Draft Talk

onejayhawk

DL Payton Turner Houston

Height 6'6
Weight 270
Arms 35"
Hands
10.25”
At Senior Bowl, Turner's arms were longest recorded since 1999.

He can bulk for for inside or work from the edge. Some project him in the 2nd (PFF, NFL) others grade him 3-5.
I like the guy. Spags-type DE. Prob needs a year or two so he'd be a situational guy early but he has pass rush moves and explosiveness. Someone like Spags could help tremendously.

"I wanted to keep him a secret after I saw him last year and that didn't happen. He's going to become a force." -- Scouting director for AFC team

I hope it was a KC scout.
Edited by odendin

2 hours ago, warsawian said:

Who ya'll like better?  Zaven Collins or Nick Bolton? 

I see Collins as a SAM and Bolton as a MIKE. I like Collins versatility with the projection to being able to be used as an EDGE, stunt blitzer, and he is good at zone coverage - especially for his size. Bolton is your attacking middle linebacker that makes an impact as a run defender, but not necessarily someone you want handling much in the way of pass coverage assignments.

14 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I see Collins as a SAM and Bolton as a MIKE. I like Collins versatility with the projection to being able to be used as an EDGE, stunt blitzer, and he is good at zone coverage - especially for his size. Bolton is your attacking middle linebacker that makes an impact as a run defender, but not necessarily someone you want handling much in the way of pass coverage assignments.

With us a much as we play in sub packages, I think Collins would have the bigger impact on our team.

43 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

With us a much as we play in sub packages, I think Collins would have the bigger impact on our team.

I agree. The versatility as a blitzer along with very solid zone coverage ability for his size is a definite plus. IMO he is a true chess piece for the defense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Yeah, I can't decide.  I like both a lot, I love the way Bolton attacks the LOS and how aggressive he is.  I don't think he lacks in pass coverage or blitzing, he is above average at both.  His instinctual play reminds me of Tyrann Mathieu but at LB. 

Zaven Collins obviously has more potential with his size and speed aspect and looks like he could play multiple positions across the defense.  I could see him as a TJ Watt type, he just lacks that aggressive streak I prefer. 

18 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t like Browning or Bolton all the much for the Chiefs,   Mainly because they’re similar players to Willie Gay.   I’d rather get someone to compliment his play style 

Was it you that said Willie Gay is a downhill LB and not much in pass coverage? 

From what I remember Willie Gay is actually a coverage LB and that has been his strength in both college and the NFL.  Pretty sure that's how PFF graded him in college. 

Edit: Looks like he was a coverage LB in college and now in the pros he is a run stopper? lol

Edited by warsawian

27 minutes ago, warsawian said:

From what I remember Willie Gay is actually a coverage LB and that has been his strength in both college and the NFL.  Pretty sure that's how PFF graded him in college. 

Edit: Looks like he was a coverage LB in college and now in the pros he is a run stopper? lol

Probably.    Gay is just super underdeveloped as a LB,  mainly from lack of reps.   I think he's got plenty of skills to be a coverage Linebacker,    but he has a super aggressive mindset.   Right now,  he's a see ball/hit ball linebacker.    The play recognition and diagnosing is way behind,  obviously understandable from his lack of game reps.    

Than again maybe i'm talking out my butt,,,,   as McGrone is basically the MLB version of Gay,   and I'm a huge fan of his.

1 hour ago, warsawian said:

33 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Probably.    Gay is just super underdeveloped as a LB,  mainly from lack of reps.   I think he's got plenty of skills to be a coverage Linebacker,    but he has a super aggressive mindset.   Right now,  he's a see ball/hit ball linebacker.    The play recognition and diagnosing is way behind,  obviously understandable from his lack of game reps.    

Than again maybe i'm talking out my butt,,,,   as McGrone is basically the MLB version of Gay,   and I'm a huge fan of his.

Gay rated well for range and as a tackler. He rated as good potential for both man and zone coverage, but lacked experience. As Samsel notes, was graded as hyper-aggressive, to the point of it being a red flag. Structure, diagnostics, maintaining containment are not skills from college.

With the re-signing of Remmers, and without the signing of Kpassagnon, it appears the first priority is DE. Assuming we stay at #1 who are your DE types in the #20 to #50 range, in order. This is TDN's 

Rousseau
Tryon
Ossai
Oweh

If Rousseau is there, I take him unless AVT is also on board. Of the others, I lean Oweh. There is also a lot of underdeveloped talent in the round three and four. 

J

22 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

With the re-signing of Remmers, and without the signing of Kpassagnon, it appears the first priority is DE. Assuming we stay at #1 who are your DE types in the #20 to #50 range, in order. This is TDN's 

Rousseau
Tryon
Ossai
Oweh

If Rousseau is there, I take him unless AVT is also on board. Of the others, I lean Oweh. There is also a lot of underdeveloped talent in the round three and four. 

J

I still think our board is LT, WR, and DE in that order.  But I can definitely see us going DE at 31, especially with the emphasis Spags defense has put on rushing the passer with the front four in the past. 

I would rank em: 

1. Rousseau - He's so hard to grade, only one full season and his sacks aren't that impressive and appear to be a lot of coverage sacks.  But he looks like a man among boys out there. 

2. Oweh 

3. Ossai

4. Tyron

Another collection of expert first picks. There is the usual lack of understanding, though a couple would be nice. 

Player & Position

School

Source

OT Dillon Radunz NDSU Luke Easterling – Draft Wire
LB Zaven Collins Tulsa Mark Schofield – Touchdown Wire
OT Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame Albert Breer – Sports Illustrated
OT Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State Bucky Brooks – NFL.com
OT Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State Chad Reuter – NFL.com
CB Ifeatu Melifonwu Syracuse Chris Trapasso – CBS Sports
OT Samuel Cosmi Texas Michael Renner – Pro Football Focus