2021 Free Agency Tampering Window

textaz03

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Yes. He's more of a receiver playing TE.  If both OT's and Chase are gone, and we can't move down,  then Pitts should be the pick.  In that situation, I would rather take an elite talent than a need like CB with question marks.

The thing is...Pitts is a willing blocker who doesn't even know how to actually block yet. You get him proper training...oh man.

9 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

We thought that about Zeke.

I feel like Zeke’s HOF candidacy was always situational- as in, we would ride him to glory and back to the SB behind the league’s best OL, Emmitt-style. That was always “the plan” and not a well thought out one at that.

Others may disagree and it’s certainly easy to say now, but I never thought he was *that* special of an RB prospect. I thought Gurley and especially Saquon were more gifted coming out.

Edited by matt79511

On 3/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, SweetFancyMoses said:

Man if we took Ramsey.

Ramsey would not have had the positive effect on this team from 2016-2019 that Zeke did, especially his rookie year.  YES Ramsey would be a better player to have on this team last year and going forward. Though management has shown also we probably wouldn't have resigned Ramsey any way.  The draft pick wasn't the problem, the problem was not planning ahead on what to do after Zeke's 1st contract.   Giving RB's a second contract seems crazy as very few if any RB's ever stay at their prime past the 4-5 year window. Like the Dak situation The Jones twiddled their thumbs and waited way too long to deal with the situation when it could have been dealt with at a much better dollar amount. 

5 hours ago, quiller said:

Ramsey would not have had the positive effect on this team from 2016-2019 that Zeke did, especially his rookie year.  YES Ramsey would be a better player to have on this team last year and going forward. Though management has shown also we probably wouldn't have resigned Ramsey any way.  The draft pick wasn't the problem, the problem was not planning ahead on what to do after Zeke's 1st contract.   Giving RB's a second contract seems crazy as very few if any RB's ever stay at their prime past the 4-5 year window. Like the Dak situation The Jones twiddled their thumbs and waited way too long to deal with the situation when it could have been dealt with at a much better dollar amount. 

Waited too long, should they have extended Zeke after year 1?

11 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, they literally aren’t aloud to re-sign a drafted player until after their 3rd season... when they re-signed Zeke.

Dunning-Kruger effect is very strong when talking about NFL contracts, it seems.

Jerry re-signing Zeke with 2 years left really irked me,  especially after Jerry went to bat for Zeke in court, and Zeke repays him by threatening to hold out.  Well Jerry bit, so props to Zeke, and Zeke was so ecstatic to get an extension,  he came in fat.

23 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Jerry re-signing Zeke with 2 years left really irked me,  especially after Jerry went to bat for Zeke in court, and Zeke repays him by threatening to hold out.  Well Jerry bit, so props to Zeke, and Zeke was so ecstatic to get an extension,  he came in fat.

This is the correct answer. We paid Zeke too early, not too late, and we didn't even get a discount for it.

But IMO (generally speaking, not in relation to Zeke) people get too worked up about contracts. You don't get to make these decisions with the benefit of hindsight. You have two options 1) pay someone early and hope they prove worthy, or 2) wait for them to prove worthy, and then pay through the nose or let them walk. It's a hard balance to strike, and every team is going to make some mistakes in there.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is the correct answer. We paid Zeke too early, not too late, and we didn't even get a discount for it.

But IMO (generally speaking, not in relation to Zeke) people get too worked up about contracts. You don't get to make these decisions with the benefit of hindsight. You have two options 1) pay someone early and hope they prove worthy, or 2) wait for them to prove worthy, and then pay through the nose or let them walk. It's a hard balance to strike, and every team is going to make some mistakes in there.

Agree with this except at the rb position.    This is about the only time Jerry had all the leverage,  but he had flashbacks of Emmitt sitting out and we went 0-2, even though we won the SB that year.   Plus,  he has this delusional belief that we are Superbowl contenders every year.   Oh well.  It's the past.    I still give him credit for both our OT contracts.   They are both team friendly.   Hope they stay healthy this year.