Browns re-sign LB Malcolm Smith

zelbell

We are moneyball.  We will never break the bank on Linebackers under this management.

We also prefer to run a base big nickel with 3 safeties and 2 LBs.  We now have the safeties to do that.  

LBs like Smith, Goodson, and Wilson Phillips  (Mack and Jacob respectively) is pretty much what our LBs will look like, and I am fine with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

LBs like Smith, Goodson, and Wilson Phillips  (Mack and Jacob respectively) is pretty much what our LBs will look like, and I am fine with that.

I just see them wanting to draft the positions. It’s cheaper and this year seems to be a pretty decent class with Zaven, JOK, Bolton, Cox, Surratt, Fisher, Browning, Werner. Didn’t mention Micah because we don’t have a chance at him

Edited by buno67

12 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Was a Vet leader and our best consistent linebacker in Coverage....

My thoughts exactly.

He was one of our 3 best LBers last season and the best in coverage. While that may not be saying a lot, it does say he’s someone we’re better off not losing.  Instead of replacing our starters with new talent, I’d rather replace our current backups with starting talent and bump our current starters to the bench as depth.

Smith, Phillips, Takitaki are more or less penned into roster spots I’d imagine. They’re all “ok”, probably better as reserves or situational players.  We still need a 3 down stud (or at least a guy who’s “good”)

Meh...I don't think he's even remotely good. He is straight up disinterested in the run game at this point in his career. That doesn't speak leadership to me.

Whatever. If we do this draft thing right, he'll never really be on the field for us, so not a big deal. I just don't think he's good anymore...and now he's a year older.

I know PFF isn't the be all end all but he was the 7th ranked coverage LB last year

With a pass defense predicated on very little blitzing and the DL generating the pressure, good quality coverage LBs are a must in passing situations. I like it.

Edited by TeHDruiD
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

Meh...I don't think he's even remotely good. He is straight up disinterested in the run game at this point in his career. That doesn't speak leadership to me.

maybe, but his ability is the run game isn’t why he’s here.

23 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

Whatever. If we do this draft thing right, he'll never really be on the field for us, so not a big deal. I just don't think he's good anymore...and now he's a year older.

Completely disagree.  He’s still good, “pretty good” even..... against the pass.

He’s a rotational guy who should play a lot of snaps in passing situations and on special teams.  You need guys like that. That like your ideal 4th or 5th linebacker.

The problem for us last year is we asked him to be a 3 down guy out of need, which he clearly isn’t great at.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That like your ideal 4th or 5th linebacker.

I'd be fine with this. He did play way too much last year and understandably why. But man, I watched him toss the salad of every OL we played last year. He could not get off blocks and literally turned his back to OL that got to him. It was like watching a small cornerback take on blocks in there.