The NFL Has a Star Power Problem

MKnight82

4 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Terrible officiating that the league does virtually nothing to radically change

It's definitely inconsistent and skewed towards offense; not only DB play but holding calls (or the lack thereof) in the trenches as well.

declining quality on the field due to shortened practice

I'm with ya

politicization of the league

100% agree

5 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

lack of emphasis on football in the NFLs media

You mean Xs and Os instead of feel-good stories and too much coverage of 'heros / villains'? Agreed.

6 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

total breakdown of law and order in the NFL under Goodell, and a near universally hated commisioner. 

Meh, he's just the avatar of the owner, I think we as fans give him too much flak for stuff like rule changes and player punishments, when it's more the collective owners' fault.

Star players usually look like bigger stars in hindsight than they did when they were still active. The legend grows. Joe Montana was out of the league before I really started watching football, but he's still a towering presence in my mind. So it's easy to look at the NFL now and think they're lacking star power. But the reality is that new stars are always emerging - sometimes gradually, sometimes virtually overnight - to replace others who are retiring, injured, or screwing up.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Poor quality product as a result of practice times being sharply cut? This plus the non-football commentary filling the pre/post-game shows is probably 80% of it.

I agree with the second part. I really don't think the typical fan cares that much about quality of play. 

I think the other small part is that the growth they saw for a while just wasn't sustainable. A bubble for lack of a better term.

But mostly the politicization of the game. And you see it too with ESPN just getting destroyed 

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

It's definitely inconsistent and skewed towards offense; not only DB play but holding calls (or the lack thereof) in the trenches as well.

I'm with ya

100% agree

You mean Xs and Os instead of feel-good stories and too much coverage of 'heros / villains'? Agreed.

Meh, he's just the avatar of the owner, I think we as fans give him too much flak for stuff like rule changes and player punishments, when it's more the collective owners' fault.

QFT. To the bolded...i laugh at how many fans pee and moan about the commish, Instead of blaming the ownership pool. Roger is doing exactly what the owners want. 

If the NFL is going to insist on having so many primetime match ups then yes they definitely need to do a better job of handling stars. Honestly, if you're not a hardcore football fan what reason do you have to watch Colts v Titans? That's something the NBA actually has with its stars: a reason to watch teams that aren't your own. Especially now in an era with fewer and fewer dominant teams every seasonn.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

does this ratings decline account for the other methods of consuming football?

Yeah there is way more people watching than the ratings give off. I was watching a game this Sunday on an unlisted YouTube stream and it had 48,000 viewers. For a random link that you can't even search for on YouTube and that is one of many different links for a bunch of games.

Plus note sure if it counts legal streaming like Sling.

1 hour ago, bzane said:

Ahhh, but what about an obvious star-power guy like Odell Beckham (Jr.) ?

His idea of straddling 2 sports- adopting the dogleg from golf for football- has me tuning in!

Image result for Odell Beckham peeing on carpet

As I said in the OP, he's out for the entire season.

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Honestly, if you're not a hardcore football fan what reason do you have to watch Colts v Titans? 

Personally, I want a league built on hard core fans, rather than casual fans. That way they are not bowing to the whims of fickle...what have you done for me in the last 5 minutes....crowd. 

Just now, Warhorse said:

Personally, I want a league built on hard core fans, rather than casual fans. That way they are not bowing to the whims of fickle...what have you done for me in the last 5 minutes....crowd. 

That type of business model only works if the hardcore fans spend an inordinate amount of money on the product.

Archived