Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, Dessie said:

Where does Ferrell fit in ? Lots in here thought he was a fit for moving from 5T to 3T on passing downs? 

Ferrell will still get a decent amount of pass rush snaps, plus he’s gonna get more snaps than Yannick and Crosby overall since he will be starting games and is still a much better run defender than both of those guys. 

I assume It’s not a consensus opinion but I like how the DL has come together.  While I did want a stud like L.Williams that was always very unlikely. 
We now have our high end pass rusher at LEO with YN.  We also have very good depth that can play multiple positions.  We can keep players Fresh with A strong rotation.  I expect to see us use Lots of twists and stunts to generate pressure.  We have the speed and length to be really successful with them.

9T LEO: Ngakoue, Crosby, Key

3T DT: Jefferson, Hurst, Thomas, Irving, Vickers (in no order)
1T NT: Hankins

5T: Ferrell Nassib 

We’ll see Ferrell/Nassib at 3T on occasion and Thomas/Jefferson/ Irving etc At 5T.  Crosby will rush from both sides.  To put this unit into a depth chart in many ways does a disservice, as so many Of the players have multiple roles and there are no “set” positions.  

Im Actually high on the Thomas signing of he’s healthy and under 3M in cap Hit.  I think this is the type of scheme and rotation where He can become 70% of what he was thought to be when drafted.  He could be be a 7 sack guy on this team.  But he could just as easily Play Better and only end up with 3 sacks.  We’re going to see a lot of team Sacks.  Sacks where the 2nd guy through gets the sack.  YN can tee off on the QB from that 9W alignment and really open up rushing lanes.  Im Actually excited to see this DL.  
part of me Still wants to draft a NT in rounds 4-5 to Replace Hankins in time but If We didn’t I’d understand.  Its Likely we only carry 9 DL, which means Key and or Vickers could be cut. 

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I assume It’s not a consensus opinion but I like how the DL has come together.  While I did want a stud like L.Williams that was always very unlikely. 
We now have our high end pass rusher at LEO with YN.  We also have very good depth that can play multiple positions.  We can keep players Fresh with A strong rotation.  I expect to see us use Lots of twists and stunts to generate pressure.  We have the speed and length to be really successful with them.

9T LEO: Ngakoue, Crosby, Key

3T DT: Jefferson, Hurst, Thomas, Irving, Vickers (in no order)
1T NT: Hankins

5T: Ferrell Nassib 

We’ll see Ferrell/Nassib at 3T on occasion and Thomas/Jefferson/ Irving etc At 5T.  Crosby will rush from both sides.  To put this unit into a depth chart in many ways does a disservice, as so many Of the players have multiple roles and there are no “set” positions.  

Im Actually high on the Thomas signing of he’s healthy and under 3M in cap Hit.  I think this is the type of scheme and rotation where He can become 70% of what he was thought to be when drafted.  He could be be a 7 sack guy on this team.  But he could just as easily Play Better and only end up with 3 sacks.  We’re going to see a lot of team Sacks.  Sacks where the 2nd guy through gets the sack.  YN can tee off on the QB from that 9W alignment and really open up rushing lanes.  Im Actually excited to see this DL.  
part of me Still wants to draft a NT in rounds 4-5 to Replace Hankins in time but If We didn’t I’d understand.  Its Likely we only carry 9 DL, which means Key and or Vickers could be cut. 

I never thought of the idea of Nassib as a 5T. That’s a very interesting take.

I won hundred percent agree with everything you said especially what you said about Solomon Thomas. I’ve been pretty vocal about David Irving and what I think he’s capable of but I do think if there is anyone who can win the job over him it’s Solomon Thomas who is more talented than him in certain areas(but Irving is more talented him in other areas) The 3T spot is going to be in a very interesting competition in camp that I’m going to keep a close eye on.

https://overthecap.com/player/solomon-thomas/5587/

Solomon Thomas signed a 1 year, $3.25 million contract with the Raiders. The contract has a max value of $5 million and Thomas received $2.74 million in guarantees.

510K not guaranteed on the 3.25M are a per game roster bonus. No detail on how he'd get to 5M (stats and team results would be my guess). 

So on the dline, we have a bunch of guys paid the same and whoever earns the playing time gets it. It's gonna be a dogfight in TC.

46 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

https://overthecap.com/player/solomon-thomas/5587/

510K not guaranteed on the 3.25M are a per game roster bonus. No detail on how he'd get to 5M (stats and team results would be my guess). 

So on the dline, we have a bunch of guys paid the same and whoever earns the playing time gets it. It's gonna be a dogfight in TC.

Keep the best and let the weak ones kick rocks.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Keep the best and let the weak ones kick rocks.

And if they are all weak?

I like competition, but I don't see it with this group. Should be improved (because how could it not be after last year) but still far from a strength. 

The defense feels like it's relying a lot on Bradley to retool it and massive development to it's young players. Feels very boom or bust vs. solid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I like competition, but I don't see it with this group. Should be improved (because how could it not be after last year) but still far from a strength. 

The defense feels like it's relying a lot on Bradley to retool it and massive development to it's young players. Feels very boom or bust vs. solid.

I think Quinton Jefferson has a shot at being pretty good.  I think he will rise to the top.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Spot on - but what choice did they have this off season? I suppose they could have tried to trade for someone Hicks or a few people had suggested Jonathan Allen. But given the FAs and the lack of quality in the draft early on - seems like a sensible approach. 

Who knows....maybe we’ll strike it lucky!

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Spot on - but what choice did they have this off season? I suppose they could have tried to trade for someone Hicks or a few people had suggested Jonathan Allen. But given the FAs and the lack of quality in the draft early on - seems like a sensible approach. 

Who knows....maybe we’ll strike it lucky!

Agreed, really not a lot they could have done. There wasn't star talent to add, so they did the sensible thing. In the end, I don't think it elevates them outside the bottom 3rd of the league in defense. To many question marks and no A players outside Yannick. 

These young players either develop or they will be blowing it all up next year.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed, really not a lot they could have done. There wasn't star talent to add, so they did the sensible thing. In the end, I don't think it elevates them outside the bottom 3rd of the league in defense. To many question marks and no A players outside Yannick. 

These young players either develop or they will be blowing it all up next year.

It has to come from the young players and the vets playing IDL. If they can't step it up, the defense will look rough. I can't rule out another pass rusher in the early rounds either.

The 1y, 5M is really 1yr, 3.25m

As stated before it’s a 1.99M salary plus 750k signing bonus and 510k from weekly game bonuses when he’s active.  Since he was only active 2 games last year it’s “likely” he’s only active for the same thing so the cap hit is only 2*(510k/17) or 60k.... but you gotta have cap room for the whole 510k because as soon as he plays more then 2 games his cap hit this year goes up with each week he’s active.  This kind of thing is why teams only leave cap space open going into the season.

Really good contract imo.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Dessie said:

Where does Ferrell fit in ? Lots in here thought he was a fit for moving from 5T to 3T on passing downs? 

Wishful thinking has me saying we trade him to some super needy team desperate for a DE with no pass rushing skill. That would be a great fit for him. 

(If it's not clear, I'm not a fan of him at all)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Wishful thinking has me saying we trade him to some super needy team desperate for a DE with no pass rushing skill. That would be a great fit for him. 

(If it's not clear, I'm not a fan of him at all)

Ferrell has a role. He's a good run stopper setting the edge. That's important. He's flashed some pass rush ability. He took Beckton who had a great rookie year to task on 2 pass rush attempts. If he was drafted in round 2 or 3, I don't think we'd be as hard on him. It was a bad draft pick by Gruden at 4