Trent Brown to be traded to NE

oakdb36

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm still confused that they planned to keep and have him compete in camp. That was the plan. Then NE was like.... let's swap picks and THAT was their tipping point? That's all it took for them to change course?

Need to see the plan in totality, but rebuilding the Oline seems risky. They don't always gel right away and we're dealing with a QB who doesn't like pressure. Remember 2018? 

im sure that was just to keep any kind of leverage we had. We were up against the wall. Do we keep a disgruntled high priced player who is a bad fit in the locker, or do we cut our losses and take what we can get? With cap space being at a premium we couldnt afford that $14m gamble. 

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

im sure that was just to keep any kind of leverage we had. We were up against the wall. Do we keep a disgruntled high priced player who is a bad fit in the locker, or do we cut our losses and take what we can get? With cap space being at a premium we couldnt afford that $14m gamble. 

Yeah. They never planned on keeping him. Even Mayock said that they were evaluating what they would do with him. You never hear GMs say things like that if they aren’t getting rid

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm still confused that they planned to keep and have him compete in camp. That was the plan. Then NE was like.... let's swap picks and THAT was their tipping point? That's all it took for them to change course?

Need to see the plan in totality, but rebuilding the Oline seems risky. They don't always gel right away and we're dealing with a QB who doesn't like pressure. Remember 2018? 

Mayock said that the “jury’s out” on whether Brown would be back after playing 10 or more snaps in 14 of his first 32 games as a member of the team.

That was 5 days ago. Pretty clearly, the discussion was do we give that guy another chance or not. Turns out they chose to move on. Quite obviously they weren't blown away by a 5th in 2022...

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And we'll probably continue to make weird personnel moves, have a high roster turnover rate, and remain a bad to middle of the pack team as long as Gruden is in control of the team. 

From the time we signed him I have said his ego will get in the way of his success because of him winning a SB with Dungy's defense so now he only wants success if it comes from his offense and his guys.  I am surprised Carr has lasted this long but my thinking is that he is the teacher's (Gruden) pet.  That is the nicest way I can put it.  If Gruden leaves Carr will be the next coaches shadow.

14 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

That was 5 days ago. Pretty clearly, the discussion was do we give that guy another chance or not. Turns out they chose to move on. Quite obviously they weren't blown away by a 5th in 2022...

I think they were bluffing and a 5th was the best offer.  I was not happy when I saw a 5th, not because I wanted to keep Brown, but when I saw it was in 2022 it is pretty worthless.  I want nothing to do with Isaiah Wilson but I would take a chance on him over a future 5th.  At worst you have a talented selfish jerk that is making less than a backup.  Guy is going to make $5 over the next three years.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Summed up perfectly. Gruden is a joke. Bill just over in NE laughing at this one.

Just what I thought. Another finesse fleece job by Bill B. Whenever the Patriots are down they just look for the suckers in the NFL to get better. They got a pro bowl caliber tackle for basically nothing but a 5th round pick. We got cap space and will be hard pressed to get a talent like that in return.

It's easy to bury Trent Brown for being a lazy, unmotivated player.

The blame should be placed on a front office who saw who he was with the 49ers, how quickly they moved on and made him the highest paid OT in the league. We all knew what kind of player he was. Money wasn't going to fix him.

• Like 1

Seems like they were fine with keeping Brown, but also fine with trading him for what they could get. Trade compensation was never gonna be good no matter what. Think the Raiders are just happy to get something in return for a guy that didn't want to be there and maybe was one of those guys that Nelly was talking about when they called some of his teammates selfish. Are you better on the field right now without Trent no, but could very well help the locker room out a lot by him not being there. 

I also don't get most of the fan base. They wanted him gone and if they would have just released him it would have be cool and everyone would be happy, but since they traded him and didn't get a pick back that they think that is worthy there is an issue now. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

This. Also, if we got "fleeced" why didnt anyone trade a bit more for him? Yeah, because there is no market for him

Thank you!!!!

who else besides NE who knows him and thinks they can get his highest level of production and availability would pay 14M... or 11M?I don’t think he restructures for most other teams.... for a 420-440 Lb tub of lard RT that’s had under 30-35 high level games.  

I don’t believe the reports and didn’t when they came out that said “we’ll trade him if we can get something, cut won’t cut him if we can’t trade him for something”.  They think 7th for 5th NEXT year pick Swap.:. Equivalent to a high 2021 6th is what convinced us to move on?  If not for this low draft pick we’d happily pay him 2nd highest RT In the league money?  Pleeeeease.  If we couldn’t get something he was cut!  We might keep Jalen Richard if we can’t trade him.... but TB was gone one way or another.  You don’t hold on to a cancerous mostly unavailable on game day player over a late round pick Swap!

8 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

good post, also, I expect us to target more run blockers than pass protectors at this point. 
I / We know Carr needs a solid Oline, but with Hudson and Miller, we have to pass protectors at arguably the 2 most important spots. 

Gruden wants to be a run first team, and our run blocking was pretty terrible last year.
I think our pass protection takes a step back, but run O gets better. 

I agree... albeit I think we’ll spend a 2nd round pick or decent amount of money on a RT.... I think Gruden and Cable value OT pass blocking especially with these fast WRs like Ruggs And hopefully Agholor comes back.... you need protection from tackles to throw deep.

48 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Seems like they were fine with keeping Brown, but also fine with trading him for what they could get. Trade compensation was never gonna be good no matter what. Think the Raiders are just happy to get something in return for a guy that didn't want to be there and maybe was one of those guys that Nelly was talking about when they called some of his teammates selfish. Are you better on the field right now without Trent no, but could very well help the locker room out a lot by him not being there. 

I also don't get most of the fan base. They wanted him gone and if they would have just released him it would have be cool and everyone would be happy, but since they traded him and didn't get a pick back that they think that is worthy there is an issue now. 

I think we were absolutely cutting TB If we couldn’t trade him.  That late round, NEXT year pick swap didn’t convince us one way or the other.  You don’t decide to keep or move on from a 14M/yr player over a late round pick next year.   That’s my opinion at least. I respect yours, just disagree.  

I just envision Mayock saying “Well Bill.... I was going to keep Trent but make me An offer I can’t refuse”

”Next year 5 for 6? Hmmmm let me talk to Jon.... call you right back”

”Hey.... 5 for 7 next year....for TB and he’s yours and I’ll find a new RT in round 2 of the draft or in FA!”

The concept that though process existed is laughable.  Albeit.... we definitely thought long and hard about keeping him or trading/cutting him.... but once you pick up the phone it’s cus you’ve moved on one way or another. We took literally whatever we could get from probably the only team That he’d take less for or would pay him 14M.

Edited by jimkelly02

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think we were absolutely cutting TB If we couldn’t trade him.  That late round, NEXT year pick swap didn’t convince us one way or the other.  You don’t decide to keep or move on from a 14M/yr player over a late round pick next year.   That’s my opinion at least. I respect yours, just disagree.  

This runs contrary to every report coming out, but sure. 

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This runs contrary to every report coming out, but sure. 

Hence why I say the reports were wrong or False rumors..... I don’t buy a next year, late round pick swap convinced us to Move on.... at all. Not one bit.