Draft Talk

onejayhawk

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

No, it's not, especially at WR. 40" would be excellent. This is acceptable to decent, but not a plus. If he were a 6'6", 245# LB it would be different. 

J

Where do you come up with that? And now it's acceptable to decent, thought it was "not good"?

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Where do you come up with that? And now it's acceptable to decent, thought it was "not good"?

Not good means not an asset. It does not mean bad, or even mediocre. In this case 36" is probably the line. 35.5" or less gets a caution flag. 37" is a bit better than average, but not a lot better. 

Look up combine stats from previous years. In 2020, 37 inch vertical was not in the top 40. Peoples-Jones was best at 44.5", Ruggs was 42". Aiyuck was 40". Our own L'Jarius Sneed was 41". 40" roughly equates to 4.4 seconds in the 40, with 14 players vs 12. That's why I set it as the standard of excellence. 46 players did 37" or better, 30 more did 36" or 36.5". Restricted to WR, in 2020 37" would be tied for 15th of 46, with 11 more at 36" and 36.5", with an average of 36.14". 

5 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Average for a WR is 35.84 regardless of height

Cole Kmet is a comp. He's 6ft6 and jumped a 37. But a TE and 262

Height is an asset in the vertical jump. Mass/height ratio has a lot to do with it as well, which is why Kmet is top 50 talent. 

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Not good means not an asset. It does not mean bad, or even mediocre. In this case 36" is probably the line. 35.5" or less gets a caution flag. 37" is a bit better than average, but not a lot better. 

Look up combine stats from previous years. In 2020, 37 inch vertical was not in the top 40. Peoples-Jones was best at 44.5", Ruggs was 42". Aiyuck was 40". Our own L'Jarius Sneed was 41". 40" roughly equates to 4.4 seconds in the 40, with 14 players vs 12. That's why I set it as the standard of excellence. 46 players did 37" or better, 30 more did 36" or 36.5". Restricted to WR, in 2020 37" would be tied for 15th of 46, with 11 more at 36" and 36.5", with an average of 36.14". 

Height is an asset in the vertical jump. Mass/height ratio has a lot to do with it as well, which is why Kmet is top 50 talent. 

J

Wtf lol "not good doesn't mean bad or mediocre", you can't change the definition of words. I'm not trying to argue but that paragraph was literally you pulling something out of your hind end.

All those WRs you listed are not 6'6" and 215 lbs. Add the 6'6" to a 37" vertical and that's pretty high in the air. Definitely better than "not good".

4 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Wtf lol "not good doesn't mean bad or mediocre", you can't change the definition of words. I'm not trying to argue but that paragraph was literally you pulling something out of your hind end.

All those WRs you listed are not 6'6" and 215 lbs. Add the 6'6" to a 37" vertical and that's pretty high in the air. Definitely better than "not good".

Again, no.

You seem to be under the impression that it is harder for tall players to do well in the vertical jump. It isn't. In fact height is an advantage in this drill. 37" is a bit above average, but not much. It's not bad, but it's also not particularly good. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Again, no.

You seem to be under the impression that it is harder for tall players to do well in the vertical jump. It isn't. In fact height is an advantage in this drill. 37" is a bit above average, but not much. It's not bad, but it's also not particularly good. 

J

👍

I don’t think height helps with vertical. 

37 is pretty average.   It doesn’t disappoint, but always doesn’t make me think wow.     Nothing about Vasher really stands out aside from his height,   I don’t think he has the flexibility to play in our offense.    It’s pretty rare you get a tall guy that is able to run the routes Andy requires,  well at least. 

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

J

Yes, and the WRs in 2020 that jumped 37 are mosty around 6ft or under. So I agree with you in that 37 isn't good enough

9 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t think height helps with vertical. 

37 is pretty average.   It doesn’t disappoint, but always doesn’t make me think wow.     Nothing about Vasher really stands out aside from his height,   I don’t think he has the flexibility to play in our offense.    It’s pretty rare you get a tall guy that is able to run the routes Andy requires,  well at least. 

Weight usually offsets the advantage, which is why Kmet was so impressive, but Vasher is skinny. Route running is a completely separate issue.

In this vein, the team has been retooling an UDFA TE for two years now. His name is Jody Fortson from Valdosta St. He was 6'6", 230# two years ago, but there are no workout numbers available. Last training camp he looked good, but did not make the roster. Along with half a dozen other futures contract players, he is why I think the Chiefs are not planning on a premium pick at WR. 

4 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Yes, and the WRs in 2020 that jumped 37 are mosty around 6ft or under. So I agree with you in that 37 isn't good enough

Exactly. 37" is a checkmark, neither good nor bad. The rest of his physical makeup and game skills are the key. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk