Treading Lightly or Treading Well

The Gnat

Now that Treadwell has had a solid game, is there hope for him?

Obviously still the third option a lot of the time at WR, especially when Diggs comes back, but his hands are good and we got to see that on display yesterday. Is it simply a confidence thing with Keenum and him at this point?

I think it’s primarily been a trust/chemistry thing with the QBs, but a big aspect has also been that Keenum is rarely moving beyond his second read. And with a Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph also getting open, Treadwell was more often than not the #3/4 read. 

But there was definitely a different vibe surrounding Treadwell during the Packers game, and it seemed to start after the huge block. Never underestimate what confidence can do for a guy. 

It was also interesting listening to Ben Leber talk about how his teammates responded to Treadwell during the game and in the lockerroom afterwards. It was really the first time he had seen players gravitate towards Treadwell. 

He looked good yesterday. That block was a thing of beauty. Still don't know how that was called a penalty. 

All three catches showcased high-level ability. The routes were good and his hands were on full display. Let's hope this is just the beginning. 

Laquon Treadwell saw the spiral, leapt in the air, reached for the pass and felt the pigskin on the tips of his fingers. As he pulled the ball down and tucked it against his body amid two Packers defenders, the crowd at U.S. Bank Stadium roared. An instant replay on the video boards triggered an even more deafening response in a 23-10 Vikings win on Sunday.

Thielen: “It was a huge part of the game, and it was an unbelievable catch. I mean, the corners were talking to me after that, saying how amazing of a catch it was. When you have the other team talking about how good of a catch it is, that’s pretty impressive.”

Keenum: “I didn’t see the catch. I was on the ground. You will have to tell me about it. I will watch it on film. From what the crowd sounded like, it sounded like it was pretty impressive. He makes a lot of plays at practice, he’s been doing that for a long time. He’s a guy that is developing really well. I like throwing him the football – it was good to see him get hot tonight.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Laquon-Treadwell-Makes-1-Handed-Catch-in-Big-Day-Against-Packers/f1765bca-29db-4cd9-b8a5-4a8a3525d6f2?sf122434008=1

Zimmer: “The thing is with Laquon, he wants to overdo things all of the time. We might leave, and he might come out here and run routes for an hour tonight, so that’s what we have to get him to understand. It’s a long season, do your work, but he constantly is talking about, ‘I need to get better. I need to get better.’ Whatever it is, he’s always trying to do more, sometimes to a fault.That’s the good part about him. He wants to get better and continue to improve. I think he’s improving, he’s catching the ball good. His route depths are much better.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Newman-Played-Pivotal-Role-in-Bridgewaters-Recovery/b499bd68-a205-4550-b12a-050d75e99f44?sf123471008=1

19 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Zimmer: “The thing is with Laquon, he wants to overdo things all of the time. We might leave, and he might come out here and run routes for an hour tonight, so that’s what we have to get him to understand. It’s a long season, do your work, but he constantly is talking about, ‘I need to get better. I need to get better.’ Whatever it is, he’s always trying to do more, sometimes to a fault.That’s the good part about him. He wants to get better and continue to improve. I think he’s improving, he’s catching the ball good. His route depths are much better.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Newman-Played-Pivotal-Role-in-Bridgewaters-Recovery/b499bd68-a205-4550-b12a-050d75e99f44?sf123471008=1

As flaws go, that's not a bad one to have if you're a football player. Based on Zim's comment here, I'm optimistic that Treadwell will be a bigger part of the game plan soon.

Archived