the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think ideally you need more than 1 CB. Are we going another off-season without at least adding a competent body to the DL? 

As for Lowry, you approach him about a paycut. Not a chance in hell he would get close to $6m on the open market right now. You go to him like we did with Lane Taylor last year and ask him to cut his salary in half. Given him an incentive to earn some of it back. 

Except Dean Lowry actually finished the season decently well.  He's not a game changer, but he's an average big.  And he should at least get another contract.  Might not get his full $6M, but he's going to get another contract.

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lowry is a perfect candidate for a pay cut. He is the highest earning "underperforming" player on the Packers. If he refuses a pay cut then cutting him will free up about $3m in cap space which is nothing to sneeze at. Can get a couple of low priced free agents for that. Due to the depressed cap some good players are going for bargain basement prices and it presents a rare opportunity to stock up on talented depth. Also signing players on 1 year deals and then letting them hit big in free agency the following year could net us some good compensatory picks. It's a good year to be proactive in FA in my opinion.

$3M really doesn't get a whole lot in FA...unless the player being signed if foregoing a signing bonus and taking a heavily backloaded contract.  Especially when most quality FAs are going to have no shortage of players.  For there being a "depressed cap", we're around ~75ish players that have an AAV of $5M+.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except Dean Lowry actually finished the season decently well.  He's not a game changer, but he's an average big.  And he should at least get another contract.  Might not get his full $6M, but he's going to get another contract.

Sure. If he was on the market right now, he'd be a 2 year, $6m type of guy IMO. 

Setting Rodgers and Adams aside, the easiest two to release for savings are Jackson and Burks.  But I only do that if every penny really counts.  Burks can still play specials and spot start if needed.  Jackson?  I have no idea what he can really do anymore.  I still think he could play zone corner, but recent "inactive" labels for him certainly counters my argument.

And really, all we need to do is the extension with Adams.  That frees up enough to draft and have money left over to operate.  After that, if there is a free agent on the scrap heap that we want, then we make decisions on Jackson/Burks/Lowry.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Sure. If he was on the market right now, he'd be a 2 year, $6m type of guy IMO. 

That's my point.  But you're releasing him for that ~$3M cap savings, and you're replacing those ~600 snaps that he had last year with who exactly?  Montravius Adams?  Tyler Lancaster?  You're backing yourself into a corner where you absolutely have to take a DL early, AND you have to have them be at least league average as a rookie.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Setting Rodgers and Adams aside, the easiest two to release for savings are Jackson and Burks.  But I only do that if every penny really counts.  Burks can still play specials and spot start if needed.  Jackson?  I have no idea what he can really do anymore.  I still think he could play zone corner, but recent "inactive" labels for him certainly counters my argument.

And really, all we need to do is the extension with Adams.  That frees up enough to draft and have money left over to operate.  After that, if there is a free agent on the scrap heap that we want, then we make decisions on Jackson/Burks/Lowry.

The savings are minimal for Burks and Jackson.  After you factor in the next man up (~600k) in terms of the top 51 salary cap, the savings for Josh Jackson are 735k and 345k for Oren Burks.  The cap savings are minimal at best.  Those aren't cap savings.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The savings are minimal for Burks and Jackson.  After you factor in the next man up (~600k) in terms of the top 51 salary cap, the savings for Josh Jackson are 735k and 345k for Oren Burks.  The cap savings are minimal at best.  Those aren't cap savings.

Hence...if every penny counts.  I don't think they do.  And the Adams deal is the easiest thing to do to let us draft and operate.

I still hold out hope for Jackson, but I fear I may be the only one left.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's my point.  But you're releasing him for that ~$3M cap savings, and you're replacing those ~600 snaps that he had last year with who exactly?  Montravius Adams?  Tyler Lancaster?  You're backing yourself into a corner where you absolutely have to take a DL early, AND you have to have them be at least league average as a rookie.

Again, I don't think it gets that far. I'm not walking into Lowry's office and firing him. But I'm pushing him to take a cut in pay, as they've done for a few other players. That extra $3m could come in handy if we're trying to add pieces. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Again, I don't think it gets that far. I'm not walking into Lowry's office and firing him. But I'm pushing him to take a cut in pay, as they've done for a few other players. That extra $3m could come in handy if we're trying to add pieces. 

How many players do you think the Packers have really asked to take a pay cut and successfully managed to do so?  They asked Bryan Bulaga to take a pay cut and he smartly told them to leave him alone.

Bronson Kaufusi is 29 years old. We would save $920k if we cut him.

KeiVarae Russell is 27 years old and had a nomad career so far but we would also save $920k if we cut him.

That's $1,840,000 saving without any cap hit.

Using the top 51 salary cap in mind the bottom two would then move up and will cost us $1,320,000 in cap space.

So we would have made a saving of only $520k which isn't even enough to sign a free agent.

Just for reference the lowest earning player has a $660k cap hit.

Dolphins were one of the teams rumored to be in on David Andrews. The Patriots resigned Karras so I'm assuming they're out too. 

If the Packers are truly interested in Andrews, it'll be interesting to see what his price point is. If we could somehow replace Linsley at $12.5m with Andrews at around half that number, it would be a helluva move by Green Bay. Andrews isn't Linsley but he's a proven starter at the position. 

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many players do you think the Packers have really asked to take a pay cut and successfully managed to do so?  They asked Bryan Bulaga to take a pay cut and he smartly told them to leave him alone.

I mean let's not compare Lowry to Bulaga. The former doesn't have the same pull. Lowry is more akin to Lane Taylor if we're comparing players and the latter took a pay cut to stay with GB last season. 

47 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think ideally you need more than 1 CB. Are we going another off-season without at least adding a competent body to the DL? 

As for Lowry, you approach him about a paycut. Not a chance in hell he would get close to $6m on the open market right now. You go to him like we did with Lane Taylor last year and ask him to cut his salary in half. Given him an incentive to earn some of it back. 

They're forced to do something there with Adams, Lancaster, Winn and Snacks as FAs. We don't have enough DL to round out the roster. But say we bring back Snacks on the vet min and drafted a guy day 2, I'm fine with that.

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Restructure and extend.  His base this season is $4.1.  Offer to replace that with a $7/2 deal, with two voidable years besides.  Have 0.5 base-per-year, or whatever the lowest base-allowed is for each year, with the rest as signing bonus.  If $6 is prorated out over 4 years, he'd cap at only $2 for this season. 

The $4.1 cap savings can now be used to sign Kevin King, and/or cover the draft class plus open another $1.6 for a roster-fill FA.  

Win for Packers.  Win for Lowry, because he's now getting $6.5 guaranteed, is getting $6.5 immediately, is staying with friends on a winner close to home and family, and is staying on a roster that will use him heavily and continue to start him.  

Edited by craig

28 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean let's not compare Lowry to Bulaga. The former doesn't have the same pull. Lowry is more akin to Lane Taylor if we're comparing players and the latter took a pay cut to stay with GB last season. 

Lane Taylor also played in 2 games prior to him lowering his base salary.  Dean Lowry played in 16 games last year and only missed 1 game in his career.