the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

The 26 Restricted Free Agent tenders across the NFL

1st round tenders:

1. DB Darious Williams, Rams

2nd round tenders:

1. LB Dennis Gardeck, Arizona
  2. OT Matt Gono, Atlanta
  3. RB Gus Edwards, Baltimore
  4. LB A.J. Johnson, Denver
  5. WR Tim Patrick, Denver
  6. TE Robert Tonyan, Green Bay
  7. DT P.J. Hall, Houston
  8. TE Mo Alie-Cox, Indianapolis
  9. WR Zach Pascal, Indianpolis
  10. DB Charvarius Ward, Kansas City
  11. K Daniel Carlson, Las Vegas
  12. DB J.C. Jackson, New England
  13. NT Poona Ford, Seattle

6th Round:

1. WR Cedrick Wilson, Dallas

Right of first refusal:

1. LB Zeke Turner, Arizona
  2. OG Ike Boettger, Buffalo
  3. WR KhaDarel Hodge, Cleveland
  4. DT Antwaun Woods, Dallas
  5. RB Phillip Lindsay, Denver
  6. DB Chandon Sullivan, Green Bay
  7. DB A.J. Moore, Houston
  8. DB George Odum, Indianapolis
  9. WR Byron Pringle, Kansas City
  10. OT Andrew Wylie, Kansas City
  11. WR Cam Sims, Washington

Edited by BAM

I think people saying that by cutting Lowry the Packers are now limited to replacing him for the same cap savings aren't looking at the whole picture.  Replacing Lowry isn't as simple as saying we freed up $3 mil, now we only have $3 mil to spend.   That $3 mil can also be applied to spend down a higher contract.   Potentially that means we may still have to  make further moves to free up additional cap room and the Pack could structure a contract where we may not.    Simple example - we find a better player worth $9mil/yr on the market, Packers are looking at a net of $6 mil contract now.  Beyond that simple example there are then various ways to structure a contract to bring that additional cap hit down further yr 1 so the difference between Lowry cap hit and better player cap hit yr 1 is not that substantial 

Does that better-than-Lowry player still exist on the free agent market?   Is it as simple as replacing DL with DL or can we use Lowry's cap savings to find a better player at another position.  Is a Lowry replacement player better than a CB or OL replacement player?    

Edited by Kampfgeist

The thing with Lowry as well is that you have to do somehting this year, cut or restructure, cos he is on the hook for $7.3m next season. So if we don't do something now we have to do something next season or otherwise we are paying Lowry $13.6m for the next two seasons!!!!

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

The thing with Lowry as well is that you have to do somehting this year, cut or restructure, cos he is on the hook for $7.3m next season. So if we don't do something now we have to do something next season or otherwise we are paying Lowry $13.6m for the next two seasons!!!!

His 1.5 in dead cap next year will be painless compared to a 3mil hit in this lean year and we still don't have a replacement.  I'm sure they have tried to get him to take a cut but he has no reason to and knows they don't want to pay him 3mil not to play.  In a more typical cap year, he would likely be shipped out if he didn't want to make concessions.

• Like 1

It's almost poetic that Mitch Trubisky's last pass as a Bears QB against the Packers was a completed reception to Adrian Amos. 

*Edit: forgot the Bears had a garbage drive after this to end the game, I should have said "meaningful" pass. 

Edited by packfanfb

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

We'll always have Dallas Jared.

That play is the definition of bittersweet.  That year just felt like it was supposed to be magical.  It ended poorly.  I wish I could disassociate great plays from the season’s end, but I cannot.