2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

2 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

It’s going to happen.

Neal?  I doubt it, why get Vigil then at LB if they are getting Neal because I doubt the Vikings want him at safety.  Harrison Smith is good around the line of scrimmage and putting him back as a FS is not the best option.  If they get Neal no way Neal is going to be back deep in coverage, it will be Harrison and not sure he or Zim wants that one.  

Or maybe they want a 5 DB unit, with two LBs and 4 DL.  That could make sense and help be a little more multiple but still not sure Harrison wants to be that deep safety and Neal cannot be.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Neal?  I doubt it, why get Vigil then at LB if they are getting Neal because I doubt the Vikings want him at safety.  Harrison Smith is good around the line of scrimmage and putting him back as a FS is not the best option.  If they get Neal no way Neal is going to be back deep in coverage, it will be Harrison and not sure he or Zim wants that one.  

Or maybe they want a 5 DB unit, with two LBs and 4 DL.  That could make sense and help be a little more multiple but still not sure Harrison wants to be that deep safety and Neal cannot be.  

Harrison deep, Neal at the LOS.

6 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Harrison deep, Neal at the LOS.

Not sure Harrison is at his best back deep, seems to be last year Anthony Harris had to play back deep and Harrison was allowed to move around more which is where he is at his best I feel.  Sitting him way deep in coverage is not what he does best I feel, can do it but is better moving around all over.

32 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Easy enough to invert coverages and have a nickel or corner take the deep middle of the field and let Neal/Smith both lurk in the seam/flat of rip/liz defenses.

True I just would be surprised to see Neal signed because he does not seem to fit the scheme of what Zimmer usually does, unless he plans on changing some things around with that defense.  Having a corner cover deep middle does not seem like the best coverage scheme either.  Would be pretty damn hard to go from covering tight as a corner to sprinting deep middle of the field and turn around able to see what is going on.  

Would be great if the Vikings were a little inventive and changed some things around and did different things defensively, like when they had that double A gap blitz that everyone copied, wish they would come up with more creative things like that.  

23 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

How much cap space do we have now? Do we have any chance at getting Rodney Hudson? If he even fits our scheme. SOunds like he was a great lockeroom guy.

I thought of that also, and dude was what a Pro Bowler in 2019.  Seems like a good guy and a good fit for a zone blocking scheme, is a great athlete as a center and could play guard but not sure he wants to play guard.  

Freakings nuts for the Raiders though, all the starting OL they have let go outside of one Kolton Miller, it is pretty nuts.  Apparently releasing Hudson will cost them money against the cap this year as well.  Releasing Jackson and Ingonito makes sense, even Brown if they thought he got hurt too much for that price tag, but not Hudson.

Kolton Miller
Richie Ingonito
Rodney Hudson
Gabe Jackson
Trent Brown

Now that group looks like this, I like Simpson but the rest who knows....

Kolton Miller
John Simpson 
C ?
OG ?
OT ? 

Then again they could get Vera-Tucker first round and Meinerz, Dickerson or Myers 2nd round so that could fill two of those spots.  Or they could get Mayfield or Darrisaw 1st round to fill a OL spot as well.  

I would honestly think of maybe not resigning Anthony Harris if they could indeed get Hudson and put him at OG assuming he could easily make that switch but maybe that is out of the question.  

And I cannot imagine the Bears are actually "turning" to Andy Dalton after wanting Russell Wilson.  No way Dalton is there starting QB next year but will see.  Foles is still under contract so I assume he is the starter, Dalton the backup and Trubisky who knows who wants him.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m wondering if Zimmer even values having a penetrating 3T type like he had in Cincinnati versus rotating smaller DEs into that spot in nickel. Mn hasn’t really drafted a penetrating 3T, I guess until Lynch this year, and they did sign Richardson a few years back but he didn’t really pan out as a key cog. Zimmer has had Stephen for awhile now as his starter at 3T, until last year and the one year with Richardson. 

I like the idea of having two powerful players in base in the middle of the defense with Odinigbo and Lynch working into the rotation on passing downs. Weatherly and Wonnum should compete to start at RE with hopefully a happy Hunter at LE. I still wouldn’t shy away from adding a mid round DT to push Jaleel Johnson off the team. Tomlinson looks like a major upgrade over Shamar Stephen, so I’d assume Stephen can now be released since Watts can backup at either spot.

Definitely a good question.  I kind of hope we pick up one of the 6' 7" DEs where he could be used on the interior similar to what the Giants did with Justin Tuck when they were crushing Brady.  The Vikes have always done well with 6' 5" and taller 3Ts . . . Millard, Williams, etc.  Johnny R was the abomination in that mold.  Beyond that Griffen and Robison were rotational interior pass rushers the first few years of their careers.  

So, we'll see what the future holds.  In any event, energy and tenacity is what the DL lacked last year . . . they were big enough, but didn't have the strength, fortitude and attitude to make plays.