Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also high on Mayock's list for that year: Desmond King, Adoree Jackson.

I have been calling for King for months now.  After we got rid of Joyner and his ties to Bradley he seems like a logical choice.  I believe Bradley was the DC when the Chargers drafted King.  King can also play multiple positions and special teams.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

King has played well in the past, no? If not for them, I remember him making plays for the Chargers.

He was great first two years then fell off a cliff. 

Jackson was okay till last year then got smoked.

I'd take both on prove it deals with Hooker to finish the off season. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

🤷‍♂️

This one is growing on me and I find it interesting because after looking at this film that is a combination of his pro and college highlights you can clearly see that he would used wrong. If you look at his 49er tape they used him more as a defense of end and sometimes used him inside but in college he played primarily inside. I'm willing to bet the Raiders are going to only use them inside. Here's something I found:

“I would definitely say that I like playing inside,” Thomas told Michael Robinson recently. “That’s where I made my bread and butter at Stanford. I like playing from that 3-technique. I think I can be real disruptive there. I can get into guards. I mean, I can be a great pass rusher off the edge there (too). I really like the inside, but I also think that’s what makes me special—my versatility and to move to the outside if you need (me) to. But inside, I feel like is where I can make my money.”

Worth a flier on a guy that probably hasn't even reached his peak yet and was a top 5 pick. 

Those guys do find success at his age with a fresh start from time to time. And I have always been confused as to why he has seen so much time playing on the edge for SF. I thought he would make his money in the NFL as an interior rusher. And that's exactly what we will ask of him, as well as some 5T as the big end I'm sure. 

Another guy that if he plays up to the level he can will likely be a bargain and brings a lot of versatility to the defense. He also could just be a total bust and not offer much, but if the base value is 2 or 3 million it's certainly worth a roll of the dice to see if we can bring out some of that top 5 pedigree. 

I like the signing. It's entirely possible he doesn't even make it out of camp. But on a small, one year, prove it deal, it's worth it. See if a change of scenery and how he is deployed can help. 

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

King has played well in the past, no? If not for them, I remember him making plays for the Chargers.

His read on king may be short sited but I know he really wanted to like Jackson (due to draft status and personality) and thought he was nothing but a burn victim. Also davante adams absolutely torching him this year may be some recency bias. 

51 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

His read on king may be short sited but I know he really wanted to like Jackson (due to draft status and personality) and thought he was nothing but a burn victim. Also davante adams absolutely torching him this year may be some recency bias. 

At this point, we haven't brought in a single secondary player. I'm a little worried.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

At this point, we haven't brought in a single secondary player. I'm a little worried.

Bradley said in an interview at the start they'll build from the front. Guessing we'll start to see some back end singings coming up now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

We'll get to see if Rod is really the coach that Gruden hypes him up to be, our DL took a major step back last season. But he has some pieces to coach up now with Crosby, Yannick, Ferrell, Key, Hurst, Thomas, and Jefferson. 

There's definitely something to work with. I hope Nassib is gone. Key I'm meh on because he's showed things and then been bad.

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

There's definitely something to work with. I hope Nassib is gone. Key I'm meh on because he's showed things and then been bad.

Yeah Key has never put it all together and I'd look to add another speed rusher like Quincy Roche to replace him. But I think he's also a guy that could be coached up to be a decent rotational piece if we don't.