Trent Brown to be traded to NE

oakdb36

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Good teams typically don't spend big in free agency. They draft well and then use their cap space to resign their own players. 

hmm I could be wrong here, but, I feel like youve been talking up TB saved the Bucs by getting all the FAs to sign there no?

Kind of defeats what you just posted no?

• Like 1

I think some people are over estimating the negative impact of rebuilding the  OL. 

TB barely played last year.  Even if he came back He’d likely get “hurt” immediately.  Incognito still might come back and didn’t play last year basically.  The plan always was to possibly replace him this year.  Jackson is the only real unexpected loss.  

We survived last year with Miller, Hudson, and Jackson.  Jackson can be replaced easily. 

We’ll probably resign at least one of Incognito and/or Good plus we have Simpson.  That means we only need to fill RT and maybe RG.  Sign a veteran and draft a player in the first 2-3 rounds. 

I actually think the OL could actually be better then It was last year.  I think we should Draft a RT like Eichenberg, Leatherwood, or Radunz in round 2 or draft Spencer Brown in round 3 and sign a Stop gap RT veteran.

change was coming eventually.  We had some aging players, some very highly paid players who weren’t meeting or exceeding their contracts, plus Millers due for a big new deal and having even more invested in the OL wasn’t possible.

we all thought moving on from osmele meant worse protection and then incognito played way better.  Their probably will be bumps in the road early but if we draft well and sign good players we could actually have a better OL.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

hmm I could be wrong here, but, I feel like youve been talking up TB saved the Bucs by getting all the FAs to sign there no?

Kind of defeats what you just posted no?

Brady to Tampa Bay and the Manning to the Broncos are two of the only recent cases that a team has spent big in free agency and won a Super Bowl. Those two teams also already had good defenses that featured key pieces they drafted and were able to sign arguably the best two quarterbacks in NFL history in free agency. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think some people are over estimating the negative impact of rebuilding the  OL. 

TB barely played last year.  Even if he came back He’d likely get “hurt” immediately.  Incognito still might come back and didn’t play last year basically.  The plan always was to possibly replace him this year.  Jackson is the only real unexpected loss.  

We survived last year with Miller, Hudson, and Jackson.  Jackson can be replaced easily. 

We’ll probably resign at least one of Incognito and/or Good plus we have Simpson.  That means we only need to fill RT and maybe RG.  Sign a veteran and draft a player in the first 2-3 rounds. 

I actually think the OL could actually be better then It was last year.  I think we should Draft a RT like Eichenberg, Leatherwood, or Radunz in round 2 or draft Spencer Brown in round 3 and sign a Stop gap RT veteran.

change was coming eventually.  We had some aging players, some very highly paid players who weren’t meeting or exceeding their contracts, plus Millers due for a big new deal and having even more invested in the OL wasn’t possible.

we all thought moving on from osmele meant worse protection and then incognito played way better.  Their probably will be bumps in the road early but if we draft well and sign good players we could actually have a better OL.

good post, also, I expect us to target more run blockers than pass protectors at this point. 
I / We know Carr needs a solid Oline, but with Hudson and Miller, we have to pass protectors at arguably the 2 most important spots. 

Gruden wants to be a run first team, and our run blocking was pretty terrible last year.
I think our pass protection takes a step back, but run O gets better. 

19 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Not really. They were likely going to release him anyways. It turned out to be a bad signing but they didn't get "fleeced" in this trade.

Brown will play at an All-Pro level for the Patriots with an $11M cap hit and we got a future 5th back. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Brown will play at an All-Pro level for the Patriots with an $11M cap hit and we got a future 5th back. 

Better than getting nothing back though? He was going to get cut man, would you rather we outright release him? Or would you rather we keep his lazy injury prone *** when he quite obviously didn't want to be here, just so he can't go to a different team to produce? 

The situation was at a breaking point and it boils down to getting something > getting nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Better than getting nothing back though? He was going to get cut man, would you rather we outright release him? Or would you rather we keep his lazy injury prone *** when he quite obviously didn't want to be here, just so he can't go to a different team to produce? 

The situation was at a breaking point and it boils down to getting something > getting nothing.

True but it also shows how big of a dumpster fire this thing is becoming under Grudock. All-Pro level guys are taking pay cuts and publicly celebrating to get away from this franchise. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Brady to Tampa Bay and the Manning to the Broncos are two of the only recent cases that a team has spent big in free agency and won a Super Bowl. Those two teams also already had good defenses that featured key pieces they drafted and were able to sign arguably the best two quarterbacks in NFL history in free agency. 

haha yea for sure. when a HOFer QB hits the FA market it def changes the game a little. 
I do think KC had a good FA prior to their SB tho, Honey badger and breeland , but again while they were names KC waited and got them for the right price. 

GB found their pass rush in FA though, and clearly they didnt win, but it made them way better.
Jax went all in one year, and nailed FA but didnt have a qb. 

FA like the draft is all about just hitting. Dont reach / overpay . Take players that will work in your system. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

True but it also shows how big of a dumpster fire this thing is becoming under Grudock. All-Pro level guys are taking pay cuts and publicly celebrating to get away from this franchise. 

It sucks but nothing new there. We've been a dumpster fire for 20 years. This isn't the first or last time we've seen this happen unfortunately.

45 minutes ago, true2form said:

Lots of teams go big in free agency and then are completely different and torn apart in a couple years.  We just don't pay as close attention to their issues.

Albert Haynesworth, Asomugha to the Eagles, Demarco Murray, Brock Osweiler to the Texans, Bell to the Jets, and many more. We just focus solely on us sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I do think KC had a good FA prior to their SB tho, Honey badger and breeland , but again while they were names KC waited and got them for the right price. 

KC also drafted Mahomes, Hill, Hardman, Kelce, Fisher, Jones, the list goes on. 

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Albert Haynesworth, Asomugha to the Eagles, Demarco Murray, Brock Osweiler to the Texans, Bell to the Jets, and many more. We just focus solely on us sometimes. 

And other than the Eagles, all of those teams, like us, are in horrible positions. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It sucks but nothing new there. We've been a dumpster fire for 20 years. This isn't the first or last time we've seen this happen unfortunately.

Just sucks because things were looking up. We hired Gruden to a $100M contract, hired Mayock to be the GM, got the new $2B stadium and had more draft capital and cap space than any team in the league and completely dropped the ball.