Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't know reliability of source, but just saw it

When it becomes a variant of concern, I’ll worry about it then.

Also hurray for passing one million cases guys….😭😭😭😭😭

drink enough GIF

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Don't know reliability of source, but just saw it

Paper: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.24.21268174v1

For twelve SARS-CoV-positive patients living in the same geographical area of southeastern France, qPCR testing that screen for variant-associated mutations showed an atypical combination. The index case returned from a travel in Cameroon. The genomes were obtained by next-generation sequencing with Oxford Nanopore Technologies on GridION instruments within ≈8 h. Their analysis revealed 46 mutations and 37 deletions resulting in 30 amino acid substitutions and 12 deletions. Fourteen amino acid substitutions, including N501Y and E484K, and 9 deletions are located in the spike protein.

T1.medium.gif

Samples originally collected in November and we're just hearing about it now. We're way, way overdue on some contact tracing, so I guess just start testing all infections in the area and see what the fraction is?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in its updated guidance on Tuesday for isolation after a coronavirus infection, recirculated its recommendations that fabric masks offer sufficient protection against spreading or contracting the virus — as long as they meet certain conditions.

The CDC said Tuesday that “well-fitting” masks should be used and referred to its existing guidance on masks, which advises that proper face coverings should have a wire that can be bent over the nose to provide a more secure fit. For people using fabric or disposable masks, it advises using a “mask fitter or brace” to “prevent air from leaking around the edges of the mask.”

• Like 1

Some good news finally?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/05/1070046189/a-texas-team-comes-up-with-a-covid-vaccine-that-could-be-a-global-game-changer

"CORBEVAX is a game changer," says Dr. Keith Martin, executive director of the Consortium of Universities for Global Health in Washington, D.C. "It's going to enable countries around the world, particularly low-income countries, to be able to produce these vaccines and distribute them in a way that's going to affordable, effective and safe."

One drawback to the CORBEVAX technology: It can't be modified as quickly as mRNA vaccines to adjust to new variants that might arise.

That forces public health officials to make difficult choices.

"Something which can be adapted the fastest versus something that can be adapted relatively quickly, but then more importantly can be manufactured at a large global capacity and at a cost of production which is much lower," says Prashant Yadav, senior fellow at at the Center for Global Development in Washington, D.C. The thought is some protection may better than no protection.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

This just keeps getting more interesting... It's almost like 'the science' is changing to help keep the economy moving before elections...Ahhh POLITICAL SCIENCE is the 'science' they are referring to...

So I guess they are using the Aaron Rodgers type of communication. What a 'bum' lol  😃

Edited by G

LONDON — An estimated 1.3 million people across the United Kingdom say they are living with long covid, new data from the Office for National Statistics shows.

The organization said that the figures, which were self reported, make up about 2 percent of the population. Around 64 percent of those involved in the study said the condition affected their daily activities.

https://www.axios.com/covid-cases-hospitals-omicron-wave-less-severe-ac81dd8b-082d-4f06-bff8-93825a0ce9a5.html

Good news

• Intensive-care units have not seen a significant increase in COVID patients even as cases explode, the New York Times reports. That's a big change from the Delta wave, and another sign that Omicron is less severe.
  • COVID deaths are holding steady at roughly 1,300 per day, on average.

Bad news

Yes, but: Even though the number is much smaller, some percentage of people infected with Omicron will become seriously ill. And if the number of overall cases is big enough, that can still translate into a lot of sick people.

• Because the virus is so contagious, large numbers of health care workers have had to quarantine after testing positive, which makes it that much harder for hospitals to absorb even a small increase in patients.
  • Children also may be more susceptible to Omicron than they were to previous variants.

I just got my booster. Waited until a year had passed. Probably had COVID in fall of 2019? My whole body hurt, couldn’t get comfortable and thought I might be developing kidney stones, lol. My sense of smell still isn’t back all the way. 1st moderna shot messed me up way more than the 2nd. 

Starting to see coworkers test positive, and miss time for flu like symptoms. I’m seeing area hospitals and ERs getting full. One patient had cyanotic/blue fingernails and his SpO2 read 36% on room air while lying flat. Nasty stuff. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1