Would the Bears be in a better place organically if not for Mack Trade?

Ty21

I wonder if anyone thinks the trade and the money tied up in Mack is more detrimental than what we could’ve had without him. Mack hasn’t played as a DPOY since his first season but that’s kinda what you want when you trade the farm for him and give him a king’s ransom. He’s also not performing fully because no one is taking the heat off him but that’s besides the point. The question is, what do you think this team would look like now and what it would’ve looked like the last few years had we drafted players and created this roster more organically? Who could you have seen the bears drafting in the slots we lost?

They would have Montez Sweat, Josh Jacobs or Hollywood Brown + Justin Jefferson or Damon Arnette + more cap room. Big deal. Cap room is a myth and none of those guys can wreck a game like Mack. Also, the Bears got Kmet with that 2 that LV sent back.

The trade was fine. The complete misses offensively have done the Bears in, not the Mack trade.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:15 AM, beardown3231 said:

They would have Montez Sweat, Josh Jacobs or Hollywood Brown + Justin Jefferson or Damon Arnette + more cap room. Big deal. Cap room is a myth and none of those guys can wreck a game like Mack. Also, the Bears got Kmet with that 2 that LV sent back.

The trade was fine. The complete misses offensively have done the Bears in, not the Mack trade.

This thread isn’t to damn the trade so much as to say what would the alternate future have looked like

They drafted a QB they believed in and used every available resource they could muster to build around him while he was still under his rookie contract. This is the modern approach, and it didn't work out because they chose the wrong QB.

If Mitch worked out and turned into Watson or Mahomes then were most likely a SB contender from 2018-2021 and the Mack trade looks like an absolute steal.

Without Mack, our defense would've still been good, but maybe not at the same elite level, and we would've had more resources to address other pressing needs. We had a solid base defense in 2017, and we could've built from this structure via FA, draft, etc, with several players. But we were only missing that ONE true player who could make an instant difference and that's what Mack brought.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I hated the trade, then was ok with it, now I hate it again after seeing all the money we "saved" not paying Mack be wasted on the likes of Brown, Joyner, Nassib, etc. 

I think that, from a Raiders fan's perspective, those things need to be looked at as opportunities, though. Yeah, they made mistakes, but at least they were able to do some stuff. And Mack wanted to be the highest paid defender in the league. That's a pretty huge deal

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

This thread isn’t to damn the trade so much as to say what would the alternate future have looked like

Hmmm.   Did this really need its own thread?   Just kidding.

Alt history is really the question.   Have to do this from memory (which isn’t good) on the quick because I have to go soon.

I don’t believe 2018 would have been the success it was.   Nagy would not have won coach of the year.   The offense was only spotty good and inconsistent.   They beat up on the bad teams pretty good.  

Mack was playing at extremely high level and rose all the boats on D in 2018 IMO.  

My guess is they have a .500 or less record in 2018 and don’t make playoffs sans Mack.   Fangio doesn’t get any HC offers and stays with Bears.  

In 2019 Pace would have been desperate for pass rush and Fangio would be threatening to quit or go elsewhere.

I am guessing Pace would have done what GB did in 2019 offseason and brought in Preston and/or Za’Darius Smith to bolster his pass rush.

I think GB gets Mack and they make it to NFC championship game where they lose to NO or the Rams. 

At this point Pace would not have been convinced MT wasn’t one year from being the guy stills he would not be thinking QB yet.

He would not be thinking his O line sucks which he should be.

My guess is Bears would have been drafting about 15th.   Pace kind of stinks at trading down so he probably drafts best player at his perceived need which is likely TE.   I think Pace was on board the I can get RBs later train, which is smart and would not have reached here.

Everyone’s 2nd rated TE that year as Noah Fant.   I think in this Alt universe Pace drafts Noah Fant at 15.

2019 plays out a little worse for Bears than it did in real life as they aren’t still inspired by 2018 season and Trubisky’s continued bad play is bringing everyone down.

In 2020 I think Pace feels like he needs to take another swing at QB now in draft and hit reset.   I think Pace drafts Jordan love at 17 in 2020 for future.  MT gets cut.   Foles is signed as bridge QB.   

He wanted to sign Rivers or Brady, but neither wanted to come here. 

Pace and Nagy don’t have the 2018 goodwill season and are only extended through 2020.

2020 Foles/Love led Bears are a .400 team, Foles gets hurt and Love plays, but not good behind that O line.    Both Nagy and Pace are fired at end of season and few think Love is the guy because he looked bad here.   

It seems, according to this highly scientific treatise,  the big Pace mistakes were not taking an OT in 2016 (Tunsil) and taking the wrong QB in 2017 (Watson or Mahomes).  Not the Mack trade. 

This trade was great.

Im speaking with no hyperbole here, picking Mitch Trubisky 2nd overall is the worst pick I have ever seen. Thats whats ruined the team and should get Pace fired. And we moved up! Just....just dont get me started

Khalil Mack was a good move......changed the defense from promising and young with a couple of vets sprinkled in to "arrived"