Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There were other issues he had to deal with besides playing out of position. Injuries, death in the family, etc. Worth a shot on potential alone.

This. he was nice in college then someone thought he could be base de then downhill 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This. he was nice in college then someone thought he could be base de then downhill 

It is interesting to see some of his college highlights. He looks pretty damn good and then such a drop off. Not saying that other players haven’t followed the same curve, but playing out of position, injury and I think it was  his sister’s suicide (?) - all could contribute massively and collectively to struggles.

I’m intrigued to see how he goes and will be pulling for him.

6 hours ago, reddevil said:

It is interesting to see some of his college highlights. He looks pretty damn good and then such a drop off. Not saying that other players haven’t followed the same curve, but playing out of position, injury and I think it was  his sister’s suicide (?) - all could contribute massively and collectively to struggles.

I’m intrigued to see how he goes and will be pulling for him.

Something interesting I saw when looking at his college scouting reports, before he even worked out at the combine, was a scout mentioning that he must have small hands and it was one of the reasons he wasn't able to finish sacks or grab a hold of guys in the backfield. 

At the combine his hand size was 9 3/8" which ranked the 15th percentile and his arm length 33" ranked in the 35th percentile. 

He definitely is a physical specimen though, his forty: 4.69 (90th percentile), vertical: 35" (85th percentile), broad jump: 126" (96th percentile), 3-cone: 6.95s (93rd percentile), 20-yard shuttle: 4.28s, and bench press: 30 reps (80th percentile) make him one of the most athletic defensive linemen we've seen come into the league the last decade. 

He was always on a stacked defensive line in San Francisco and was playing out of position. We saw Leonard Williams go from 0.5 sacks to 11.5 sacks in a new scheme playing in a position that fit his strengths better. Not saying that Thomas will replicate that but he's definitely a guy that has potential. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if these guys will solve our interior pass rush but David Irving, Quinton Jefferson, and Solomon Thomas are all intriguing guys that could be impact players for us. Irving and Jefferson will both be 28 and Thomas will be 26 when the season starts. So it's not like any of these guys are old, washed up veterans like we typically bring in. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not sure if these guys will solve our interior pass rush but David Irving, Quinton Jefferson, and Solomon Thomas are all intriguing guys that could be impact players for us. Irving and Jefferson will both be 28 and Thomas will be 26 when the season starts. So it's not like any of these guys are old, washed up veterans like we typically bring in. 

Agree. I think ‘intriguing’ is the word. Could be that Jefferson is what he is, but isn’t able to elevate those around him. That Thomas continues to disappoint and he simply isn’t that good a player. And that Irving never regains his physique and fades out.

Equally, there is a chance that one or two of them put it together. It is certainly an interesting environment for them to come into and to compete against each other on these 1 year deals to essentially make or break their careers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Agree. I think ‘intriguing’ is the word. Could be that Jefferson is what he is, but isn’t able to elevate those around him. That Thomas continues to disappoint and he simply isn’t that good a player. And that Irving never regains his physique and fades out.

Equally, there is a chance that one or two of them put it together. It is certainly an interesting environment for them to come into and to compete against each other on these 1 year deals to essentially make or break their careers. 

Right that’s where I’m at. Do you have three talented young players at a position of need one of them in particular was used wrong. One of them came out of retirement because a rule that kept him getting suspended is no longer a rule. The other guy is a system player. The idea is that one of them sticks. And then there’s still a chance that we draft a defense of tackle in the first two days

4 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Agreed. All 3 come with major question marks but all 3 definitely have a ton of upside as well, especially Irving and Thomas. Gruden has hyped Rod M up to be the greatest DL coach ever, lets see what he can do with a full off-season.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. All 3 come with major question marks but all 3 definitely have a ton of upside as well, especially Irving and Thomas. Gruden has hyped Rod M up to be the greatest DL coach ever, lets see what he can do with a full off-season.

It also helps that we have a bonafide edgerusher now(Ngakoue) To go with the complementary edgerusher we already have(Max Crosby) to take pressure off of the 3T spot. That also matters

This is my favorite transaction by the Raiders so far.
I will always remember shooting Mitch and Solomon up the draft boards after this game. Loved Solomon as a prospect and I am happy we are bringing him onboard for a shot. Hope his knee checks out and he can earn another Raider contract.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You've got the underachiever (Thomas), the overachiever (Jefferson), the second chance player (Irving) and the draft steal (Hurst). It should be a fund competition. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You've got the underachiever (Thomas), the overachiever (Jefferson), the second chance player (Irving) and the draft steal (Hurst). It should be a fund competition. 

With the best DL coach in the league according to Gruden.

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With the best DL coach in the league according to Gruden.

Rod deserves a mulligan. The man is as respected a Dline coach as you will find in the league. Last season was out of character for him. Maybe it was Guenther's fault like everything else? 

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Rod deserves a mulligan. The man is as respected a Dline coach as you will find in the league. Last season was out of character for him. Maybe it was Guenther's fault like everything else? 

In fairness he didn't get OTA's or preseason games and they had a limited/weird training camp. So the amount of coaching he was able to give to guys was probably like 1/5 of what he'd give during a regular off-season. Because during the season I'm sure most weeks were more so focused on game prep than individual skill development. 

Buckner had the boys down in the Desert playing well though. 48 sacks, an 8 sack improvement from the previous year without Chandler Jones. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Where does Ferrell fit in ? Lots in here thought he was a fit for moving from 5T to 3T on passing downs?