Trent Brown to be traded to NE

oakdb36

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Finding impact defensive players in free agency is hard because almost all of the top guys have already been tagged. And I'm not too confident in our front office's ability to identify talent in the draft. 

There are plenty of good players on the market that can help us win now. Will we pick the right combo of them is the real question.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

There are plenty of good players on the market that can help us win now. Will we pick the right combo of them is the real question.

There definitely are, it'll be interesting to see how we attack free agency this year. Hopefully we've learned from the mistakes we've made over the last two off-seasons. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, G said:

Yes, but with how it's all gone down I really don't want him in our organization. Not a 'cancer' but too influential and we've got enough of that with Chucky being in control of EVERYTHING one way or another. 

I don't have any issue with Watson wanting out of Houston. The Texans had a legitimate Super Bowl window a couple of years ago with a ton of draft capital and cap space. But McNair gave BOB way too much control and he gutted the roster of pretty much all of their talent and traded away all of their draft capital. 

They have Jack Easterby running the team who even BB has called out as a guy that has no business making personnel decisions for an NFL franchise. The team has done nothing to build around him, made questionable hires, and lied to him about letting him be involved in their GM/HC search. 

Even other Houston players have said they understand why Watson wants out and support his decision. 

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The retool is 3-4 players on defense, and possibly 1-2 new OL (at most). Very doable in an offseason.

The issue I see is the roster is weaker than that. 3-4 players on defense and 1-2 on the Oline is the bare minimum to field an adequate roster. 

To be a playoff team, they need to find better starting talent overall. And they need to find some game changing talent at all 3 levels on defense.

I don't trust a defense with Abram playing majority snaps in the secondary. And the Oline attrition will not be an easy fix imo,

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

And it could easily be turned around with a few impact additions and some 2nd/3rd year growth from young players.

There was talent at all 3 levels, just glaring holes at DT, FS, rotational edge, and god awful scheme.

I'm bearish on this. A few Impact additions, sure. But that's been the case for years and they've struggled both FA and the draft to add them. And the true impact players don't make it to FA.

I also can't identify 'talent' at all 3 levels on the current roster. Dline can't rush the passer, need 2-3 pieces there. The LBs suck. Littleton is overrated because of what everyone thinks he can be. Kwait is just a guy. They need a true gamer in Bradley's system who can run and cover (Owusu-koramoah?) Secondary is young, Mullen has a shot. Abram can't cover and will have his role reduced in time. FS is paramount to shrinking Abram's exposure in coverage. Arnette, I'll give a mulligan, he should not have been starting with his injuries and he seams tough. Bradley ran nickel 62% of the time with the Chargers, so they will need a quality nickel. Amik has to learn how to play inside, he's not ready. 

To 'turn around' this defense. They will need to have some Agoholor-esque signings in FA on the Dline. They will need hit on a player at 17 and need exponential growth from young players who have shown little promise thus far in their careers. 

To me, this will be a bottom third of the league defense, improved but still a ways off from being enough to compete in December. 

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The Raiders need role players on defense. With a FS, DT and a DE this defense should be around 20th in the NFL. I really liked Muse coming out of college so I expect him to be the starting OLB.

12 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The Raiders need role players on defense. With a FS, DT and a DE this defense should be around 20th in the NFL. I really liked Muse coming out of college so I expect him to be the starting OLB.

Prepare to be disappointed. They are not making that big a jump with no identifiable star talent on the roster. 

The right FS, DT and DE would bring them from bottom 3 in the league to bottom 3rd at best 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Prepare to be disappointed. They are not making that big a jump with no identifiable star talent on the roster. 

The right FS, DT and DE would bring them from bottom 3 in the league to bottom 3rd at best 

I don't see it that way all we need is average starters. The play at those positions was way below normal for the NFL. The Raiders defense will never be a top unit because they play KC and LAC twice a year.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don't see it that way all we need is average starters. The play at those positions was way below normal for the NFL. The Raiders defense will never be a top unit because they play KC and LAC twice a year.

Problem is they are still well below average in a lot of spots across the defense. Most the defensive roster consists of C to C- level starters. 

Currently, there are no A players. Player who impact the game with turnovers, sacks and leadership. 

I can't identify any B level players currently which are your above average role playing types outside Kwaitkowski. 

Otherwise the top defensive players are Littleton, Ferrell, Crosby, Mullen. C+ types who could elevate to a B with coaching/scheme. 

This defense will never be better than 24 - 27 range until they can inject some higher end talent in all 3 levels. 

Mayock said as much, let's see how he aims to fix it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Problem is they are still well below average in a lot of spots across the defense. Most the defensive roster consists of C to C- level starters. 

Currently, there are no A players. Player who impact the game with turnovers, sacks and leadership. 

I can't identify any B level players currently which are your above average role playing types outside Kwaitkowski. 

Otherwise the top defensive players are Littleton, Ferrell, Crosby, Mullen. C+ types who could elevate to a B with coaching/scheme. 

This defense will never be better than 24 - 27 range until they can inject some higher end talent in all 3 levels. 

Mayock said as much, let's see how he aims to fix it. 

obviously way easier said then done, but I agree with overall point. 
IFFFFF we hit on a young player in the draft or maybe FA. I think it could be noticable. 
I think one impact player on Dline, makes entire D better. 
One impact player in DBs, is probably pretty noticable as well. 

Problem is finding that player, If we bring in a couple solid pieces, it will help, but we are still to weak at other places.
one true impact player, could solve tons of problems. 
but, doubtful at this point. 
Like while yes Ferrell and Crosby are maybe C+/B type players as a 1-2 combo DE, if you add a legit DE in there, and now max is your third rush and Ferrell is singled. Our entire unit just got majorily upgraded. 
but again, big if haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

All we need to do to have an average defense is to acquire a legit ball hawk FS, a super disruptive 3T, a disruptive edge pass rusher, and another quality starting level LB. In a single offseason, seems easy enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...