4. he wasn’t in shape last year or didn’t have an off-season (which is probably why he got hurt) 

5. His talent potential as an interior rusher exceeds any player we would be able to draft or sign(besides Leonard Williams who’s going to command 18-20 mil a year

And to be clear I said he had the potential to be the type of come up that Darren waller wise not that he for sure would. But for the cheap price that we got him for, I’m more than willing to find out.

16 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

A couple of years ago around this time we were all saying “A guy for the practice squad who’s never started a game just got replace our best receiving target(Jared cook)? We have to keep in mind that...

1. 1. This guy was in an ascending Player a few years ago.

2. He didn’t get pushed out of the league because he couldn’t play. He retired because he couldn’t stop getting suspended for marijuana which is no longer a factor.

3. He turns 28 about a month before the season starts so age isn’t a factor

4. he wasn’t in shape last year or didn’t have an off-season (which is probably why he got hurt) 

5. His talent potential as an interior rusher exceeds any player we would be able to draft or sign(besides Leonard Williams who’s going to command 18-20 mil a year

And to be clear I said he had the potential to be the type of come up that Darren waller wise not that he for sure would. But for the cheap price that we got him for, I’m more than willing to find out.

I like the re-signing of Irving hopefully he can reproduce his Cowboys form but the drugs issue will always be a factor with him, no getting away from that.