Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He can rush inside and outside.

I meant how he is going to get snaps inside if we have Jefferson, Hurst, Thomas.

If he’s rushing outside that means Crosby isn’t and he’s been a better pass rusher than Ferrell to this point. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:47 AM, big_palooka said:

All for depth on the Dline, but would much rather seen a quality starter at 3T added you can go into the season feeling good about. 

Current state at 3tech is all hope that a player can rebound (Irving) or break out (Thomas, Hurst).

True, true. But, with the number of players with obvious potential we've brought on board we hedge our bets to a degree I feel. Odds that they all can be starters is very low but the odds that one of Irving, Hurst, Thomas, Jefferson can be more than a rotation piece I think are reasonable. Vickers flashed in patches last year too so it would be remiss to not mention him as well. If I'd bet on one it would be Thomas after loving his 'tape' as a DT when he was drafted.

Maybe none actually play at a starter level which is why we should also draft at least one DT, and one in the first couple rounds.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

True, true. But, with the number of players with obvious potential we've brought on board we hedge our bets to a degree I feel. Odds that they all can be starters is very low but the odds that one of Irving, Hurst, Thomas, Jefferson can be more than a rotation piece I think are reasonable. Vickers flashed in patches last year too so it would be remiss to not mention him as well. If I'd bet on one it would be Thomas after loving his 'tape' as a DT when he was drafted.

Maybe none actually play at a starter level which is why we should also draft at least one DT, and one in the first couple rounds.

Yeah a lot of question marks for us at DT. Irving and Thomas both have potential to be impact players, imo, but it's a stretch. If Barmore drops to #48 I'd love to add him there. Levi Onwuzurike at #48 would also be a nice pick. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

I meant how he is going to get snaps inside if we have Jefferson, Hurst, Thomas.

If he’s rushing outside that means Crosby isn’t and he’s been a better pass rusher than Ferrell to this point. 

On early downs in the scheme you have a Ferell as the base end.  One of Yannick or Crosby at LEO.  Passing downs you get both Crosby and Yannick on. Ferrell adds to the inside options we have. 

Crosby and Ngakoue are better pass rushers then Ferrell but they are bad against the run. Ngakoue is actually really bad against it. If you start them both teams won't have to pass the ball and then it completely nullifies their strengths as pass rushers.

Get Ferrell on, force them to throw it and thats when you see Ngakoue and Crosby eat.  Having a nice rotation to keep them all healthy and rested too is going to help. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah a lot of question marks for us at DT. Irving and Thomas both have potential to be impact players, imo, but it's a stretch. If Barmore drops to #48 I'd love to add him there. Levi Onwuzurike at #48 would also be a nice pick. 

Are them anymore talented then what we have or any less of a question mark?

I think we're had that many DTs come in so we don't have to go 3tec in the draft. We can have that gamble in FA save the early picks for other positions.  If none of them works out its a 2022 draft problem and hopefully its a  better class for it. Let's be honest it's probably the weakest part of this draft defensively

1 hour ago, OnlyGlove said:

Are them anymore talented then what we have or any less of a question mark?

I think we're had that many DTs come in so we don't have to go 3tec in the draft. We can have that gamble in FA save the early picks for other positions.  If none of them works out its a 2022 draft problem and hopefully its a  better class for it. Let's be honest it's probably the weakest part of this draft defensively

I think Levi and Barmore are both good players, just not worth 1st round picks. At #48 I'd be happy with either guy. 

4 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

On early downs in the scheme you have a Ferell as the base end.  One of Yannick or Crosby at LEO.  Passing downs you get both Crosby and Yannick on. Ferrell adds to the inside options we have. 

Crosby and Ngakoue are better pass rushers then Ferrell but they are bad against the run. Ngakoue is actually really bad against it. If you start them both teams won't have to pass the ball and then it completely nullifies their strengths as pass rushers.

Get Ferrell on, force them to throw it and thats when you see Ngakoue and Crosby eat.  Having a nice rotation to keep them all healthy and rested too is going to help. 

I forgot about Irving. If Ferrell isn’t going to play edge on passing downs he isn’t going to get many snaps is he? 

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

I forgot about Irving. If Ferrell isn’t going to play edge on passing downs he isn’t going to get many snaps is he? 

We could have a super heavy inside rotation, which could be good, since we will have fresh rusher everytime. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeh, there's no certainty there for sure but I like that we have 2 or 3 horses in the race which gives us more chances. Hopefully one can be the great resurrection project we'd all love. Agree with Barmore and Levi O as guys I'd really like to add and I'd add in Nixon too at that spot, I do expect Levi O and Barmore to go end of 1st though if I'm pessimistic!

20 hours ago, Dessie said:

Inside we have 2 rushers on every down. Plus Crosby and Ngakoue aren't playing every 3rd down. Ferrell will play a lot of snaps.

wasn't ferrell legitimately anemic when he slid into DT in either of the last 2 years?

that they've tried to play him there and he failed doesnt suddenly make him versatile lol. they tried him there mostly as a rookie because he was ineffective rushing from the edge and they tried something new. didnt work. he improved from the edge in year 2, but he certainly doesnt have the look of a passrusher worthy of having gone top 5

Edited by Turnobili