the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think we need to worry about this with Rodgers or Adams.

I agree.   Just seems like if the extension for Adams is worth doing, then just do it and get it done so you have the money to use and not be in a situation where you do leave the leverage in the players hands.  

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

with what money??

I get everyone is like what money what money. Restructure or release someone.

When they want to make a move they will make the move to “get money”.

they can extend Adams. If they want to touch Rodgers contract there is money to be had there.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I get everyone is like what money what money. Restructure or release someone.

When they want to make a move they will make the move to “get money”.

they can extend Adams. If they want to touch Rodgers contract there is money to be had there.

Currently GB has $1.4M in space.  Not sure if all the Amos/Turner restructures are included in that.  

I get that they can, but they haven't done so as of yet with the Adams and Rodgers options.  Just seems like if they wanted to do it, they would have vs waiting until we need to for the space.  

2 minutes ago, persiandud said:

or maybe we haven't gotten close to signing anyone yet. but if we are, we got players ready to get their contracts restructured

sure.   but IMO, you are giving the end of the process leverage to the player you are asking to do the extension or restructure.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

sure.   but IMO, you are giving the end of the process leverage to the player you are asking to do the extension or restructure.  

i think guys like Adams/Rodgers would happily restructure if it brings good players in and wouldn't use that as an excuse to leverage 

2 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i think guys like Adams/Rodgers would happily restructure if it brings good players in and wouldn't use that as an excuse to leverage 

Adams can't restructure.   only 1 year left, so no where to push money to the future.   He can do an extension.  

So in that case, you are waiting to do an extension until you need the cap space, so if the player wanted to squeeze a little more out of the negotiation process, they certainly could.  I agree that Adams would likely not do that, but I just don't see the rationale to wait on doing the deal if the deal is good to do anyway.  

As it stands right now, GB will need to do something to fit the draft picks in (unless there is some unaccounted for savings that is not showing up on Spotrac)

• Like 1

The similarities between Peterson and Woodson is ridiculous.

Charles Woodson (Prior to joining us)
NFL Draft: 1998 / Round: 1 / Pick: 4
2× First-team All-Pro (1999, 2001)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
Chuck Bednarik Award
(1997)
Jim Thorpe Award (1997)
2× First-team All-American (1996, 1997)
USA Today High School All-American (1994)

Career Stats:
Total tackles: 456
Pass deflections: 83
Interceptions: 35
Return yards: 328
Interception TDs: 2
Forced fumbles: 14
Fumble recoveries: 5

Patrick Peterson
NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 5
3× First-team All-Pro (2011, 2013, 2015)
NFL 2010s All-Decade Team
Chuck Bednarik Award (2010)
Jim Thorpe Award (2010)
2× First-team All-American (2009, 2010)
USA Today High School All-American (2007)

Career Stats:
Total tackles: 487
Pass deflections: 91
Interceptions: 28
Return yards: 251
Interception TDs: 1
Forced fumbles: 2
Fumble recoveries: 3

Woodson turned 30 whilst he played for us. Peterson will turn 31 before the season starts.

Whilst Woodson received a big contract with us, in his first year he earned $10.5m. Peterson 1 year contract is $10m.

Peterson has been healthy for his entire career, only missing games due to suspension. Woodson has been quite durable other than a shoulder injury and a broken leg.

Whilst Woodson did have better overall accolades such as winning the National Championship and the Heisman but Peterson is no slouch and has put together a comparable career. He ran a 4.34 forty at the combine which suggests even if he did lose some speed he should still be particularly quick at this stage of his career. I just hope the Vikings did not find their own version of Woodson to prop up their defence. That would suck.

Edited by Chili

34 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Currently GB has $1.4M in space.  Not sure if all the Amos/Turner restructures are included in that.  

I get that they can, but they haven't done so as of yet with the Adams and Rodgers options.  Just seems like if they wanted to do it, they would have vs waiting until we need to for the space.  

You don’t make the move until you have to. Why create money to just create it? To make fans happy?

This organization does things when they need to.

I get having space will make everyone happy but they don’t NEED it until they NEED.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

You don’t make the move until you have to. Why create money to just create it? To make fans happy?

This organization does things when they need to.

I get having space will make everyone happy but they don’t NEED it until they NEED.

so player A is supposed to sign an extension when the team needs the money to free up cap space?

If the extension is a good deal to do, why wait to do it until you need the money?

When the team needs the cap space, why would the player not say, " well, I think a few more million in guaranteed money is in order"?  

Again, I don't think Adams would do that, but giving the player the leverage in this situation just seems like a risky set up

• Like 1

Presumably there are some extensions that are in the works with just a few points of contention, if the team needs the money in a hurry then those things break in the favor of the player, and if they don't then they break in favor of the team.

I mean, they're going to need to free up some more money anyway to sign the draft class.

• Like 1

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Presumably there are some extensions that are in the works with just a few points of contention, if the team needs the money in a hurry then those things break in the favor of the player, and if they don't then they break in favor of the team.

Correct. 

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, they're going to need to free up some more money anyway to sign the draft class.

And the players/agents know this.  So the leverage is with the players 

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

And the players/agents know this.  So the leverage is with the players 

Deadlines spur action, presumably the player would rather get their signing bonus ASAP but the team doesn't actually have to do anything for months potentially.  The first big deadline was "get under the cap before the start of the league year" and there isn't another one for a while unless they have a player they really want to sign.

Edited by PossibleCabbage