Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, pwny said:

We don’t know yet how Delta changes this, but

https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.12.21260377

https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.13.21260393

In essence, 81% reduction in getting COVID, 78% reduction in spreading COVID if you do have it.

So in a standard model if you have COVID with an R0 of 2.5, and your initial wave gets 100 people sick, those 100 people will then infect 250 people for a total of 350 sick in two rounds. With the vaccine, that initial group is reduced to 20, and the second group is reduced to 11, for a total of 31 people in two rounds.

Yeah-Science-Project-Gone-Viral.gif 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Don't know if posted earlier but lol.

Not sure why they didn’t just take a covid test. Vaccination is not required for domestic flights as long as you show proof of negative test before flight. Just laziness on their part. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not sure why they didn’t just take a covid test. Vaccination is not required for domestic flights as long as you show proof of negative test before flight. Just laziness on their part. 

They also had fake cards for their kids it was a dumb plan.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Brilliant. Thank you for this.

I should also note that both of those scenarios I quickly mapped out assumed that the second wave of people haven’t been vaccinated. Both sets of second waves would be reduced by 81% if those groups were vaccinated as well.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m assuming that is old info, because I have read multiple studies the vaccinated and unvaccinated carry the same viral load.

The studies I posted were last month.

The viral load being the same doesn’t mean there isn’t a reduction in spread. Having antibodies means that you fight the virus more efficiently and have less time to spread the virus. Having fewer symptoms also means that you will aspirate less of the virus when you do have the virus in your system because you’re coughing less, getting less virus on your hands to immediately transmit. And so forth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Sad doesn’t quite capture how I feel after reading this.

Infuriating? Exhausting? 

It took 1 week for a child to die. People still call this a hoax. People still threaten other parents with harm just for wanting masks, a piece of god damn cloth, to be worn. Yet their ignorance directly leads to a child's death IN ONE WEEK OF MASKLESS SCHOOL. Likely to be ignored by those same inbred swine who will continue to carry on like they are God's chosen children. All I can say is they best thank God that I don't have the power to render a smiting. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Infuriating? Exhausting? 

It took 1 week for a child to die. People still call this a hoax. People still threaten other parents with harm just for wanting masks, a piece of god damn cloth, to be worn. Yet their ignorance directly leads to a child's death IN ONE WEEK OF MASKLESS SCHOOL. Likely to be ignored by those same inbred swine who will continue to carry on like they are God's chosen children. All I can say is they best thank God that I don't have the power to render a smiting. 

All of the above and then some.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pwny said:

We don’t know yet how Delta changes this, but

https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.12.21260377

https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.13.21260393

In essence, 81% reduction in getting COVID, 78% reduction in spreading COVID if you do have it.

So in a standard model if you have COVID with an R0 of 2.5, and your initial wave gets 100 people sick, those 100 people will then infect 250 people for a total of 350 sick in two rounds. With the vaccine, that initial group is reduced to 20, and the second group is reduced to 11, for a total of 31 people in two rounds.

This is such a great way to illustrate why we need to hit a high level of vaccination in an area. Younger people often ask "why should I get vaxxed! I won't die from COVID and I can still catch it!"

Well, in reality- they need to stop thinking about this on an individual case level. They need to think about it on a community level. If you hit a high enough threshold fully vaccinated, then your community is taking the steam out of COVID. WAY less people being hospitalized from the virus; less people getting infected from the virus; a reduction of transmission if a fully vaxxed person catches it. 

People are willfully ignorant, though. They look for any excuse to avoid the shot instead of trying to understand the reality of the situation.

Luckily, my brother and sister in law finally got their shots. They were holding out for a while, but always planned to get it. I texted him earlier last week telling him cases are rising, and it's either got the shot or catch the virus at this point. I told him I just wanted them to be safe. Later that week he sent me a picture of his vaxx card. Yay!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Infuriating? Exhausting? 

Sad thing is- they think it's the mask that is taking a mental toll on their kids, but anecdotal evidence tells me it's parents acting like toddlers that makes these kids anxious. My nieces and nephews never gave two-****s about wearing a mask because their parents didn't go into fits of rage over it. In fact- they were always conscious to put on a mask when around our son. They would do it without us even asking, and were just delighted to see him. Even my 5 year old nephew- if he forgot to put on a mask- would quickly remember before us even telling him, and would run to get his mask so he could play with my son. Zero complaint. All I saw was a bunch of kids having a great time like cousins should.

Just like anything in parenting- the way a parent acts around their child has a strong impact on that kid... 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3