Ryan Fitzpatrick signs a one year deal

lavar703

When I saw this on Monday, I walked away from it because I wanted to sit and think on it some more. I started thinking of the scenarios where this signing might work or at least be part of the plan. Here's what I came up with:

THE MENTOR: This is what everyone pointed to as the upside for Fitzpatrick: "He can teach the young guys how the game is played!" The only problem with this is that he's had multiple stops along the way of his career and I don't think he's ever done that for any young QB. I don't think that's in his DNA. He doesn't want to be a coach; he wants to be the QB. Also, did WFT really need to spend $10M on a reluctant assistant QB coach? But let's say that he was on board with this plan (hey, $10M to hold a clipboard and not get pounded at age 40 sounds kind of nice to me). In this scenario, Heinicke and Allen compete for the starting gig with the loser getting the backup spot. Fitz is just there to be the #3 guy.

Likelihood: 4%

THE STOPGAP: In this scenario, Fitzpatrick isn't meant to be the starter. He's just the guy that they would insert if the starter gets hurt to get them through the game. Again, Heinicke and Allen compete for the starting gig, but in this case, the loser ends up as the #3 QB with Fitzpatrick as the #2.

Likelihood: 25%? Fitzpatrick would have to be on board with being the backup but prepping every week like he could go in at the drop of a helmet. Somewhat more stressful, but at least keeps the competitor's blood flowing.

THE COMPETITION: Fitzpatrick isn't guaranteed the starter role, but is now here to push the young QBs. If one (or both) cannot beat him for the job, then maybe they don't deserve to be on the roster. Of course, given that the coach explicitly targeted them (and even traded for one of them), that might mean he doesn't belong on the job either. Risky because it does give Fitzpatrick a pathway to starting a lot of games. That's not all that great for where the franchise wants to be.

Likelihood: 60%

THE STARTER: For reasons that elude me, whatever Rivera had seen in Carolina in these two disappeared when they came to Washington. As such, he's folding up the tent on these two right here and now and trying to get the best he could reasonably find to save his second season. He realizes that if he can be okay in Washington this year, he can probably absorb the regression season and hopefully find himself in a better position to get a QB in the 2022 draft.

Likelihood: 10%

THE UNINTENTIONAL JOKE: None of the previous scenarios mention anything about drafting a QB for a very good reason: as others have pointed out juggling 3 QBs is difficult enough, but 4 is basically a non-starter. But what if Jones falls to them at 19? Or Mond is available in the 4th or 5th round when WFT comes up to pick? Furthermore, what if the rookie looks like the real deal in minicamps and OTAs? You have to think that unless Kyle's recovery suddenly slows down or he looks like a greasy hairball the cat threw up that Ron isn't cutting QB Allen-Rivera. So, sorry Heinicke, right? Well, what if Heinicke looks to be out playing Allen, but Allen doesn't look bad? Could Washington just eat the $6M signing bonus they paid to Fitzpatrick to ride with the young guns?

Likelihood: 1% and that's probably too high ... but this is WFT we're talking about here.

The problem with all of these scenarios (outside of the Unintentional Joke) is that they are just kicking the can down the road. There's zero long term advantage to signing Fitzpatrick. I know others have were down on signing Trubisky, Winston, or Mariota, but at least those guys had a possible "Tannehill to Tennessee" arc available to them. Was it likely? No, but it was light years more likely than Fitzpatrick giving them multiple years of QB play. If Fitzpatrick does end up taking snaps in minicamps, OTAs, and training camp away from Allen or Heinicke (or rookie), then that would be even more damaging as those guys need every single second available to them to have a chance to grow.

• Like 1

Count me in as happy & optimistic.

Ryan can play...yes, he'll throw a pick, but he can also hit the long td pass. He's a true gunslinger more in the mold of Brett Favre.

He's the opposite of Alex Smith.

Hopefully, he can win games for us as starter.

I'm just glad we didn't trade picks for Sam "I see ghosts" Darnold, or go after Mitch Trubisky who sucks also.

I'm pumped what we've done so far. Can't wait to see who else we add & the draft.

I will never like this signing. The idea that this somehow makes us the favorites over Dallas is laughable. Our defense will have to keep us in games as Fitz throws stupid interception. I really have no idea how this is any different from Rex Grossman? The level of praise being heaped upon this move is mind boggling to me. Good QBs don’t play for 9 times in their career. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I will never like this signing. The idea that this somehow makes us the favorites over Dallas is laughable. Our defense will have to keep us in games as Fitz throws stupid interception. I really have no idea how this is any different from Rex Grossman? The level of praise being heaped upon this move is mind boggling to me. Good QBs don’t play for 9 times in their career. 

lol i get your point, but he's definitely better than Rex Grossman. 

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree, Rex Grossman is a good comp.